Thread: knock retard false or real?

Tuner in Training

knock retard false or real?

hello i have so questions on a few of my logs. i have had it in my head that my truck runs better/worse some days (some days feeling sluggish) one day it pulls the hills on the freeway great and then the next day it is running its balls off on the same freeway. its not wind lol. i got a few different logs and they are showing random knock one log looks like its happening on steady part throttle 2*KB. Then another log has a blip of like .5 then another 2KB later in log,but this seem to be very random the first two logs were mainly getting on the freeway and then cruising. then saw some get a little high on hard accelerating. I havent touched anything in any spark/retard tables. i just dont want to see uncle Rodney. Sorry for the novel just wanted to give all the info before hand. THANKS GUYS
    12' sierra 5.3 4x4
    test 1.hpl
    test 2.hpl
    test3.hpl

It's a stock truck with stock spark tables, knock is going to happen on 87 octane. Knock is basically built into the tune.

Willing to bet if you lean out the fueling a little and run 89+ octane or reduce the timing a hair it'll stop. But what you are seeing will not hurt anything.
    Last edited by 5FDP; 01-14-2019 at 10:08 PM.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Ok thats good to know that its hurting. Is it pulling timing and giving me a power loss at times? other thing that sucks is that Utah has crappy gas at most places. Our octanes are 85, 87, 91. also crazy random levels of ethanol for 2-13% We are now getting ethanol free in 88 that seems to help my truck run better. These logs were done with 85 i believe cause the wife filled it. It seems to effect on the freeway sometimes and from the first 2 logs it knocked at a leveled part throttle. i have 88 E-free in the tank now ill log a bunch i and see how it likes it.
    I'm sure I can figure it out.... eventually

Tuner in Training
    Update on the knock. it seems that the fuel here in southern utah is terrible, i fueled up with 91 (highest we got) and added some Royal Purple oc booster and it seems to have brought the knock down. last couple logs i did was no higher than 1KR. It was knocking at 75 mph going up a small hill about 1,800rpm and as the throttle position rose to keep the speed i could actually feel it detecting knock and pulling timing, it felt like a gust of wind or just very slightly hitting the brakes. I watched it with every little hill it would pull 4-8 KR. So thanks again Also im getting a intake soon, so is there anything i can do to maximize the upgrade? I know its not gonna make a huge difference or power just wanted to see if there is anything that would help..
    I'm sure I can figure it out.... eventually