Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Changing Firing order from F150 to Mustang.

Tuner in Training

Changing Firing order from F150 to Mustang.

The gen 2 F150 engines have a different firing order than there Mustang brothers. Anyone know how to change the firing order in the tune? Tuners like Lund can change it from the truck to Mustang.

As far as injector firing, I am not sure how you would change it unless this changes that as well...which I would imagine that it would.

F150.png

Mustang.png

Tuner in Training
    That was my next question. Guess I can switch it out and see what happens.

You may have to actually switch up the injector wiring.short of cranking it with 8 noid lights in the injector connectors, I'm not entirely sure how you would even check it.

Tuner in Training
    The guys who are tuning them are not rewiring anything. Its 100% tune based. I confirmed that much. 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8 is the mustang and 1-5-4-8-6-3-7-2 is the F150 ?.
    Last edited by Speedtospare; 01-20-2019 at 01:05 PM.

It's the other way around, 13726548 is the old firing order that the f150 reverted back to.

Are you changing cams?

Tuner in Training
    No, there is no need to change them. The gen 2 cams are close to the Mustang cams unlike the 11-14 cams. The firing order isn't a huge deal. It doesn't affect horsepower. It's kind of like going from a 302 Ford to a 351 Ford camshaft

Advanced Tuner
    Sorry to intrude. Do the 04 mustangs and f150 have different firing orders?

Advanced Tuner
    How are you going to change the fireing order without changing cams?

Change it up and try to start it, should be some great fireworks.

Advanced Tuner
    If your trying to change to the mustang firing order you need to change the camshafts, the crankshafts are the same but cams and tuning are different. If you are just trying to run the f150 engine off the mustang tune you can just change the firing order in the tune.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by K44 View Post
    How are you going to change the firing order without changing cams?

Change it up and try to start it, should be some great fireworks.
    You have opened HP tuners right? There is an area where you can change the firing order. You don't need to change the cams. This isn't the old carburetor days.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedtospare View Post
    You have opened HP tuners right? There is an area where you can change the firing order. You don't need to change the cams. This isn't the old carburetor days.
    It under Spark, Misc., Firing order Vs. Cylinder #. Dont forget to change the physical timing chain procedure (f150 and mustang phasers have different timing marks) Unless your into crooked valves and snapped rockers.
    Last edited by ishyne22; 09-16-2020 at 10:17 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Yes you can change the order when the plugs fire. But you cannot change when the piston is on the compression stroke without changing the cams.

Back in the day the 351 and 302 had diffrent fireing orders. If you wanted to use the 351 cam in a 302 you had to re-wire the distributer cap.

If you want to put mustang cams in a f150 then you would change the fireing order in the tune.

Like I said eariler, try it. Should be some good backfires.

As far I know tune change will only change coils but not injectors. People doing swaps do rewiring as this is guaranteed t work.

You absolutely need to swap cams and time them for Mustang - wont work the other way as cams events are altered as well.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedtospare View Post
    You may have opened HP tuners but you sure don't understand how a engine works. LOL!!!!! It doesn't matter if it is a carburetor or not. LOL!!!!

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinhen View Post
    You may have opened HP tuners but you sure don't understand how a engine works. LOL!!!!! It doesn't matter if it is a carburetor or not. LOL!!!!
    Sorry man. You don't know coyotes very well, but we all have to learn. I'm still learning myself. I'm not trying to be rude or a smart ass. Your thinking is old school. I had a hard time wrapping my head around it at first. I'm the one that started this thread. You 100% do not have to change the F150 cams while running the mustang firing order. You do need to change the injector timing in the tune and rewire a few pins on the injector and coil harness and run a custom tune. I asked a friend from power by the hour in florida to talk about it in his show tonight on youtube. I will send a link to it once it posted to his channel. He currently live.
    Last edited by Speedtospare; 09-09-2020 at 09:55 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8
    When cyl 1 fires cyl 6 is on overlap
    When cyl 3 fires cyl 5 is on overlap
    When cyl 7 fires cyl 4 is on overlap
    When cyl 2 fires cyl 8 is on overlap
    =======================
    1-5-4-8-6-3-7-2
    When cyl 1 fires cyl 6 is on overlap
    When cyl 5 fires cyl 3 is on overlap
    When cyl 4 fires cyl 7 is on overlap
    When cyl 8 fires cyl 2 is on overlap

1-5-4-8-6-3-7-2 lets use this. If you change the order to 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8

Fireing order number 1 ) Cylinder 1 will fire correctly
    ............................. 2 ) Cylinder 3 will have spark on the overlap part of the cam timing
    ............................. 3 ) Cylinder 7 will fire on overlap
    ............................. 4 ) Cylinder 2 will fire on overlap
    ............................. 5 ) Cylinder 6 will fire correctly
    ............................. 6 ) Cylinder 5 will fire on overlap
    ............................. 7 ) Cylinder 4 will fire on overlap
    ............................. 8 ) Cylinder 8 will fire on overlap

I must be bored

Try it you might blow your manifold off the engine, like Darrel Alderman in the 90's
    Last edited by K44; 09-10-2020 at 12:04 AM.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by K44 View Post

I must be bored

Try it you might blow your manifold off the engine, like Darrel Alderman in the 90's
    Hey, I get what your saying and that was my argument also. I still don't quite understand why it works, but it does. Valve timing is the most complicated part of an engine, especially with out 4V setups. Wait until the video goes up tomorrow maybe Frank can explain it better.

Advanced Tuner
    Switch your fireing order in your tune and tell us the results.

Where is your link to the proof?