Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: New to HP tuners here questions....

  1. #1
    Potential Tuner
    Join Date
    Jan 2019

    New to HP tuners here questions....

    I have a 5.3 out of a 2002 suburban I'm wanting to swap into my street car. Question is do you recommend I buy the MPVI2 with 2 credits for $400 to start with or go another route? Newbe here so any help you guys can give a beginner would be great.

    thanks in advance,


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    If you plan to tune it you will need a tuner. If you are swapping it to a car with trans and same axle ratio and are leaving everything stock then no. Assuming you are swapping and building a new harness to retrofit to car or piecing together the harnesses for ecm/tcm/etc. ? Whatever ecm/tcm you are using is the VIN you are purchasing the credits for. If you are tuning it with mods, buy a wideband. I use the AEM-30-0334 X-Series with OBD2.
    Last edited by DGS; 1 Week Ago at 12:27 PM.

  3. #3
    Tuning Addict 5FDP's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Rogers, MN
    You'll need the tuner just to make the stock computer run and to disabled all related codes for parts and sensors you are not using. Buying the MPVI2 and 2 credits will be required to do that.

    His wideband suggestion is a good one but your computer can't use the OBD2 port for logging the wideband, consider the cheaper AEM UEGO to monitor real time air fuel ratio's.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.