Thread: Weird values when scanning and LBZ

Tuner in Training

Weird values when scanning and LBZ

Last week I got in my truck after it sitting for approx 3 weeks and the check engine light came on. I backed it out the drive and it wouldn't get over 25 mph. After figuring out it was in limp mode, I pulled the codes and began to research them. I'm getting codes P003A-Fuel Rail Pressure Low and P0087-Turbo Vane Position Not Learned. I have found several things to check with these codes individually but didn't find anything with them being together. I immediately thought it was something electrical since the last time I drove the truck, everything was fine. I checked a few things and changed the fuel filter hoping it was that simple but it didn't help.

Tonight I attached my scanner to log a few parameters and see if I could narrow it down to a sensor or see what was going on. The truck does have an edge evolution programmer on it and I'm not sure if that effects anything but when I logged the truck, my Desired Fuel Pressure follows my Throttle Position. I stopped that scan and logged it again, this time my Fuel Pressure follows my Throttle Position. I'll attach the logs. The Regulator Valve Current is all over the place, the MAP is constantly fluctuating, the Speed shows a steady speed even though I'm not moving. The Turbo Vane Position vs. Desired looks pretty good but I'm confused about the other readings. Any ideas?

Idle w Rev 1-11-19.hpl
    Idle w Rev2 1-11-19.hpl
    Idle w Rev Cmd 1-11-19.hpl
    Last edited by 2manytoys; 01-11-2019 at 09:55 PM. Reason: Attachments
    1998 Trans AM- T56 swap, 347 w/forged pistons, PRC 5.3 heads, 231/237 cam, Hooker LT's w/ORY and Aerochamber catback.
    2001 ECSB Silverado- Boltons, electric fans

Rookie tuner here.
    But from my past experience in these situations you need to completely remove your edge programmer. Not just set it to stock power, completely remove it.

I had an 03 Cummins that started doing weird shit, it ended up being my edge EZ.
    Not picking on Edge here, I like their stuff.

Had a Bully Dog on the same truck, loaded a different program. Everything was fine for about a week then random surging.
    Uninstalled it, all was good. Reloaded with the tune I had originally and never had an issue again.
    2011 Camaro 2SS Convertible L99 Bone Stock for now
    2003 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins QC 4x4. Airaid, 2nd Gen Intake, Grid Heater Delete, D-Tech 62/65/12, Magnaflow. Bully Dog: Propane Injection, Triple Dog W/Outlook Crazy Larry. Edge EZ, BD Flow-Max, 48RE: Sonnax Sure Cure/Transgo combination, Derale turbulator, billet input, Triple Disc, Super servo, 4 ring Accumulator. :beer

Tuner in Training
    That is what I was thinking to try this morning. I'll remove the edge and see what the scan looks like then.
    1998 Trans AM- T56 swap, 347 w/forged pistons, PRC 5.3 heads, 231/237 cam, Hooker LT's w/ORY and Aerochamber catback.

Tuner in Training
    Disconnecting the Edge seems to have let me scan the truck this morning. It won't get above 10,000 psi of rail pressure.

Can HP Tuners command rail pressure? I see that option in the vehicle controls but the max entry is 255 psi.

LBZ Duramax Diagnosis.Layout.xml

Idle w Rev2 1-12-19.hpl
    Last edited by 2manytoys; 01-12-2019 at 10:58 AM. Reason: Wrong Attachment

Tuner in Training
    FYI, you can command fuel rail pressure with HPT. Even though the units say psi, just enter what you want in MPa. I commanded 150 MPa and it ran the pressure up to 21,000 psi.

I still have not found my problem with the low rail pressure. I installed some clear hoses after the filter to look for air but there is not any air being pulled into the lines. I performed the "bottle test" to check if the Press Relief Valve was letting fuel by it and it is not.

You should be able to scan for what is limiting your torque/fuel...

In the Cummins (03) Its "Master fuel correction reason"...

Couple of observations:
    In your scans your relative throttle position stays at 100% that seem weird to me...
    In all of your scans your #1&2 injector balance rates go crazy (I'm told balance rates are only for idle so maybe that normal)
    2003 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins QC 4x4. Airaid, 2nd Gen Intake, Grid Heater Delete, D-Tech 62/65/12, Magnaflow. Bully Dog: Propane Injection, Triple Dog W/Outlook Crazy Larry. Edge EZ, BD Flow-Max, 48RE: Sonnax Sure Cure/Transgo combination, Derale turbulator, billet input, Triple Disc, Super servo, 4 ring Accumulator. :beer

Tuner in Training
    I did find and fix my problem. I still continue to get erratic values when scanning, not sure what is going on there.
    My problem ended up being the 5/16" rubber fuel line at the back of the CP3 pump. The line had collapsed internally. Looked like the inner layer of hose had separated and swollen shut. I performed all of the fuel related tests I could gather and when I put a vacuum gauge on the fuel filter, I was only getting 2" hg vacuum no matter the engine rpm. This looks like a good number except that I knew I wasn't getting enough fuel. That led me to look between the filter and the pump for a restriction. The CP3 should have been pulling more vacuum to try to pull more fuel. The 5/16" hose was flowing enough fuel to start and idle but any command higher than 9k psi and it couldn't provide it. I replaced the hose and all is well.

Glad you found it.
    Things like that can be a bear to find, and are easy to overlook.