Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: T87A controller versus T87

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by IARLLC View Post
    As far as I understand, TrkNrrs segment swapped his PCM to an OS that is designed to run the 8L90E is it came with a 6 speed.

No idea about actually segment swapping the TCM.
    Yes that is correct!

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by cmitchell17 View Post
    I am thinking about sending my original stock one into HP Tuners to get it unlocked, this would ensure I have the correct solenoid flow data and there just might be probably an extremely small chance that it could fix the bad shift quality and hard, too fast 3-4 up shift that occurs randomly with no consistency.

It sounds like you are saying above that we can segment swap the T87 or T87A, so does that mean we can potentially full flash them? So I could full flash a Corvette or CTSV tune file to my TCM? I really want to try this since I feel their calibrations might be better than the Camaro calibration and might shift more consistent and smother, but this is of course a big hope.
    It does not allow segment swapping between different models. Has to be truck/truck Camaro/camaro v/v as far as I?m aware, because the corvette and truck use the same e92 so I went to see if the vette o/s could be segment swapped with the truck o/s for shits and giggles.... and possibly a full lt4 or lt5 swap in the future.. 👀 huh? Did I say that lol

Tuner in Training
    Programmed Tcm in with my TUN in it, my tuner told me to just put my original tune on without the segment swap. I did I?ve driven the truck and all is fine. Had like 6 codes for wrong solenoid data, drove the truck and they all went away. I still have the po700 code for transmission control mil, and when I clear the DTC it doesn?t go away. Idk I guess I?m headed in the right direction though

Glad to hear bout the progress.

P0700 is just the generic OBD2 code indicating that you need to read the real codes from the TCM.

Tuner in Training
    Glad to hear bout the progress.

P0700 is just the generic OBD2 code indicating that you need to read the real codes from the TCM.
    I will add that the truck will remote start with the light, and it runs it?s ass off!! No hesitation between shifts what so ever.. will fry the tires off from a roll 1st-5th gear 😂😂😂

Yeyah!!!! It is all worth it

Tuner in Training
    Yeyah!!!! It is all worth it
    So my lights for p27A7-p27AD all came back, but the truck is driving fine 🤷🏼*♂️

How can I do a fast learn with HPTUNERS?
    *never mind I figured it out, gonna recheck fluid levels and do the fast relearn
    Last edited by TrkNrrs; 01-31-2021 at 09:16 PM.

Great Info and great thread!

Quick question, how do you change the VIN in the cluster?

I'm thinking about swapping in an L83 or L86 into an older platform along with a 10 speed and want to use a newer cluster as well.

Possible with a different platform VIN? As long as it matches the BCM?

Quote Originally Posted by TrkNrrs View Post
    So my lights for p27A7-p27AD all came back, but the truck is driving fine ����*♂️

How can I do a fast learn with HPTUNERS?
    *never mind I figured it out, gonna recheck fluid levels and do the fast relearn
    Is your L83 stock bottom end? Any other mods besides the LT4?
    How's fuel economy IF you can keep your foot out of it?

You can change the VIN in the cluster with an MDI or Mongoose GM/GMPro and a GMTDS https://www.acdelcotds.com/ subscription. We used to be able to buy it in 2 day chunks with unlimited VINs. Now you license 1 VIN for 2 years of updates.

Yes, the cluster needs to match the BCM in order to work. Even when you program the cluster you have to input the correct mileage for the BCM or the odometer will stop working.

You can change the VIN in the cluster with an MDI or Mongoose GM/GMPro and a GMTDS https://www.acdelcotds.com/ subscription. We used to be able to buy it in 2 day chunks with unlimited VINs. Now you license 1 VIN for 2 years of updates.

Yes, the cluster needs to match the BCM in order to work. Even when you program the cluster you have to input the correct mileage for the BCM or the odometer will stop working.
    Thank you sir!

2 years later and I'm bringing this back up where I left off..
    Seems the only difference from a E92 and E92A ecu is one pin that gives the TCM a shift lever position signal and is voltage. Without this the trans stays stuck in 3rd gear as a limp mode. I need to double verify this and dig up all my wiring diagrams and get a loaner. I believe this signal can be replicated without the need of a E92A and that would allow the 10spd to be retrofitted in any older car/truck.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by chameleon View Post
    2 years later and I'm bringing this back up where I left off..
    Seems the only difference from a E92 and E92A ecu is one pin that gives the TCM a shift lever position signal and is voltage. Without this the trans stays stuck in 3rd gear as a limp mode. I need to double verify this and dig up all my wiring diagrams and get a loaner. I believe this signal can be replicated without the need of a E92A and that would allow the 10spd to be retrofitted in any older car/truck.
    Nice info here. I've got an L83/6L80e from 2019 (3 pin fuel pressure sensor) It came bolted on, wiring harnes, but it came without the ecm and I have no access to the original truck. Is there a way of pull out the original VIN from the TCM? I can access to it via the stock harness.

Tuner in Training
    Can someone help???

2018 ecu & tcu from sent the T87a to hptuners to unlock. I did the tcu swap feature in scanner under system tab. It works BUT everytime I shut off vehicle and restart it goes into limpmode and have to repeat process to get out off limp.

Any suggestions???

Thanks

Potential Tuner
    Any updates on a 8l to 10l harness or wiring diagram? I have an unlocked and programmed tcm for the 10 speed

Potential Tuner
    Here is my situation I?m looking for some help!

I have a 2016 5.3 Sierra with 8L90. I just replaced the 8L90 with one from a 2018 6.2. I?ve learned that my T87 will not work the 2018 8L90 so I?ve purchased a T87a. I?m not interested in tuning, only programming. Will I be able to program and sync the T87a to the 2016 ECM?

You should be able to use the newer trans with the T87. The only rbi g you should able to do is program your original T87 with the TUN info from the newer trans. I can do this on the bench for you if needed.

As far as I know that should be it.
    If someone else knows something else maybe they can chime is.

Potential Tuner
    I?ve read from another member that in 2018 8L90 GM changed the internal PRNDL and that only the T87A is compatible with this version and newer 8L90?s. I understand this, just wondering about the T87A being compatible with my 2016 ECM. Everything I?ve found online says it is.

Potential Tuner

T87a

Quote Originally Posted by chameleon View Post
    So now the question is, can an unlocked T87A from 2017/2018 be put in a 2015 and work just like the reverse swap of the 2015 T87 into the 2017/2018..
    Im going to buy a T87A and send it to unlock and put it in my 2015 and if that works then the upgrade to a 10L90 should work as well just as long as i figure out he wiring differences..
    now the other question is there are a shit ton of T87A controllers out there with 4 or 5 different part numbers.. yet they all look exactly the same and are T87A .. what even matters where they come from or software they have loaded if when they get unlocked and Hptuners gives you a generic file for whatever you tell them you have, that would mean that they would all work exactly the same.. right ?
    Can you help me? I have a very similar situation. Were you ever able to get a T87A to work in a pre-2017 vehicle?

I?ve installed a 2018 8L90 in my 2016 Sierra and have found that I need a T87A for this application. HP Tuners can?t program to my VIN.

Ah that?s right forgot about the that part.
    Quote Originally Posted by eastdawg737 View Post
    I?ve read from another member that in 2018 8L90 GM changed the internal PRNDL and that only the T87A is compatible with this version and newer 8L90?s. I understand this, just wondering about the T87A being compatible with my 2016 ECM. Everything I?ve found online says it is.