Thread: Win 7 Issue With VCM Editor 4.2.1

Advanced Tuner

Win 7 Issue With VCM Editor 4.2.1

Just updated to version 4.2.1 from previous version on Win 10 system and all is fine. Installed on Win 7 laptop (my programming computer) and the VCM Editor will not open. Repaired several times and no change. Uninstalled and reinstalled several times and no change. Computer shutdown after each change. The new Beta version functions fine. How do I get back to previous stable version? Note: On both systems, the new update was not found thru Help/About. It stated no update found in the pop-up box. I got the new version thru the website by downloading the latest suite. The VCM Editor has a pop-up box that states "VCM Editor has stopped working - A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available." Windows states program in not compatible. Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit Service Pack 1 - fully updated and licensed version.
    Last edited by DGS; 12-09-2018 at 12:43 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    I repaired the error by going into VCM Editor properties Compatibility tab and checked Run this program in compatibility mode for: Windows 7. Right click on VCM Scanner.exe file, select Properties, and then select Compatibility Tab and make changes. Not sure why since have never had to make this setting for any other versions.
    Last edited by DGS; 12-09-2018 at 03:42 PM.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    If you haven't already please open a support ticket in this regard and be sure to include a link to this post so we can discuss this further.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Advanced Tuner
    Done. TICKET ID'S 156973 AND 156974.

I have a ticket open for this now as well. Same issues.

update: compatibility mode allowed me to open tune files that were previously making editor crash.
    Last edited by 01ssreda4; 12-10-2018 at 09:55 AM.
    -------------------------------------
    01 SS Red A4 #4987

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by 01ssreda4 View Post
    I have a ticket open for this now as well. Same issues.

update: compatibility mode allowed me to open tune files that were previously making editor crash.
    What is your ticket number?

Potential Tuner Bearded Villain's Avatar
    I am as well having this issue. This is an initial install for me being that my MPVI2 came in the mail today and having no prior install of HP Tuners it will not let me change compatibility properties due to me not even having the VCM Suite installed. Ticket # 15710
    Im likeable

Thank you all for your patience on this. This has been affecting only certain Windows 7 systems, making this a bit difficult to reproduce and resolve, which is also why it had eluded testing. We are working to determine what these affected systems have in common that differs from the other Win 7 systems that are working properly. In the meantime, there are a few potential workarounds that you may wish to try:

Workaround #1: Go to "Program Files" (or "Program Files (x86)" on 64-bit Windows) -> HP Tuners -> VCM Suite, right-click on "VCM Editor", select "Properties", "Compatibility" tab, then set the compatibility mode to Windows 7. If this works, repeat the process for VCM Scanner as well.

Workaround #2: Go to "Program Files" (or "Program Files (x86)" on 64-bit Windows) -> HP Tuners -> VCM Suite, right-click on "VCM Editor", select "Run as Administrator"

Workaround #3: Create a new user account in Windows, then use that to download and run VCM Suite

Please let us know which of these workarounds work for you, or which ones don't work for you. It's possible that some will work for some users but not others, depending on their system configuration. Knowing this may also help us track down the cause.

Also, if you have anything unique or non-standard about your Windows 7 configuration, that would also be very helpful for us to know... Things like your Program Files / Documents / Windows folders being moved to a non-standard location or drive, running VCM Suite under a restricted user account (ie not administrator), if your Windows 7 was a clean install or was an upgrade on top of XP or Vista, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearded Villain View Post
    I am as well having this issue. This is an initial install for me being that my MPVI2 came in the mail today and having no prior install of HP Tuners it will not let me change compatibility properties due to me not even having the VCM Suite installed. Ticket # 15710
    VCM Suite will install before encountering the problem described in this thread. After the installer completes, it will place the files into the following folder:

32-bit Windows: "Program Files" -> "HP Tuners" -> "VCM Suite"

64-bit Windows: "Program Files (x86)" -> "HP Tuners" -> "VCM Suite"

These will typically be on your computer's C: drive.

Senior Tuner
    think this is the issue i already had a ticket with, just to add info if it helps, mine will open my original factory saved file but not any current files without crashing (only editor, scanner is fine and new beta is fine) just tried "run as admin" and still crashes, but seems to work if i run it in "windows 7 mode"

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by 07GTS View Post
    think this is the issue i already had a ticket with, just to add info if it helps, mine will open my original factory saved file but not any current files without crashing (only editor, scanner is fine and new beta is fine) just tried "run as admin" and still crashes, but seems to work if i run it in "windows 7 mode"
    Can you please elaborate?

Advanced Tuner
    My Win 7 Ultimate 64 is/was a clean install. Thanks for the quick response and options. Compatibility worked, administrator did not, did not try creating a new account.
    Last edited by DGS; 12-13-2018 at 11:02 PM.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    Can you please elaborate?
    support ticket no.156149 i have all the info on there i was talking to Eric about it, ok i just did some more testing and it looks like i can open any earlier file upto February 2016 and my next save file was june 2016 and it will crash with that file the only difference i can see between them is the one i can open is 1,755kb size and the one that crashes is 714kb size so it may have been just after an update back at that time, hope this helps or can get more info/testing if u need

Senior Tuner
    just had a further look and the first file it crashes on was the first save file from after the 3.2 update, any files earlier then that open fine

Senior Tuner
    looks to be fixed with the 4.2.12 update mine is working as normal now

Potential Tuner
    I'm having the same issue. this fixes it!