Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Changing Firing order from F150 to Mustang.

Advanced Tuner
    Ive wired distributor caps 180 degrees out of order several times. Cranks like it wants to start, due to the 2 cylinders in time and then randomly backfires.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by K44 View Post
    Switch your fireing order in your tune and tell us the results.

Where is your link to the proof?
    As I said, I will post the video here when its up on youtube. Should be up tomorrow

Advanced Tuner
    Do it to your car or truck. Even if the injector timing is off it will still run. Just not very well.

I have no idea why you think this is a good subject, I wonder about me for responding, maybe I'm trying to save people massive repair bills. Plastic manifolds cannot be as strong as cast iron or aluminum.
    Last edited by K44; 09-10-2020 at 10:52 AM.

Tuner in Training
    You don't have to reply to this thread. Go back to your distributors and pushrod engines. . Do you even own car with a coyote engine? Is this topic relevant to you?

I will still post the video tomorrow once it has uploaded for everyone else's information. Feel free argue against the largest coyote swap business on the planet.

I'm saying it can be done, you disagree. If you think I'm a troll just move along.

Advanced Tuner
    One last time, IF we had variable cam LOBES we could use the computer to change the order in which the cylinders reach TDC on the compression stroke. Since we can only move the whole camshaft you cannot change the fireing order with out changing the cams.

Tuner in Training
    The cams in a Gen 2 F-150 is different then a Gen 2 Mustang. That is why the firing order is different

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinhen View Post
    The cams in a Gen 2 F-150 is different then a Gen 2 Mustang. That is why the firing order is different
    We established that a while ago.

Tuner in Training
    Here is the video. You can see in the vidfeo he states the car firing order can be changed to the mustang firing order while retaining the stock F150 cams. Because I get so any people disagreeing with me I had the guys who do this daily include it in a video. This does require the ford racing control pack or PBH's harness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VI4zDVdL_o

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedtospare View Post
    The guys who are tuning them are not rewiring anything. Its 100% tune based. I confirmed that much. 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8 is the mustang and 1-5-4-8-6-3-7-2 is the F150 ?.
    In your video it says you have to change wiring???

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedtospare View Post
    Here is the video. You can see in the vid he states the car firing order can be changed to the mustang firing order while retaining the stock F150 cams. Because I get so any people disagreeing with me I had the guys who do this daily include it in a video. This does require the ford racing control pack or PBH's harness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VI4zDVdL_o

You can NOT use Gen 2 Mustang firing order on Gen 2 F150 cams. You are all kinds of confused as to how a engine works.

unless you change a shit ton of wiring. Which you say you don't have to change any.
    Last edited by kevinhen; 09-10-2020 at 05:37 PM.

Tuner in Training
    "unless you change the wiring"? I already stated that you have to change some wiring in previous posts. Shit ton of wiring? I already changed my wiring. Maybe you could let everyone how many wires is a shit ton?

Anyways. I've made my point that its possible and there is no need physically change to mustang cams to run a mustang firing order. That was the entire point of this thread.

My biggest issue is that I have to wait until the boarder opens up so I can head down to Florida for tuning. My car makes too much power for street pulls and I'm no where good enough to tune a twin turbo coyote myself. I have a ton of money invested and I dont want to blow it up. I am shooting for around 700whp on 91 octane and 840whp on E85. I will probably make a scramble button setup in the 20 psi range which should put me over 1000whp. My goal is a 8 second street car that cruise like stock.

Advanced Tuner
    No your point was destroyed by the video.

He stated clearly you need to change cams to run the mustang fireing order in a F150 engine. He then says you can run the F150 engine using the mustang PCM by changing the fireing order in the tune and re-wireing the injectors.

The cams control the fireing order, not the computer.

Advanced Tuner
    If you have an f150 motor in a mustang that?s wired to match the firing order of an f150, wouldn?t you just change the mustang calibration to match the f150 firing order and go? (Assuming you?re using a mustang pcm on an f150 engine/?harness?).

That sounds like what you?re trying to do, and it should work.

