Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MPVI2 not recognized??? Won't connect. I have tuned many vehicles with it previously

MPVI2 not recognized??? Won't connect. I have tuned many vehicles with it previously

Went on the Dyno today to tune a Customer Vehicle and my MPVI2 unit can no longer be recognized. I installed the latest software and driver but no luck. When I look in the Device Manager it recognizes it as a "USB Serial Converter" I've tried different cables and different ports. Windows does make the audible connection noise and the unit powers up as well.
    Both the scanner and the editor can't recognize it and it won't sync. I have tuned many vehicles with this unit before but no luck today. Luckily I still have the MPVI1 so I was able to get the car out.

Anybody else have this issue??

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    To rule out a pc related issue please try on an alternate pc, if you still have the same issue contact support for an RMA.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Potential Tuner
    CRAZY - Im having the same issue same time - did all teh same as mentioned and same results... I guess I have to look for another lap top

Me too....sitting here with a car I need to tune. Glad to see I'm not the only one
    09 LNF: K&N Cai, ZZP IC, Injen IC piping, 3bar maps, efr 6758 (440whp!), Zeitronix E85 gauge, Innovate LC-1, WOTbox, HPTuners/Selftuned

Tuner in Training
    try a new usb cable mine fried and did the same

I've tried 3 cables
    09 LNF: K&N Cai, ZZP IC, Injen IC piping, 3bar maps, efr 6758 (440whp!), Zeitronix E85 gauge, Innovate LC-1, WOTbox, HPTuners/Selftuned

This is getting very difficult to deal with from a business standpoint. A few days after my initial post I decided to attempt to connect again with the same laptop and it connected as it should. So I assumed everything is all good to go for my next dyno appointment which was today. And to my dismay it won't connect and recognize the MPVI2 again!! I had to let my customer go. I installed all the software on a new laptop now at the end of my work day and it connects with this one for now. It would be great if this can be resolved. It seems like a lot of people are having the same issue
    Last edited by Musky@RG; 01-28-2019 at 08:49 PM.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by Musky@RG View Post
    This is getting very difficult to deal with from a business standpoint. A few days after my initial post I decided to attempt to connect again with the same laptop and it connected as it should. So I assumed everything is all good to go for my next dyno appointment which was today. And to my dismay it won't connect and recognize the MPVI2 again!! I had to let my customer go. I installed all the software on a new laptop now at the end of my work day and it connects with this one for now. It would be great if this can be resolved. It seems like a lot of people are having the same issue
    If you run into an issue on your new pc let us know and we can do an RMA and test the interface here.

Potential Tuner
    Me too, I installed it kinda late at night...got the Channel A, Channel B in device manager...so I though call it a night. The next day I plug it in and it only shows up as "USB Serial Converter" I tried another computer and had the same results. So I did a clean reload of Windows (from a MS Windows install disk...not a recovery disk...don't like all that junk-ware that comes with any laptop) and installed all the latest drivers. I installed the HP Tuners Software, plug in the MPVI2, Windows recognized it, let it use Windows update to find the drivers, and the same thing, it shows up as "USB Serial Converter". It say FTDI is the provider of the driver, I have a cnc machine at work that uses a FTDI USB Serial Converter
    Don't know what else to try.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by br408408 View Post
    Me too, I installed it kinda late at night...got the Channel A, Channel B in device manager...so I though call it a night. The next day I plug it in and it only shows up as "USB Serial Converter" I tried another computer and had the same results. So I did a clean reload of Windows (from a MS Windows install disk...not a recovery disk...don't like all that junk-ware that comes with any laptop) and installed all the latest drivers. I installed the HP Tuners Software, plug in the MPVI2, Windows recognized it, let it use Windows update to find the drivers, and the same thing, it shows up as "USB Serial Converter". It say FTDI is the provider of the driver, I have a cnc machine at work that uses a FTDI USB Serial Converter
    Don't know what else to try.
    Install the MPVI2 drivers found here https://www.hptuners.com/downloads/

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for the reply Bill.

Just to be sure, as that downloaded file is an executable and not a folder with drivers and an ini or inf file, I should run the setup first, then plug in the MPVI2 as this is usually how it is done with most usb devices.

Thanks for the help, Bill.............my name is also Bill

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    connect your MPVI2, run the exe, it does the rest.

