Thread: M156 cam timing tuning/tune limitations.

Tuner in Training

M156 cam timing tuning/tune limitations.

2010 C63
    After receiving a great tune from MEP performance, I decided to start fresh and give it a go myself.
    Fastest time in the quarter mile using e85 is 11.94 @119mph. All season tires, no burn out, starting from idle, and an extra 400 pounds of passengers. Car drives fantastic and has all the options of all the other tunes(exhaust pops/burble, throttle blip on downshifts). Car is absolutely awesome.

When it comes to cam timing, will the difference in tuning be able to be felt by my butt Dyno? Car has never been on a Dyno, only street tuned.

The idle cam tables don?t work at all. 1% throttle input and it jumps to the correct cam timing tables, back to idle and it jumps back to a default value for both intake and exhaust. I?ve commanded 15 degrees on every cam table and it works perfect off idle for following the tables. Back to idle and not commanding any of my values. I?ve been attempting to ?park? the cams different for a more aggressive idle. Support has no followed up.

Also upset there is no way to control fueling outside of driver demand(wot). Gas mileage is piss poor at 1 lambda on e85. I have improved my gas mileage once my maf and spark timing were perfect, so I?ve gained a tad. 200 miles to a tank, driving nice.
    Last edited by harmless; 01-09-2019 at 10:49 PM.

I would assume if you bought a tune from MEP that he tuned the cam timing tables. But there are definitely substantial gains to be made over stock if you're starting over with the cam timing!

Ive found the idle cam tables don't seem to work as well. I tried to set it up for the "ghost cam" crap just to see how it would sound and could not move the cams at idle. I didn't put a ton of effort into it honestly after it didn't just work.

Someone else had posted before about changing the stoich lambda. You can try and raise the stoich min and max to achieve a leaner cruise. They never reported back if that worked on their car from what I can remember. BUT, on corn you are going to lose SOME MPGs, its just the nature of the beast. You can def minimize it with cruising leaner and increasing timing further in the cruise areas.

Tuner in Training
    I tried this on my car, even though the I had 1.05 lambda targeted it, it would only correct to 1 lambda. So I'm not sure if i've got the wrong table, but I wasn't able to get it anyleaner.

Tuner in Training
    That person was me. The min and max stoich only work in driver demand mode(wot). Hp tuners made it clear to me that 1 lambda was hard coded in. Maybe they just haven?t given us all the table we need yet.

Same thing with the cams, idle tables only work in driver demand mode... meaning it?s pointless. The scanner reports it?s using tables I can not see.

Current tuning wall is injector multiplier. Decreased my maf to shift different, increased injector multiplier and when I floor it I get limp mode.
    Last edited by harmless; 01-10-2019 at 08:24 PM.

Have you raised your permissible tq from pedal table??

Tuner in Training
    I?m assuming I should treat this table with care, increasing percentage wise till limp mode is no longer an issue?

Good to see you're giving it a go yourself Philip!

I've been trying to adjust Idle cam timing as well to get the ghost cam effect but I do think a few tables are missing. It would definitely sound awesome on these motors. I do have Winols and just spent quite a bit on the M157 map pack so with HP Tuners available for this platform don't see myself buying a map pack for the M156 anytime soon. It would show us what what tables would need to be adjusted though.

Backyard just to reply to you, I didn't want to touch the cam profiles until we had the car on a dyno. Some vehicles make power on certain settings where as some lose power, but a dyno is best for fine tuning.

If I do make any breakthroughs with the ghost cam, I'll definitely be in touch

Bader Norris
    MEP Tuned
    Telephone: +965-55446651
    Email: [email protected]
    Instagram

Sounds good! Ill prolly give it another shot just for "science purposes" lol.

Tuner in Training
    Download the beta right now and you will be very pleased. There are now base position, lock-pin, and intake/exhaust max lines. Also a small base table. I contacted support and this was their response. Hats off to them.

Up to 31 degrees wot on e68. Injector is almost maxed so this is where im at till i get bigger injectors. Permissible torque table tweak took away my odd limp mode while modifying the maf and inj multiplier.

It was shutting off because of misfires, but i was being a little aggressive with it. Returned it to the normal idle till I learn some more. Is there a concern of damage to the valvetrain also?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qs8M7ZQkjlE

Update: using the wot tables results in a throaty idle but still very smooth. The idles that chop good and rev good end up misfiring and shutting off.
    Last edited by harmless; 01-26-2019 at 11:05 PM.

I dont think that beta is public. Im not showing anything different in the publicly available latest beta

BUT, did you raise the idle speed when doing this? On the Mustangs I know they idle around 1k when doing the "ghost cam" thing

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by BackyardTurbo_FTW View Post
    BUT, did you raise the idle speed when doing this? On the Mustangs I know they idle around 1k when doing the "ghost cam" thing
    I did not try that yet.

Here is the link, i just used the one on the download page. http://files.hptuners.com/VCM%20Suit...e%20(Beta).msi

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by harmless View Post
    Download the beta right now and you will be very pleased. There are now base position, lock-pin, and intake/exhaust max lines. Also a small base table. I contacted support and this was their response. Hats off to them.

Up to 31 degrees wot on e68. Injector is almost maxed so this is where im at till i get bigger injectors. Permissible torque table tweak took away my odd limp mode while modifying the maf and inj multiplier.

It was shutting off because of misfires, but i was being a little aggressive with it. Returned it to the normal idle till I learn some more. Is there a concern of damage to the valvetrain also?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qs8M7ZQkjlE

Update: using the wot tables results in a throaty idle but still very smooth. The idles that chop good and rev good end up misfiring and shutting off.

What did you use to achieve this?

Over/Under Timing Corrections?
    Cam timing?

What values at idle?

Thank you for your time,
    DK