Thread: Need a little help - Flash Aborted

Potential Tuner

Need a little help - Flash Aborted

Hey guys,

I am having an issue. I took my car into ford to have the "tick" looked at, while it was there they wrote over my tune. Now when I try to reflash it, I keep getting an error "Flash Aborted, calibration changed"

I have reached out to both HP Tuners and PBD who did the tune, both are saying the other has to do something.

I had PBD redo the tunes based on the new stock tune, but that did not solve the issue, they believe I may need a unlock file to get things working.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!!

-Cliff

Tuner in Training
    Are you flashing with the Ngauge or the MVPI?

If your using the Ngauge you should reach out to Jim Ferraro as it might be locked to the old calibration and it thinks you are trying to flash more than one car with the same Ngauge.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester927 View Post
    Hey guys,

I am having an issue. I took my car into ford to have the "tick" looked at, while it was there they wrote over my tune. Now when I try to reflash it, I keep getting an error "Flash Aborted, calibration changed"

I have reached out to both HP Tuners and PBD who did the tune, both are saying the other has to do something.

I had PBD redo the tunes based on the new stock tune, but that did not solve the issue, they believe I may need a unlock file to get things working.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!!

-Cliff
    Cliff, curiously what did they say about the tick? I too have a ticking 2018 Mustang GT.
    Eric Brooks
    HP Tuners, LLC

Advanced Tuner
    Your Serial # prob changed, I had to deal with this with a different car. You should have the nGauge unlocked, use it to read out your stock file again(the new stock file you have now, not the old one), then send it to PBD for them to do your tune again.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Jn2 View Post
    Your Serial # prob changed, I had to deal with this with a different car. You should have the nGauge unlocked, use it to read out your stock file again(the new stock file you have now, not the old one), then send it to PBD for them to do your tune again.
    +1 seen it happen before; I have mongoose so I can just force flash my cars to stock but as Jn2 said you'll have to go through a couple extra hoops

Advanced Tuner
    Once Ford flashed your ecm theres no going back. Have to spend more money unlocking and retuning.

I've had the tick for 50k and its never stop me from hitting 8000 rpm repeatedly. My tick is definitely valvetrain related. I've also heard using wrong viscosity oil can cause the tick. Those with warranty that use the Ford house for oil changes means new motor, on the house. I've also heard the tick being a cracked header/exhaust leak and loud injectors.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatwhite5.0 View Post
    Once Ford flashed your ecm theres no going back. Have to spend more money unlocking and retuning.

I've had the tick for 50k and its never stop me from hitting 8000 rpm repeatedly. My tick is definitely valvetrain related. I've also heard using wrong viscosity oil can cause the tick. Those with warranty that use the Ford house for oil changes means new motor, on the house. I've also heard the tick being a cracked header/exhaust leak and loud injectors.
    From what I understand they finally released a statment for 11-17s saying is was the tensioner causing issuses with the timing chain hitting the valve cover.

Advanced Tuner
    If I had a Coyote vehicle with the intermittent typewriter/bbq igniter sound that I've heard, I would be too worried and probably sell it/trade it for something different. Now my 2014 makes a slight ticking every revolution and comes from the passenger side, just like my 2013 did.. This seems to be very common, steady, and only after vehicle has warmed up. Some of these videos I've heard though.. oh man I would be so worried.

This is Ford's stance on 5.0 Coyotes with the noise:

2/5/2019 7718 - 2011-2019 Mustang/F-150 - 5.0L Tick Tap And/or Typewriter Noise At Idle
    Some 2011-2019 Mustang and F-150 vehicles equipped with a 5.0L engine may exhibit a ticking noise at idle after an engine oil change. It is often referred to as typewriter noise because of its similarity to the sound of a mechanical typewriter. The noise in question may be heard on some engines when engine temperatures reach 150?F (65?C) or higher and engine speed is at idle up to approximately 1700 RPM's. It can typically be heard at the front wheel well, and is often isolated to the transmission bell housing or oil pan area. typewriter noise is not detrimental to engine function or durability and has no short or long term effects on the engine. This an operating characteristic of the 5.0L engine and no repairs should be attempted.