Tuner in Training
    For more testing.....Why not try the Bluetooth Feature to do your Scanning when the problem comes up again.
    Love this feature, im able to scan the car with the laptop on the bench..

Potential Tuner
    Does it only work with windows or IOS is also possible?

Quote Originally Posted by Musky@RG View Post
    I'm having the same issue. I RMA'd my MPVI2 and got it back today with no explanation as to what was done. Nothing works...still doesn't' connect. I've tried 4-5 cables, 3 different computers and it just doesn't work. Shows up as USB Serial device and Generic USB hub. No idea what to do.

The trusty MPVI1 works every time

Quote Originally Posted by wgr73 View Post
    I'm having the same issue. I RMA'd my MPVI2 and got it back today with no explanation as to what was done. Nothing works...still doesn't' connect. I've tried 4-5 cables, 3 different computers and it just doesn't work. Shows up as USB Serial device and Generic USB hub. No idea what to do.

The trusty MPVI1 works every time
    Fixed the issue.

What worked for me was removing the USB Serial Converter, uninstalling it. Once I did that I plugged the MPVI2 back in and had it install the drivers again (windows does this by default). This allowed it to connect and resync the interface

Tuner in Training
    I also had a similar problem with my MPVI2.

It worked for about a week, scanning and a several flashes... then it would intermittently loose communication. Tried different USB ports and it would momentarily connect and scan then quit. Eventually it stopped all together and I noticed none of the lights (power light etc.) were coming on when it was connected. My laptop was still noticing it being plugged in (audible chime) but it wouldn't work. Tried a different laptop, different vehicle, and different cable... all the same result.

I did a support ticket and they sent me a return label after verifying that I had tested on multiple laptops/vehicles. Once they got the MPVI2 back, they verified that it had failed. They promptly sent me a replacement (kudos to HPTuners for using next day air shipping). The replacement one lasted about 2 days and then had the same issues as my original. (It was again promptly replaced by HPTuners.)

Having 2 in a row die on me has got me thinking that something is wrong on my end... but I don't know what.

I really don't want to have another one die on me, especially when I'm in the middle of flashing (what if I brick an ECM?)... but at the same time, I need to get this car back on the road ASAP. (Last time the MPVI2 died, there was a tune on the car that would barely run.)

Anyone else have this issue and determine that something on their end was causing the MPVI2s to die (laptop, or their car)?

Yikes, I have been considering the upgrade; but this makes me pause.

Potential Tuner

Angry Lies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    To rule out a pc related issue please try on an alternate pc, if you still have the same issue contact support for an RMA.

I would really like to know what is inside the firmware update that automatically decides to download with out a prompt first . Witch in my eyes is illegal as you should be asked and told what the hell it is ? Hp is far from telling the truth on this topic .
    I really feel this is there attempt to shut down the older boxes with a firmware update and in doing so fucked up the firmware for newer Mvpi2. I say this only because I kept reading these issues and decided to test it . I did a full log and read and write with the unit . Then supplied a net connection and it re-synced to there websight sending a firmware update for the Mvpi2 ( witch i didn't agree to run ) and then nothing . I could see the mvpi2 but wouldnt connect to the car . So i got my other unit out that wasn't updated with firmware and it was fine. So i moved to another car and no dice .
    Didn't apple try this shit in a attempt to make older cpu useless ???
    I do not know seems fishy as hell to me . With support being slow and Hp facebook page being completely useless we are stuck using this bullshit !

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesbtri43 View Post
    I would really like to know what is inside the firmware update that automatically decides to download with out a prompt first . Witch in my eyes is illegal as you should be asked and told what the hell it is ? Hp is far from telling the truth on this topic .
    I really feel this is there attempt to shut down the older boxes with a firmware update and in doing so fucked up the firmware for newer Mvpi2. I say this only because I kept reading these issues and decided to test it . I did a full log and read and write with the unit . Then supplied a net connection and it re-synced to there websight sending a firmware update for the Mvpi2 ( witch i didn't agree to run ) and then nothing . I could see the mvpi2 but wouldnt connect to the car . So i got my other unit out that wasn't updated with firmware and it was fine. So i moved to another car and no dice .
    Didn't apple try this shit in a attempt to make older cpu useless ???
    I do not know seems fishy as hell to me . With support being slow and Hp facebook page being completely useless we are stuck using this bullshit !
    Whats your ticket number?