Thread: Issues building boost

Tuner in Training

Issues building boost

Alright, so I feel like I've tried everything and I can't get my car (which has an upgraded turbo) to build more than 8-12 psi of boost.

Some of the things I've tried:
    - Increasing all the torque maps under 'Torque Management' - 'Driver Demand'
    - Increased the power and torque values under 'Torque Management' - 'General' and 'Torque Model' - 'General'
    - Increased 'Desired Load' and 'Maximum Load' under 'Airflow' - 'General'
    - Increase the 'Wheel Torque Limit, Var 0' under the Transmission section 'Torque Management' - 'General'

What's surprising is that I actually have a binary version of the tune for my car that I was using before switching to HP Tuners, which was able to build around 22 psi. I also did an ECU read on my car in its tuned state with HP Tuners and then tried flashing this tune back onto the car, but it goes from building 22 psi back down to 8-12 psi. I'm thinking maybe there are some missing parameters that HP Tuners isn't catching, which are preventing me from increasing boost? Does anyone have any suggestions for what to try here? Or maybe someone from HP Tuners can take a look at my binary version and what ends up in the .hpt file to figure out if there are missing parameters?

What are the car details and what setup do you have exactly? Also, post up your tunes and logs.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Illmat1c View Post
    What are the car details and what setup do you have exactly? Also, post up your tunes and logs.
    The car is an 8J Audi TT with an EFR7163 turbo. I've attached the original and tuned binaries as well as the .hpt file that I'm currently trying to get working.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    logs plzzzzzz

Tuner in Training
    I might post some logs later, but at this point I think I figured out the problem and fixing it will require an update from HP Tuners. I'm going to submit a ticket after posting.

I misspoke a bit in my earlier post when I said I tried flashing the .hpt file I read while the car was in a working tuned state. What I did was transfer over all the map values to the .hpt file I had from a stock read. I did an experiment to get a better handle on what's going on here:

For clarity, I have two .hpt files, A and B. A = read from the car in a tuned state (using the tuned_working_boost file from my earlier post), B = read from car in stock state, but then all available maps from A have been copied over in VCM Editor. So, to further clarify, A and B appear identical within VCM Editor.

I flashed the car with A and went for a test drive. The result was as desired, the car made 22 psi of boost. I then flashed the car with B and went for a test drive. Flashing with B resulted in the car making near stock levels of boost, so back to the non-working condition. As a result, I think it's clear that VCM Editor isn't showing the maps necessary to properly increase boost for this car. I'm going to send in both .hpt files and ask that HP Tuners expose the maps that are different inside VCM Editor so that we can actually increase boost.

Advanced Tuner
    HP Tuners doesn’t read the tuned file or actual file on the car, it matches your binary with a binary already on their server and sends that stock binary that matches your software variant

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerJDubbs View Post
    HP Tuners doesn’t read the tuned file or actual file on the car, it matches your binary with a binary already on their server and sends that stock binary that matches your software variant
    That may be true for some applications, but certainly not this one. Easy way to verify this is to change some parameters, write to the car, and then do a clean read. You'll find that the clean read captures these modified parameters.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by mukhery View Post
    That may be true for some applications, but certainly not this one. Easy way to verify this is to change some parameters, write to the car, and then do a clean read. You'll find that the clean read captures these modified parameters.
    Are you flashing a HPT supplied file Before you are able to read the vehicle with modified parameters

Advanced Tuner
    Also your file is missing the torque to load map and your temperature control fueling target lambda map a couple of pretty important maps in an MED17 setup

Potential Tuner
    I'm going to submit a ticket after posting.
    Please update this post when you get a response. I'd like to know if we can tune our cars properly, before I pull the trigger on the credits.

Tuner in Training
    After supplying a bit more information to HP Tuners, I got a response from Christopher Martinez saying that he's forwarding this request to their engineers. So hopefully they'll be able to incorporate the additional maps. According to this thread https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...ned-Parameters, we can also incorporate our own maps, so I might try messing around with that a little.

Regarding the question of flashing an .hpt file before reading, my experience has been that VCM Editor can both read and write my car from stock. I've flashed my car back to stock using bench methods numerous times as I've been learning and using multiple tools. Honestly, if HP Tuners can get all the necessary maps incorporated (or if I can create my own custom definition) then this will definitely be the best and easiest tool out there.

Tuner in Training
    Well I tried user-defined parameters and either I didn't create my .xdf file correctly or it just doesn't work for this application... VCM Editor doesn't complain when I load the .xdf file, it just doesn't show any of my user-defined tables (see screenshot).

user-defined_parameters_empty.JPG

Tuner in Training
    Update: still waiting on HP Tuners. I was told that their user-defined parameters feature doesn't support this application yet, but that they would be adding support in a few days. I also haven't heard back regarding the request that was forwarded to engineers to add the additional maps. I'll probably wait another week to see if they reach out before I ping them and will update this thread with what I learn.

Tuner in Training
    Alright, so they enabled the user-defined parameters feature for this application and I was able to create an .xdf file for some of the missing maps (see attached screenshot). I just sent my .xdf file to HP Tuners and asked them to add the missing maps to VCM Editor. So hopefully sometime soon everyone will be able to properly tune these ECUs using VCM Editor. I've also attached my .xdf file here for anyone who is interested or wants to be able to access the missing maps using the user-defined parameters feature.

missing_maps_hptuners.png
    AudiTT_8J_complete.xdf

Advanced Tuner
    Alright, so they enabled the user-defined parameters feature for this application and I was able to create an .xdf file for some of the missing maps (see attached screenshot). I just sent my .xdf file to HP Tuners and asked them to add the missing maps to VCM Editor. So hopefully sometime soon everyone will be able to properly tune these ECUs using VCM Editor. I've also attached my .xdf file here for anyone who is interested or wants to be able to access the missing maps using the user-defined parameters feature.

missing_maps_hptuners.png
    AudiTT_8J_complete.xdf
    Did you modify those maps or are they the ones from your “tuned working boost file”??

Tuner in Training
    Those are tuned maps. Here's a screenshot from the "nonworking" file (i.e., stock):
    stock_missing_maps_hptuners.png

Advanced Tuner
    That’s some interesting methods to mapping haha, where did you find the “working boost” file? Just out of curiosity