Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2016 Veloster Turbo

Tip in fueling. Ford calls them transients, or have since 1994 anyway. The car goes below .70 lambda as soon as you get back into the throttle after a shift and the fuel source is OL accel/decel enrichment...after half a second, it goes back into power enrichment and lambda resumes what is commanded in the wot driver demand fuel table. This isnt a tune issue, because the car does it with the stock tune as well...so that indicates that the transients are off and need to be adjusted. You can feel it when it happens as well, right after the shift the car is anemic and almost feels like it is about to rich-misfire. After that half second and the lambda returns to the desired wot fueling, it buzzes right along, pulling hard the rest of the way through the gear.

Is there a throttle angle source or anything available? That will help to see why the throttle body is doing what it is.

Tuner
    Ya it can go rich during a gear shift for a split second. There are maps to help correct that however not really worth it IMO.

Pedal position and throttle at manifold can be used.

Tuner
    Can you post logs of the current tune? I viewed the stock log and would like to see what the current one is doing.

I got one yesterday after I finished the changes I wanted to make. Ambient temp was 20 something degrees.

Slow shift.hpl

Tuner
    Looked at the log and here are my thoughts going off the log and not knowing what all the maps look like.

Load goes too high and up too quickly for the mods on the car. I can go into more detail on this if need be, just ask. It does ok now with low temperatures however it is not safe with the given mods as is and will get worse with higher temperatures. A sign of this is KR in 3 of 4 cyl and timing being pulled at times during a pull through a gear.

That being said, you are close to the iat and ect that it will start pulling timing and load/boost anyway for protection. Not sure if you have those maps available and if so if you edited those. Since you are not there yet the safety of the given tune will be worse until it gets to that point. Same for the PR maps for the turbo, on the limit for those as well based on your ambient pressure unless you have those and have edited. This may be a contributing factor to the throttle chop at times as well as other maps that need editing that you may or may not have access to.

For the given mods I'd keep load in the 230's max to ensure a safer tune especially for warmer temperatures. Once better mods are on the car it can be taken higher safer given you have the maps to do so as well. If you or owner has any questions feel free to ask.

Potential Tuner
    I will be getting an intake from Sxth element here in a few weeks. I’d love to get a downpipe but that will have to wait since it’s a bit costly.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by VTRally16 View Post
    I will be getting an intake from Sxth element here in a few weeks. I’d love to get a downpipe but that will have to wait since it’s a bit costly.
    If you want a better intake I can sell you a custom one I made for the car never installed. Uses a modified SXTH SRI pipe.

Potential Tuner
    How much?

The knock happened when it hit the rev limiter. The boost is limited to 20psi, load goes down when temps come up. The tables available aren't enough for boost to come up at all. The pull was made in 20 degree weather, and iat was low 30's...hence such high load. With the available tables the car will not exceed 20 psi. I considered backing down requested load so that boost is more in the 17-18 pound range in low temps. The car is adding timing to the base ignition table, so my timing numbers are quite low...it just adds based on the knock sensors as most cars are now days I am assuming. Ehat timing is good for 230 load in the midrange and 215-220 up top? I'm assuming 11 degrees in the midrange at 230 load and 13 degrees at 210-220 up top? I want it safe. The only time knock registers is on the limiter when it leans out.

Tuner
    KR occurs before the rev limiter/redline, unless you lowered it, and fueling was good when it did so. It also advances then retards timing during the pull when no KR registers. This is also a sign it's too aggressive for the mods/conditions/fuel/state of tune. You do not want either one of these to occur as the next thing to occur will be K or KR. Timing should slowly advance or remain steady throughout the pull through a gear for best power.

Load around 230% from say 3.5k to 6-6.5k is fine with given mods. Ramp boost/load in over 1k rpm span(2.5k-3.5k) if possible to be safer. Stock base ignition timing map smoothed out should be safe. I would not get much more aggressive than this until the car has much better mods on it that address heat and flow/restrictions first.

Timing can generally be moved around .75? per psi on these. So if you lower to 18 psi from 20 psi you can advance up to around 1.5? in that area to the base ignition map.

Regardless of temperature your load to boost ratio should remain close to the same. Load should be the same almost regardless of temperature unless the tune is cutting the boost under higher temperatures. Load to psi is 6.5-7:1 with a stock turbo almost regardless of bolt ons/mods. Larger turbos that flow better the ratio is higher. On that particular car 230% load should be 18-20 psi area. Which with good bolt ons will make 240-250 whp on 93 and 260+ with meth injection or E50 or higher octane fuel used.
    Last edited by trdtoy; 01-28-2019 at 08:55 PM.

Ok, so is it absolute load or engine load that needs to stay at or below 230? Engine load stays at 230 or lower. But absolutely load is 250 in cold weather. I have to different parameters...fords dont have this and gm uses g/cyl scale for "load". Which is the important one? I'm assuming absolute load?

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 95Gturbo View Post
    Ok, so is it absolute load or engine load that needs to stay at or below 230? Engine load stays at 230 or lower. But absolutely load is 250 in cold weather. I have to different parameters...fords dont have this and gm uses g/cyl scale for "load". Which is the important one? I'm assuming absolute load?
    Absolute load is what you need to go off of. I have an engine load pid but it does not go over 100% unlike the pid you have that I noticed.

Yea I was a little confused about that. Some of this stuff is similar to fords, and other stuff is similar to GM....then other stuff is completely out in left field. I'm going to the owner of that car is talking to you right now on facebook, I'm going to try to get with you on there. I have an idea for a way that you can see everything in hptuners. That was whatever tables are missing, you can tell me and I can work with support to get them available.

Tuner
    Yea I was a little confused about that. Some of this stuff is similar to fords, and other stuff is similar to GM....then other stuff is completely out in left field. I'm going to the owner of that car is talking to you right now on facebook, I'm going to try to get with you on there. I have an idea for a way that you can see everything in hptuners. That was whatever tables are missing, you can tell me and I can work with support to get them available.
    Yes, much like Ford and GM conceived a child in a Korean hotel..... ;-)

Sounds good.....

Tuner
    Looks like you have maps needed to make a good tune but missing some maps to make a great tune and cater to some personal preferences of some tuners and enthusiasts.

Trd, can you please look at this log file?

2.hpl

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by SSKev View Post
    Trd, can you please look at this log file?

2.hpl
    Place this one in your thread and I will review it if you want me to.

@95Gturbo
    I compared your most recent file with the stock file (thanks, by the way). Some interesting things going on that you may wish to address, but first I would like to review your latest file to see if you have addressed them already. Along with an updated, detailed mod list if there have been additions/changes.
    Last edited by zugig; 06-03-2019 at 12:21 PM.

It'd be nice to have an update on the progress.