Thread: 5.3 Cam Swap Help

Tuner in Training

5.3 Cam Swap Help

brand new to tuning I have a 99 Silverado with a texas speed 216/220 cam with long tube headers also has intake from 02 Silverado without the EGR not sure if the injectors were bigger from 99 EGR intake VS. 02 non EGR intake also has 160 degree thermostat looking for a base tune so I can drive it any help or guidance would be appreciated I will attach the log from the initial startup with open headers as well as the tune file will also attach picture of cam card
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

There are many guides on here that hold very helpful info and I read many when I first started. It's not that big of a cam so you shouldn't have much trouble getting the truck to idle. Id suggest to raise your rpm idle to 750, bump the airflow table by about 2 g/s and Bump up the timing advance on the the rpm of 600-1000 by about 2* that should help the truck idle. If you still have trouble add another g/s to the airflow table. Also helps of you add 1 g/s to the starting airflow table, to keep it from stalling on start up.

Tuner in Training
    Will try it thanks a bunch

A 160 thermostat is too cold for about 95% of people, it would maybe be okay if you lived in the middle of Arizona. They generally run better at 180-195 degrees and your heat will suffer a lot if you can't get your coolant temp over 165.

Yes, the 1999 injectors are pretty much always 21lb/hr. So if the 2002 intake came with injectors you need to copy over all that data from a 2002 truck file to match because they are 25lb/hr.

It's run and drive pretty normal on the factory calibration but you need to take the time to fix the airflow tables because of the camshaft so all the fueling is correct. A wideband o2 sensor is a must here because you need to know the real time air fuel ratio and you can't tune with fuel trims at full throttle.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    The intake came off of an 02 4.8 non EGR will that matter with the fuel tables being from a 4.8

No, all 2000+ 4.8/5.3/6.0 got 25lb/hr injectors if the truck was non flex fuel.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Ok thanks for the info and yea it was non flexfuel

Senior Tuner
    I run a 160 t-stat in a 04 Silv with a 4.8 with E-fans and the large radiator in everything from teens to 100 degree weather. Coolant temps stay right at 179-181 fully warmed up no mater how cold outside. Heater performance does not suffer one bit. Fans are programmed to run low speed at 181 and high speed at 190. There is a lot of mis information posted here.

It's not really mis-information at all, that thermostat is not required and heat output would be less at a lower coolant than say 190.

Still no way I'd use one when air temps dip well below zero all time up here.

Yea 160 thermostat works great in place with warmer weather. I'm in Texas and we use it, keeps temps around 189-192

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for the info

Tuner in Training
    When I put the stat in was thinkin more about summer temps and idling in traffic for sure

Tuner in Training
    And ice cold AC