Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: T87A controller versus T87

Tuner in Training
    I believe it?s an SUV harness and not a truck harness. They?re not interchangeable, the transfer case and trans came from factory together.

Tuner in Training
    Overnighted a new engine/trans harness, for the record lol the SUV harness may look identical but it is far from that. The fuse box portion is completely different and will not work.

Tuner in Training
    I need to send you a Tcm for you to flash a 2015.5 Tune for me!

So does this mean I can swap a t87 in to a 2017 Corvette Grand sport and not have to go the unlock route?

If you can find a used 2016 T87 from a Corvette with all of the same important options, it will pop right in there and work great (tunable). Or if you have a 2016 available, you can order a new T87 (cheap) and set up the T87 to work in the 2016 then install it in your 2017. I am not as familiar with the exact details of the Vette as I am with the truck/SUV options.
    Last edited by IARLLC; 01-13-2021 at 01:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by IARLLC View Post
    If you can find a used 2016 T87 from a Corvette with all of the same important options, it will pop right in there and work great (tunable). Or if you have a 2016 available, you can order a new T87 (cheap) and set up the T87 to work in the 2016 then install it in your 2017. I am not as familiar with the exact details of this as I am with the truck/SUV options.
    Sounds good, thanks.

Tuner in Training
    So today I tried another t87 Tcm, and I can read and write that as well.. but it?s a diesel program.. so what I have in my mind, someone correct me if I?m wrong.. I want to write ecm and Tcm with truck vin that has 5.3/8l90 configuration, then truck will throw theft light and I go in with hp tuners and change the vin back to my vin and get rid of the theft light? That?s my plan any ideas?

Tuner in Training
    I need someone that has a 2016 suv or truck with 8l90 that can program an ecm and Tcm so all I have to do is change vin and ride. Because the main goal here is my ecm isn?t talking to Tcm because they have mismatch o/s and I can?t make them match while in my truck for vin limitations.. who can do this for me?

Sorry that I am too far away. Otherwise, I'd be happy to do it.

Tuner in Training
    Bro I will ship you an ecm and a Tcm and I?ll pay you to do it..

Advanced Tuner
    Are you guys aware of this:

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=546872

Everyone is having problems with the way HP Tuners is supposedly programming back in the solenoid data, honestly I don't think they are doing it or at least its not reliable.

Tuner in Training
    Okay, so I?ll just segment swap my ecm to be a clone of an 8l90 truck (literally just learned I could do this) and then I just need an 8l90 t87 Tcm.. I have a shot t87 and a t87 with a diesel program.

Tuner in Training
    My Tcm is t87 not t87a i don?t have to unlock mine it?s already unlocked

Tuner in Training
    Also your problem is there is a flow characteristic number on the side of your trans that your Tcm needs every Tcm has a specific one for it and if it?s wrong none of your shit will shift right

TrkNrrs is right. The individual flow characteristics of each solenoid do affect the shift characteristics, especially at light throttle. A junk-yard TCM may have come on a rig with totally different solenoid data, so it will shift weird in a different rig unless the solenoid data from the current rig is programmed. When I have swapped a T87 temporarily from a L86/8L90E 2015.5 Yukon Denali to a 2017 Silverado (same 3.23 gear ratio) to see if it was possible, it was just to find out if I could. Later, when I ordered a new T87, I programmed it on a 2015.5 Denali together with the Denali PCM but I used the solenoid info from the Silverado. Then I popped it into the Silverado and tuned away.

As cmitchell17 points to, there is an issue with trying such things via the HPTuner's unlock process. If you send them a junk-yard T87A to unlock and it has never been programmed to your trans data, it won't shift very nicely. As far as I know, they don't have any way to program your solenoid data into a T87A that comes from a different rig. The only way that their unlock process can truly work smoothly is to send them your TCM or at least 1 that has been programmed on your rig with your data. Then they can unlock it and you can tune it.

Quote Originally Posted by TrkNrrs View Post
    Okay, so I?ll just segment swap my ecm to be a clone of an 8l90 truck (literally just learned I could do this) and then I just need an 8l90 t87 Tcm.. I have a shot t87 and a t87 with a diesel program.
    Very cool! I was hoping that was possible but not sure.
    TCCM can still keep you from starting the engine until you run it through the lean process (takes a little over 30 seconds with no tools).

Quote Originally Posted by TrkNrrs View Post
    Bro I will ship you an ecm and a Tcm and I?ll pay you to do it..
    Sorry man. I am on the other side of our spinning ball until travel restrictions are lifted. We'd love to come back to the US, get some rest, and hang out with our families, but I would not be able to finish up my contracts over here and that would destroy my business...so we keep at it until things ease up.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by IARLLC View Post
    Very cool! I was hoping that was possible but not sure.
    TCCM can still keep you from starting the engine until you run it through the lean process (takes a little over 30 seconds with no tools).
    Segment swap worked. So now it?s just the Tcm. My tune date is February 9th and my brother?s is February 15th. So I can swap dates with my brother but it has to at least be done by the 15th.

Advanced Tuner
    I am thinking about sending my original stock one into HP Tuners to get it unlocked, this would ensure I have the correct solenoid flow data and there just might be probably an extremely small chance that it could fix the bad shift quality and hard, too fast 3-4 up shift that occurs randomly with no consistency.

It sounds like you are saying above that we can segment swap the T87 or T87A, so does that mean we can potentially full flash them? So I could full flash a Corvette or CTSV tune file to my TCM? I really want to try this since I feel their calibrations might be better than the Camaro calibration and might shift more consistent and smother, but this is of course a big hope.

As far as I understand, TrkNrrs segment swapped his PCM to an OS that is designed to run the 8L90E is it came with a 6 speed.

No idea about actually segment swapping the TCM.