Thread: 411 swapped, now 4L60e swap

Tuner

411 swapped, now 4L60e swap

Hey guys, I’m new to HP Tuners, and this is my first post.

I have a 1983 K5 Blazer with a 1997 Vortec 5.7, 1983 700r4/NP208.

I did the 411 swap using the Painless harness that was previously running my engine. The Painless harness came pre wired for a 4L60e.

For the 411 swap, I used the Express Van tune to get me started, then cleaned it up, tuned for the cam, etc.

I now want to go 4L60e. I?ve been reading up on the 3 main styles of 4L60e and haven?t come up with much as far as controlling the thing.

Finally, my question:

Which 4L60e do I need? I would like to run the 2 piece case with 6 bolt out put as it is has a beefier housing and is readily available pretty much on every corner.

Will my 411 run it basically plug and play once I add the VSS?

Anything with PWM for the TCC to think about?

Adapters to bolt up the flywheel/converter?

It sounds like all the bell housings will bolt up provided I have the correct flywheel and converter.

Sorry to post such a long winded first go at it.
    Last edited by wlwarnke; 01-08-2019 at 07:20 PM.

Tuner
    A few months ago, I purchased a 2wd 4L60e core, it is a 1998 model, that originally came behind a SBC. I also picked up 4x4 output shaft, and a master rebuild kit, transgo calibration kit, an ATSG manual, as few tools, went at it. I finally finished the rebuild last week by bolting on the AA VSS adapter. All in all, it wasn't too difficult of a job and I was able to make quite a few improvement over stock.

I have the new tune ready to go, by basically doing a compare to a stock Express van, and then using the speedo tool to reset all the shift tables. Hopefully, I can do this transplant in the next week or so. ( Just borrowed a tranny jack from a buddy.)

4L60e.jpgVB.jpgVSS.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tuner
    The core had burnt 3/4 clutches (piston seals, and warped apply and backing rings), worn planets, broken sprag springs, missing 3/4 springs, and the harness plug had broken tabs so it wouldn't stay snapped in.

I replaced all bushing, seals, etc, reman planets, new sprags, Alto red eagle clutches and steels, with 3/4 power pack, .500 boost, transgo kit, vette servo, TCC bypass valve assembly.

This biggest cost of the entire job was the Advance Adapters VSS kit, but it should make the swap a lot easier since the VSS is before the NP208 transfer case. This will allow me to keep my cable driven speedo, and let the PCM control the tranny without anything else added. According to AA, with the addition of this adapter, the overall transmission length will be the same as the old 700r4 so my cross member and drive lines should go right back into place with out any additional work.

Tuner
    Just finished the install.

It is amazing. I used the Bluecat program to come up with the tables for me. It worked out great. I did copy the shift times from the performance table into the normal table, and that was better, then I just zeroed out all the times. Thats way better. Light throttle is a little aggressive, so I may slow them down to maybe .25s.

It is so nice to have a perfectly working trans in my truck finally.

The Advance Adapters kit was flawless. I didn't use the supplied allen bolts to mount the xfer case adapter because I wouldn't have been able to get a wrench in there. I just reused the original bolts.

Too bad nobody wants to reply or give any input.

This may be my last post.