Thread: Need Help with tuning the MAF

Tuner in Training

Need Help with tuning the MAF

I have a 2006 Ion Redline that's twincharged. I paid a company to remote tune the car and for 6 back and forth logs the MAF constantly freaks out when the turbo is told to kick on. When the turbo starts to push air the MAF jumps up and down pretty violently, which then bucks the engine. so I figured I would learn to do it myself and reach out for any help.

Thanks for the help i'll upload a log if someone requests it

Advanced Tuner
    Always post up the tune and log file if you wish to get any kind of help
    Last edited by TCSS07; 01-05-2019 at 11:01 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    Post a tune, log, charts, etc. so we have something to work with.

Tuner in Training
    OK yeah that smart, thanks
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    Why is you baro reading so low? The vehicle is in closed loop and coolant temp is well below operating temp.. Intake air temp seems very high. It exceeded the coolant temp at over 200 F.
    Last edited by DGS; 01-08-2019 at 07:45 PM.

Tuner in Training
    I Dont Know. I didnt mess with the tuning of the car, i figured something might be off so i came here looking for some assistance

Advanced Tuner
    I would download and compare the tune to one in the repository. Your boost limits are set to 100% vs. 60 and 80 from a comparison tune file.

Advanced Tuner
    How is the induction system set up? Where is the maf located at? Because your iat1 is all over the place and reading that high (im guessing by the turbo for the maf location) of temps is not good and will throw your fuel trims way out of wack due to the constant temperature changes. What is the full mod list of the vehicle - tb,injectors,cai,exhaust,head work? where do you live? Because as DGS pointed out your baro reads 80kpa when it should read 99kpa
    Whoever tuned your car disabled some important dtcs like for timing correlation, fuel trims lean/rich, maf performance - so you'd basically have no idea if there was a problem which isn't good
    here's the link for the lsj guides - https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...965-LSJ-Guides -
    ill attach the injector spreadsheet that a couple members made for the injectors - thank you omega and 04redline - i use there 80's data without the short pulse adder on my car with 80's and runs fine but for the 60's I preferred the data that SJSchafer provided - thank you SJSchafer - i'm not saying the 60's data wont work in the spreadsheet because they will but more so saying my car felt and idled better/smoother with SJSchafers' data personally - your injector data I've seen in some 60's files from zzp not 80's - i also don't run the injector modifier because ill shoot off the cylinder airmass axis so i technically "scale" my tune/tunes
    do you have a wideband installed on your vehicle? - if not, get one asap otherwise your playing with fire doing pulls not knowing the actual afr
    Attachment 86042
    Attachment 86040
    Last edited by TCSS07; 01-13-2019 at 12:26 PM.

Tuner in Training
    ok thanks thats alot of good information for me. here is the total mod list:

LS4 T/B
    80# injectors
    3.6 pulley
    cyclnders bored .040 over
    no head work
    water/methanol injection

yes i do have a wide band installed but its only reading when it first cranks at idle then wheni press the gas it maxes out to the right and doesnt go back down. ZZP is the one that started this tune but after 6 modifications to the tune its not getting better so this is the other route i am trying. The MAF is after turbo and after the BOV

Advanced Tuner
    set the etc scaler to 4950 for the ls4 throttle body - takes a fair amount of touchiness out of it
    your call on what you want to do about the injectors - if you change them to SJSchafer/spreadsheet you'll have to redo the maf and ve
    ok i was wondering about the maf - id try to isolate the heat if possible or maybe move the sensor further away from the turbo because like DGS said and i noticed the iat1 is all over the place which doesn't help trims but that might be a side effect of the twin charge setup but i don't know ive never dealt with one before so i don't have anything to compare experience wise
    well id say get yourself another wideband 02 sensor at least whenever you can but if you know the afr is proper then its not really a must must have at the moment but still rec getting that working again
    next time you log make sure the ect is up to at least 170 and the oil temp is about the same (usually takes about 20 min of driving) because cold/vs hot oil temp will effect the trims - just want you to get good data
    and always reset trims after you make a change to the airflow models

here is my channels list and layout i use for my lsj
    Attachment 86048
    Attachment 86047
    Last edited by TCSS07; 01-13-2019 at 01:48 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for the help i'll let you know how it goes

Tuner in Training
    Well the good news is that after messing with this for the past few hours and novice thinking i'm now able to get some readings on the wideband even though they are fluttering left and right as low as 11 all the way to max so heres the numbers if you can chime in and see where i can do more. thanks again guys
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    The numbers look way better than the first one(s). Is your altitude 6-7000 ft.? I question your barometric sensor reading. Can you post or tell us the ignition key on MAP and BARO sensor readings? Can you post a log with wideband readings, are you logging just AFR with the wideband or is it a stand alone sensor and gage? It's definitely on the rich side. Why is there a 20 degree differential between Intake Air Temp 1 and 2? Sorry for all the questions, just looking for more information. You could probably proceed with a MAF tune if the sensors are reading correctly. Then start to work on the fuel.
    Last edited by DGS; 01-20-2019 at 06:42 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Yes the Altitude is 6-7K Feet, i'm in Colorado springs, CO. Theres a big difference between IAT1 and IAT2 I believe because of the maf being somewhat close to the turbo but that's the farthest I can put it. Where can I find the readings your asking for? The wideband is an AEM stand alone. I don't mind all the questions. lol

Advanced Tuner
    theres nothing you can really do about the iat1 and iat2 because of the turbo setup - im helping a friend dial in his lsj turbo swap and its the same thing - all i can say if maybe get some exhaust wrap and do what you can
    why is your pe ratio commanding a 16 afr now? set it back to how you had it - that should be set at 1.250 (11.76) at least and tune the maf to read a 11.76 off the wideband using wideband error
    Dont ever pe rape a tune
    yeah your trims are quite rich but its to be excepted with the changes you made to the injector data - your just going to have to drive it and removed/add fuel where you need. if the error is more than 10% make the changes by full % - if there under 10% make them by 1/2% so you dont overshoot your mark and when you start getting close to your mark and you nit pick like i do with my own car youll have to make even more subtle changes - shoot for a -5% ltft
    are you on the mpvi1 or mpvi2? if your on the mpvi1 the files i sent you already has a mpvi1 - aem-4110 so you should be able to log it - you just need to have it wired into the io plug for the mpvi1 or connected to the pro link but youd have to remake the pid for it for the mpvi2 - i havent had a chance to - or another way is to hook it up into a 5v ref circuit like ac pressure sensor but youd have to set up a new customer pid to log it
    Last edited by TCSS07; 01-22-2019 at 08:05 PM.