Thread: 2017-18 Stock tune from a factory Flex Fuel truck?

Tuner in Training

2017-18 Stock tune from a factory Flex Fuel truck?

Anyone have a bone stock factory FF tune from a 2017 or 2018 truck? I'm having a hard time finding one.

Racer blue stock.hpt

There is a 2018 L86 4x4 factory stock flex tune. These just use a "virtual sensor" that takes measurements of fuel tank level, pressure, and I think temperature to guess at alc content. From what I see, pretty much nobody trusts these calculation when running alc. Everybody prefers to install an actual flex sensor. I have not done that but there are several posts about it.

Tuner in Training
    That's interesting. I was under the impression that a true factory FF truck would use a sensor. Is FF even offered on the 6.2? I know that the 5.3 trucks list a $100 FF option and I assumed that was for the sensor. If it's just the virtual sensor and programming, that's ridiculous.

edit: I checked out that attached tune...it's not a FF tune.
    Last edited by pmoore4321; 01-13-2019 at 03:03 PM.

Tuner in Training
    I've converted my Sierra L83 and Yukon L86 to FF by adding the sensors. I just wanted a factory L83 tune to check my programming against. Anyone? Thanks in advance.

It says enabled. Why do you say it is not a flex fuel truck? I have got a few 2017 L86 rigs with the same deal. I have some GEN4 stock truck tunes that say disabled and some that say enabled (none of them with actual sensors). The ones that are factory enabled are flex trucks (using the virtual measurement system).

Quote Originally Posted by pmoore4321 View Post
    That's interesting. I was under the impression that a true factory FF truck would use a sensor. Is FF even offered on the 6.2? I know that the 5.3 trucks list a $100 FF option and I assumed that was for the sensor. If it's just the virtual sensor and programming, that's ridiculous.

edit: I checked out that attached tune...it's not a FF tune.
    you are paying for higher flow injectors and fuel pump, etc. sensors were used 10+ years ago, they went virtual a long time ago. ford uses the widebands they come with, GM is far behind in ECM logic.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by IARLLC View Post
    It says enabled. Why do you say it is not a flex fuel truck? I have got a few 2017 L86 rigs with the same deal. I have some GEN4 stock truck tunes that say disabled and some that say enabled (none of them with actual sensors). The ones that are factory enabled are flex trucks (using the virtual measurement system).
    The stoich AFR in your tune is 14.1 across the board. It's a non-flex tune.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Higgs Boson View Post
    you are paying for higher flow injectors and fuel pump, etc. sensors were used 10+ years ago, they went virtual a long time ago. ford uses the widebands they come with, GM is far behind in ECM logic.
    The '18 factory FF truck use a sensor. The injectors and pump are the same as any other non-flex truck.

Screenshot 2019-01-13 23.31.43.jpg

I just need a 2018 5.3 factory flex fuel tune so I can segment swap it into my truck.
    Last edited by pmoore4321; 01-13-2019 at 11:38 PM.

I've seen a few 2014's with real sensor but 15+ has been virtual sensors on nearly every application I've seen.

That diagram may show where the sensor is but that does not mean every truck and every VIN number had one installed.

I struggled to even find a camaro or corvette with a sensor installed. Even many of those tunes says enabled but the stoich table is a solid value.

So if I were you I'd look for a 2014 file to compare flex fuel values too.

There is one in this random thread I found.
    https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...light=2014+l83
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

I see what you are saying. Certainly my GEN3 FLEX Tahoe and all the other GEN3 and GEN4 FLEX tunes start at 14.7 at 0% and go down from there. I found a few GEN3 non FLEX that are like 14.6 across. All of my GEN4 FLEX and NON FLEX have the same numbers in the table even though they are all virtual. Only difference is disabled or not. Strange that GEN5 show enabled with 14.1 across yet have all of the other FLEX tables are filled in. I checked over 20 GEN5 Yukon Denali and SIlverados, all the same. But yeah, 14.1 all across.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by IARLLC View Post
    I see what you are saying. Certainly my GEN3 FLEX Tahoe and all the other GEN3 and GEN4 FLEX tunes start at 14.7 at 0% and go down from there. I found a few GEN3 non FLEX that are like 14.6 across. All of my GEN4 FLEX and NON FLEX have the same numbers in the table even though they are all virtual. Only difference is disabled or not. Strange that GEN5 show enabled with 14.1 across yet have all of the other FLEX tables are filled in. I checked over 20 GEN5 Yukon Denali and SIlverados, all the same. But yeah, 14.1 all across.
    Yeah...The truck will have to have RPO code FHS to be factory flex.

Tuner in Training
    I have one for a 6.0

Tuner in Training
    Thanks, but it has to be for a 5.3 2017-18 truck...I didn't even know the 6.0 was offered with FF.