Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: newb e40 speed density question

newb e40 speed density question

hey guys i am a newb to hp tuners. i just bought the tunning schools gm tuning for beginners. I am putting a torqstorm blower on my 2005 gto. I bought the DPE 2.5 bar map sensor. Which OS do i use 2 or 3? I have not even loaded my stock tune with hp tuners. I am taking my time and trying to learn as much as i can before i start. I have seen GEN 3 speed density videos but no GEN 4.

The E40 is like a hybrid between a gen 3 and gen 4 computer. It shares tons of the same tables and looks when comparing them.

Those blowers will make under 15 psi of boost and more like 8-9psi depending on engine rpm so to me it's a better idea to run the 2 bar OS.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

So should i ditch the 2.5 DPE map and buy a 2 bar. Or can i still use the 2.5 bar map with the 2 bar OS or can i run it on a 3 bar system? Sorry for the questions but i am new to this.

The sensor can be whatever you want it to be, the data just has to match it in the calibration.

You could run a 3 bar MAP sensor on a NA car if you really wanted too.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

ok cool. thanks for the info. I have all winter to research before i try to tune the gto. i will keep looking things up and reading all i can.

The DPE sensor is fine. They should have provided the specs to put in your tune. Under Engine--Airflow--Map---change the Map sensor Linear and Map sensor Offset to the numbers supplied with your map sensor. If you ditch the MAF sensor, be sure and split off the IAT sensor into the intake stream just before the Throttle body. It is required for calcs. You have a 2 bar upgrade that you can select and it is free. Have fun!
    2000 Camaro SS 2015 L83 port injected, Whipple 3.0, 4L80E, 8.8 Ford
    2013 Silverado 5.3, 6L80k 8.8

Quote Originally Posted by Lakegoat View Post
    The DPE sensor is fine. They should have provided the specs to put in your tune. Under Engine--Airflow--Map---change the Map sensor Linear and Map sensor Offset to the numbers supplied with your map sensor. If you ditch the MAF sensor, be sure and split off the IAT sensor into the intake stream just before the Throttle body. It is required for calcs. You have a 2 bar upgrade that you can select and it is free. Have fun!
    Cool thanks for the info. I have the breakout harness for the iat plus i bought the caspers 36 inch extension cable so i will have enough room to put the iat in the pipe befor the TB.There are specs on the bag the sensor came in. Thats cool the 2 bar map is free. While i have been looking in the repository at speed density tunes i noticed KPa only goes to 105 shouldnt it go higher in the tables with the higher map?

There are 2 VE tables in the E40 when you upgrade to the 2 bar OS if I remember right. There is the primary VE and the boost VE, that table will go from 105-210kpa.

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    There are 2 VE tables in the E40 when you upgrade to the 2 bar OS if I remember right. There is the primary VE and the boost VE, that table will go from 105-210kpa.
    Great thank you again. I am sure i will have more questions when i start tuning.

I have another question what do you think would be the best max timing to tune for at WOT? 13* give or take a degree? Stock long block ls2, I will be running 93 pump gas no meth 3 in core FMIC.
    Last edited by saleen9973; 01-12-2019 at 08:34 PM.

Can't really say to be honest.

Lower boost levels can let you run more timing than you think if the fueling is on point. A dyno would really let you know if you stopped making good power gains after a certain point. Like say you were making 10-15hp per degree of timing added but then reach a point were you only gain 5hp per degrees, you'd know then that you should stop and take it down 2-3 degrees from where you stopped adding.

That is just a crude example of how you could use a dyno. So it's possible that on 6-8psi you can get away with 15-19 degrees no problem without knock and safe fueling.

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Can't really say to be honest.

Lower boost levels can let you run more timing than you think if the fueling is on point. A dyno would really let you know if you stopped making good power gains after a certain point. Like say you were making 10-15hp per degree of timing added but then reach a point were you only gain 5hp per degrees, you'd know then that you should stop and take it down 2-3 degrees from where you stopped adding.

That is just a crude example of how you could use a dyno. So it's possible that on 6-8psi you can get away with 15-19 degrees no problem without knock and safe fueling.
    You always give solid info. I will start at 13* WOT. log and look for knock, when i start tuning. I will also pull plugs and inspect them. All this until i can get it on a dyno. I have been looking in the repository at some of the boosted ls2 gto tunes and i see some with high timing, well more than i would be comfortable with. On the other hand this summer i was running 20 degrees on a 125 wet shot with no knock. Also i purchased fuel injector clinic 72lb injectors from them with all the info. They sya just copy and paste the info into HP tuners. How do you feel about these injectors?

FIC makes good stuff. If they gave you the data just enter it as it's shown.

If you are at 58psi fuel pressure, make sure the data for the injectors is for that pressure. If the 72#is for 3 bar (43#) then you use the 4 bar data on the injectors in your tune which is higher than 72. The E 40 max fuel injector is 63#. For a larger injector, you must do the double stoich method to accept the larger injector.

I do believe the 72 is for the 58psi fuel pressure. So now I will research the double stoich method now. Can anyone point me in a good direction for this method?

I found a video from the tuning school on early e38 and e40 ecu. Using injectors larger than 63.

Double the stoich, half the flow rate and half the IVT terms. That is the fastest way around the 63lb/hr limit.

^^^ Yep. If running SD, don't forget to go to Engine--Airflow---Dynamic--Dynamic Airflow and make Hi rpm disable 8000 and re-enable 7900.

More great info. Thanks. In the video I watched from the tuning school on YouTube the guy did it another way. He went into flow rate vs volts table and put the difference between injector size there. Will I have to do this method plus double stoich to scale the injectors?

Which way should I use, the double stoich or the one from the tuning school video? Or both? Thanks.