Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2016 Veloster Turbo

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by VTRally16 View Post
    I’m the owner of the car in question and it has the HKS M45XL plugs gapped to .028
    Those are second best plugs for it IMO so you're good there unless you just wanted the gap a touch tighter to be a little safer. Also hope the plugs were checked before install and all gapped the same. They are to come pre gapped at .028" but in most cases are not. And even gap between all plugs is crucial in these engines based on how the ECU operates.

Tuner
    Any dyno chart or was this a street tune? Any data log in .csv format possibly I could look at?

Datalog yesterday was 20psi and 238 load, then 16.5 psi up top and 218 load. It is closing the throttle on shifts sometimes. Logs aren't done in csv form with hptuners, they are hpl. I can post one, you just have to download vcm suite.

I gapped them to .028". They came at .030". It isnt blowing spark out any, so the gap is alright with the boost we are running. Over the years I have found too tight of a gap can effect cruising drivability.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 95Gturbo View Post
    Datalog yesterday was 20psi and 238 load, then 16.5 psi up top and 218 load. It is closing the throttle on shifts sometimes. Logs aren't done in csv form with hptuners, they are hpl. I can post one, you just have to download vcm suite.
    Those boost and load numbers sound better.

It's a 6 speed manual so throttle should close some when you let off to shift. If closing when you actually have pedal down then the tune is off. Hard to say what as many maps can cause that.

I will look into downloading vcm suite to check out logs.

Tuner
    I gapped them to .028". They came at .030". It isnt blowing spark out any, so the gap is alright with the boost we are running. Over the years I have found too tight of a gap can effect cruising drivability.
    Ya I put same plugs in a VT the other day and they were all around that area. These cars like .028" or a touch tighter. Blowout will not usually occur unless boost is higher and/or richer afr. No cruise or idle issues at the area i suggested. They will experience some KR and knock at times on .028" where the tighter gap will not have this. Lucky the 16+ has better coils than the earlier VT.

Its reducing throttle down to about 29% for almost a full second on hard fast shifts when the pedal is ti the floor. Stability and traction control are off. If you are already in third gear and stab the throttle it does not do it. I know it is in the tune, I just don't know what is causing it. The wastegate is hitting 95% duty for a split second right when the throttle is pressed back down after a shift, so maybe it is hitting a limiter of some sort for too much wastegate duty? Or perhaps a torque limiter that isn't available to adjust? It's frustrating because the amount of pids to datalog is very limited and there isnt any at all for torque/torque source. I'll get screenshots of all available tables for torque control, airflow, and the electronic throttle stuff.

Tuner
    No lift shift is not good for the car and I think it will cut throttle as well doing so. Or it may not update the throttle PID quick enough and look like it's cutting when you lift and go WOT again?

WG duty is fine left untouched.

Could be a limiter or map/s incorrect somewhere. Not sure what you have or what's in them. Send what you can and I can look over it.

I used obdlink LX using Torque Pro app and Advanced EX for Hyundai to monitor and log with on my phone. Works wonders for these cars.

You can see in the log the boost drop to zero and even hit vacuum then come back. It's very obvious when you are making a pull in the car...it falls on its face, the manual boost gauge goes to 0 or below, then all the sudden the throttle opens back up and hits 20 pounds a little less than a second later.

I'll get a log of the issue and try to figure out what is going on. Maybe I am requesting too much torque/load or something. I'll dial back driver demand and see if I can get boost to come down to about 18 pounds in the midrange and see what it will do.

What I am hoping is that it is a limited that I missed, and not something that I don't have available in the software to change. Fuel transients arent available, and no speed density stuff is available either. The car has ltft's 19% at part throttle, I would like to address that...but I can't because I have no way to add any sort of fuel other than relying on the wideband to do it.

Tuner
    Does it spin or hit redline when it does this? Either one may cause this regardless of traction or stability control being off.

Show me the OEM maps vs what you changed and I can help. No need to pull back to 18 psi that's not the issue.

It will be maps not done correctly. Matter if you have them or not.

The fuel trims are normal being off a bit after a flash but settle in quickly once that part of the maps are gone over. They should settle in to around +5% if on 93E10 fuel and closer to 0 on E free fuel. This is a lambda setup car so no need to add or take away fuel to get trims correct. It meets a target lambda very closely unless their are mechanical/electrical or tune issues. The fuel trims can be dialed in grossly via injector scaling if you have the map. If so I can help you do so.

Tuner
    Looking back, it could be your psi hitting a limiter set too close to the boost being hit, load set incorrectly and hitting limiter, or the turbo PR map making the throttle chop. Any of these are possible when the boost/load spikes during a shift.
    Last edited by trdtoy; 01-25-2019 at 04:58 PM.

I adjusted the limiter back to 26psi. Even with the stock tune with this car it was 19% at idle and 17-ish% positive on long term fuel trims. The car wouldn't close the throttle today...and I have no idea why. The tune is the exact same as the day it did it. It suppose it could have spun some on the shift. This isn't no lift shifting either, it is a normal quick shift like you would do while racing. Same as he did when it had a stock tune. I ran out of time today, I can take screenshots tomorrow if what tables I have available

I adjusted the limiter back to 26psi. Even with the stock tune with this car it was 19% at idle and 17-ish% positive on long term fuel trims. The car wouldn't close the throttle today...and I have no idea why. The tune is the exact same as the day it did it. It suppose it could have spun some on the shift. This isn't no lift shifting either, it is a normal quick shift like you would do while racing. Same as he did when it had a stock tune. I ran out of time today, I can take screenshots tomorrow if what tables I have available
    Would you be willing the post the file up? I can take a look and see if I can provide guidance or realize if we left something out in error.
    If its not broke, just give it time.

Of course. I know it isnt on you guys...I know it is my doing. I am doing something wrong, I just can't figure it out just yet. The issue is that it is intermittent, and seems to only happen when there are more than one person in the car (extra weight/load), so it is confusing to me.

Tim 20psi.hpt

By the way, this car has an elantra tb on it...so that change in ve may be the issue with Fuel trims. At wot, the long term stays at +19, but short term pulls out between 13 and 19% back out.

Tuner
    If you moved the limiter and throttle stays open now then sounds good to go on that matter. Although if the map I'm thinking and you set to 26 psi would be the same as disabling it which could be bad from a safety standpoint if other maps are setup incorrectly as well.

The tune will be super consistent in the car under same conditions like within 1-2% pull to pull unless something changes. So if it does anything different it's under different area of maps, adaptive have taken place, conditions changed, etc.

Fuel trims will be fine after its driven a bit. They clear after a flash regardless of tune put in and take time before they settle back out. The 60 mm TB will not change the trims just like the 64 mm I run does not change trims. Regardless of trims it will 100% meet the commanded lambda as long as all is good in tune/electronic/mechanical on the car.

The extra weight in the car is not normally going to change much at all in terms of the issue you're having.

I'll wait to see what maps you have and changes made I guess. I have no way of viewing via HP Tuners as I have none of that yet.

Fords have a pid that is called torque source, and electronic throttle source or something like that. It would be nice to see if these cars had something like that. I could see what the deal is. Also, this car has super rich transients, I would like to be able to adjust that.

Tuner
    Not aware of that map in these ecu.

What do you mean by rich transients?