Thread: NewB with 08 Escalade EXT need help

Potential Tuner

NewB with 08 Escalade EXT need help

Hello, i am excited to have joined the HP Tuners family this week and i decided to get myself an MVPI2 after spending money on 2 different tuners who were unable to leave me satisfied with the tune for my truck after doing the following mods. 08 escalade EXT 6.2/6L80E with 223/234 .625/.625 112 lsa cam, speed engineering longtube headers, borla dual exhaust, magnaflow hiflow cats, Ported L92 intake, LS3 TB and 2800-3200 stall, tru-cool 40k AT cooler. The last tuner locked the ECU/PCM and vanished. Truck is having the following issues: Cold starts sometimes dies/stalls when rpm is constantly fluctuate between 600-1000. Same thing occurs when driving, it stalls at times at the lights when i see rpm drops to 500 get the stability track and traction control lights/warning come on and die but i can easily restart truck again and continue, is shifting horribly, i have to give it gas and increase rpm to shift to 1st, 2nd and 3rd and once i get going it kind of downshifts, manual shifting is much easier and less revving, i know the stall makes a difference from stock but am not happy at all and keep getting screwed by letting other tuner basically tell me how bad the other guy did and i end up with the same product anyways. Please help me, i finally was able to learn how to data log and get a copy of the current tune. Please let me know if i did alright on my first mission. For the log, i was only able to log what is a normal day driving for me with stop and go traffic and a little freeway time. My apologies before hand!!!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    For starters, i would recommend downloading the Bluecat Transmission tool and using it to set your shift points. That will help a lot. I would set the torque management settings back to stock in the transmission.

https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...Table-Software

I'm guessing you need to rework the VVE table and probably the MAF curve as well. You'll need a wideband for this if you don't have one but you can use fuel trim for everything except WOT. Idle fueling is jacked up and that's probably 80% of your problems. Another good resource is Big Mike's idle tuning guide. Get your fueling right, or at least way closer, and then use his guide to start refining your idle.

https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...e-tuning-guide

Potential Tuner
    Thank you Sir! I really appreciate your input and advice. I'll utilize the links you provided me.

Advanced Tuner
    Post back with your results

Potential Tuner
    I will as soon as i can figure it out, at least how to work things out, seems so complicated and challenging.

Potential Tuner
    Confusing thou.....

Potential Tuner
    Growing impatiently.....this is my daily driver for now and does not run as i would like it to.

Potential Tuner
    Since i dont have the stock tune anymore, not sure what the first tuner did with it, can anyone please chime in where i should start? Am reading posts and the more i read the greater my confusion gets. Only mods on truck is the 223/234 .625 lift 112 lsa cam, longtubes, HF cats, LS3 TB, Ported L92 intake, 2800-3200 stall. I am eager to learn from you guys!

Kinda gotta do what the guy in post 2 says, get a wideband and start fixing the airflow model so you can bring fuel in check.

With how lean it is right now per the fuel trims it needs a lot more fuel all over the place. I bet you put this into a quote unquote MAF only tune and added 5-10% to the entire MAF curve, those fuel trims would come down a whole lot.

You can't really do a ton with your idle settings nor can you do any timing or performance stuff like wide open throttle tuning until the airflow model is correct. Fueling needs be correct first for the majority of the tune before going after the finer details.

Your transmission issues and stalling issues can be directly related to many things I just talked about.

Buying a book or two and or taking a course for newbies to the game is never a bad idea. ERM Performance offers a good course for new members at a decent price.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner

2nd update

Here is a newer update, i still dislike how it shifts (takes longer to shift 1st, 2nd, 3rd) not sure if my 2800-3200 stall is so loose, idle still fluctuates between 1000 to 600 rpm however has not stall even thou it feels like it will, had the stability track/traction off light come on twice but did not die. I also had some engine knock/ping when i get on the on-ramp when entering the freeway at times. To be honest, not sure what i did but it think that's how you learn right, by not being afraid to mess things up? Please provide inputs/feedback. I appreciate it!
    Attached Files Attached Files

You can log knock retard, but you aren't right now.

Fuel trims are still way around 20-30%, needs alot more work there.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    Okay thanks, any other advice as to what should i be looking at regarding the changes or numbers

Potential Tuner
    I am sorry guys I had an accident and the truck is currently at the shop for the past 2 weeks or so, will have it back hopefully next week so i can continue working on it. Will have updates shortly!