Advanced Tuner
    Changing the ign firing order in the tune does not change the fuel injector firing order, hence you need to re-wire the injectors.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by mattlinke View Post
    If you have an f150 motor in a mustang that?s wired to match the firing order of an f150, wouldn?t you just change the mustang calibration to match the f150 firing order and go? (Assuming you?re using a mustang pcm on an f150 engine/?harness?).

That sounds like what you?re trying to do, and it should work.
    No. The point of the thread is that people say you ahve to physically chanage cams to run the mustang firing order. You do not. You can run the F150 cams and run the mustang firing order. This pertains to gen 2 coyote engines

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by K44 View Post
    No your point was destroyed by the video.

He stated clearly you need to change cams to run the mustang fireing order in a F150 engine. He then says you can run the F150 engine using the mustang PCM by changing the fireing order in the tune and re-wireing the injectors.

The cams control the fireing order, not the computer.
    Put a time in the video where he states that please.

20:00 - "We are adjusting the wires to make sure you have the same firing order as a mustang. Changing to a mustang firing order is in the harness and the rest of the changes are done via the calibration. That is how on a Gen 2 F150 engine we are able to run with a mustang PCM"

He is referring to a bone stock F150 engine with F150 cams. Changing the wires and the tune to run the mustang firing order.

The whole point of the thread was to see if I can change to the mustang firing order while keeping the F150 cams. Yes I can, by changing the wiring and the calibration in the tune. I'm running boost. I would rather add a additional amount of boost over swapping out the cams. Less money, less work.
    Last edited by Speedtospare; 09-10-2020 at 11:02 PM. Reason: editing

Advanced Tuner
    I see so you changed the wiring of coils and of injectors to mimic the mustang order on a truck motor?

That theoretically would work I think without changing anything in the tune. I think anyway
    Last edited by mattlinke; 09-10-2020 at 11:02 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by mattlinke View Post
    I see so you changed the wiring of coils and of injectors to mimic the mustang order on a truck motor?

That theoretically would work I think without changing anything in the tune. I think anyway
    It has been accomplished many time before me. I started this thread 9 months ago when I was building the car. F150 motors were cheap. I paid $2100 for a complete engine with harness and ecu that gad 8k miles. I will be going to aftermarket cams and springs down the road. I just didn't want to spend the extra money or time swapping the cams when its not required. Why swap to mustang cams then to comp cams later on? Waste of money imo. This is my Gen 2 truck motor with a cheap holley intake. A friend just made 830 whp on his car using 61mm ON3 turbos on E85. I have 6266 Billet precision T4's on my car. Its going to be fun. Shooting for an 8 second pass driving to and from the track 2 hours away from my house.

IMG_20190122_160817_160.jpg

Advanced Tuner
    I watched the video. Clearly you are hearing what you want to hear. At the 20 min mark he says he is using the mustang PCM he is wrong when he says he is changing the engine to a mustang firing order. He also says he dosen't know how it works.

I do know engines and the firing order is dictated by the cam installed in it.

If it were possible to switch firing orders just by changing a tune, or wiring a distrubitor cap differently, it would also be possible to fire 2 cylinders at the same time. I've always wondered how this would run. I do not have enough cash to have a one off cam blank made to try it. Should double the power per power stroke. Will it make more power overall. I'd like to know.

I've also wondered on these multi engined pulling tractors do they divide up the 720 degrees and fire in between or do they have them all fire at the same time.

This has intrigued me ever since I was a teenage hot rodder.

Don't take my word on this firing order deal, call any engine shop or any cam manufacturer. Heck even call PBH, only talk with a real tech and not a media person.
    Last edited by K44; 09-10-2020 at 11:37 PM.

This thread has been entertaining to say the least.
    The confusion is between Firing order-Engine, and Firing order-PCM.

If you are running F150 cams, your engine will have F150 firing order, period. You have to make the PCM signals match to the correct injectors and coils. This does NOT change the engine's firing order. You have 2 options: Change the wiring, or change the calibration to MATCH F150 Firing order. The firing order will REMAIN F150. I can't make it any clearer.

So you are going to swap to aftermarket cams, later on, In the car? And then "undo" all the wiring and programming that has been mucked with to keep the F150 cams and "save time and money" now? Put the cams in on the engine stand now and be done with it ONE time, while you have easy access to work on the engine.