Thread: is there a "cookie cutter" tune for fords?

Tuner in Training

is there a "cookie cutter" tune for fords?

okay so ive never really played around with Ford tuning but ive got a couple friends with ford trucks who have been begging me to tune their trucks. I know for most of stock GM cars you can go in and adjust the power enrichment settings, slightly modify the spark tables, and clean up some other miscellaneous tables and pick up some decent power. Is there a similar a similar procedure for Ford vehicles? im sure everyone knows what i mean by "cookie cutter" but just for clarification I am looking for something that can be done over and over again with the same results.

Advanced Tuner
    - turn off COT

- set WOT lambda to .83

- PE delay to 0 seconds

- Make sure TB max angle is set to 90* for the entire RPM band(you can leave TB angle max itself alone, I'm referring to the table)

- Turn off OP enrich required in VCT section

This should be a decent start
    Last edited by Jn2; 01-17-2019 at 10:20 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Okay I'll give it a shot and see what happens . Thanks for the input

Advanced Tuner
    Change OP and PE thredholds. OP Pedal Enable, OP Load Enable, Fuel Enrichment Pedal. You can also lower WOT Start in ETC Tab.
    In torque management you could increase ETC x 1.1 or 1.2. If it's a manual. Go to transmission > torque management and increase torque max to 1000. 1-6

Quote Originally Posted by Jn2 View Post
    - Turn off OP enrich required in VCT section
    Can someone describe what this does? I don't understand the description in VCM Editor.

Advanced Tuner
    [ECM] 44422 - Optimum Power Enrichment Requirement: Switch that allows the requirement for fuel enrichment to enter Optimum Power mode to be ignored.

Assuming your Enrichment Delay Table is zeroed out. This table works with the PE tab [ECM] 32732 - Fuel Enrichment Pedal vs. RPM: The pedal required to allow WOT fuel enrichment in relation to RPM.

With 44422 Enabled. You must be in Fuel enrichment for OP to activate.
    With 44422 Disabled. There is no delay due to PE thresholds not being met, once your OP thresholds are met, the vehicle will go into OP mode.

Thanks for the description, that really helps. So, why is it recommended to disable it? Seems like the purpose is to guarantee fuel enrichment during OP mode. I ask mostly because my Whipple supplied tune has the requirement enabled and I'm trying to understand if I would benefit from disabling it.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruiner46 View Post
    Thanks for the description, that really helps. So, why is it recommended to disable it? Seems like the purpose is to guarantee fuel enrichment during OP mode. I ask mostly because my Whipple supplied tune has the requirement enabled and I'm trying to understand if I would benefit from disabling it.
    You want it on Disabled otherwise you may get a scenario where you're not at WOT Lambda (instead at stoich) even though you're WOT! Very dangerous if you ask me. Someone correct me if I'm wrong!

I guess this is where I'm confused because that's not how I'm interpreting the description. Sounds like it delays entering OP mode from what Thatwhite5.0 said. Doesn't that just mean using OP tables and cam angles? Isn't fuel enrichment what is required to use the WOT Lambda table?

Quote Originally Posted by Thatwhite5.0 View Post
    Change OP and PE thredholds. OP Pedal Enable, OP Load Enable, Fuel Enrichment Pedal. You can also lower WOT Start in ETC Tab.
    In torque management you could increase ETC x 1.1 or 1.2. If it's a manual. Go to transmission > torque management and increase torque max to 1000. 1-6
    Are you referencing Scheduled Torque Max or Torque Max vs. RPM? Where would you see a benefit from increasing this table in a datalog? For instance would you see throttle angle increase more rapidly... anything specifically that would show up in the data? I saw reference to modifying these tables (or table) in a master engine tuner article (http://www.masterenginetuner.com/2011-mustang-v6.html) he never explained why though.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruiner46 View Post
    I guess this is where I'm confused because that's not how I'm interpreting the description. Sounds like it delays entering OP mode from what Thatwhite5.0 said. Doesn't that just mean using OP tables and cam angles? Isn't fuel enrichment what is required to use the WOT Lambda table?
    I know it's confusing to me too however I've seen posts and even a log where having it Enabled caused the car to leave WOT lambda and setting to Disabled fixed it. Maybe it was a bandaid solution to the real problem or only pertains to configurations. I hope someone explains. I've set mine to disabled and have not noticed anything bad on a 14GT.

Senior Tuner
    OP enrichment required is to help prevent the cams from going to OP angles, and hence tables, at partial throttle. Mainly to keep it from blending mapped points to get values then jumping to values of the OP spark and torque tables which could be quite different.
    In later OS's, OP mode just became a blend of mapped points like the other modes, so transitions to it even at part throttle would be smooth. The enrichment requirement was no longer needed for smoothing transitions between modes and disabled. Enabling it in certain cars that OP mode is a blending and not stand alone tables can cause the fuel to not go into PE.

So no there is no real cookie cutter tuning steps for all Fords. You really need to know the many quirks of all the different years, strategies, and OS's. Ford is constantly doing new things and what worked on last years models may not work on this years. You can get a general sense of what they are doing in their calibrations from HPTs layout of things, and optimize it for specific scenarios, but you have to understand what ford was doing to really get anywhere. Looking at the older calibrations that were less sophisticated and following the changes to the newer stuff along with the physical changes to the engines is very time consuming, but it can be really educational. Other than that its basically take logs of the stock tune, modify the file, and log some more looking to see what you changed. best way to learn your particular vehicle is just by diving into it. Make sure you can log all the different sources is the main thing to keep you out of the dark of what tables its getting its values from.

Advanced Tuner
    Thanks murf. So OP Enrichment Req stops the car from going into OP mode unless PE exists and the purpose is smoothness to prevent unintended transitions to (and from) OP.

It sounds like leaving it Disabled is the safest bet since it could cause WOT lambda issues with the only side effect being smoothness loss in certain situations like the threshold transitions to OP schedule (and back out). Tuning pedal and load requirements for OP might be the trick to keeping it disabled, safe, and still avoid weird transitions. Personally I'll sacrifice a little smoothness to avoid 1.00 Lambda @ WOT lol. I'm either less than half throttle all of the time or full throttle so it's an easy choice

There's an explanation that makes some sense, thanks murfie and blackbolt22. Funny thing is that my 2016's stock strategy has it disabled, but my Whipple tune has it enabled. The stock strategy doesn't have OP enabled in the mapped points config, and the Whipple tune doesn't even list OP in the mapped points config. Random stuff like this in the Whipple tune makes me think that they really just hacked it together in some areas. Looking at the way they setup the snap-to lines and the overall VCT map, some stuff doesn't make sense either. For instance, why have a snap-to line from 2 to 9, and another one from 9 to 2? Isn't that redundant? I almost think they meant to have one from 7 to 9 since it doesn't exist and the tune is always blending points between 7 and 9 and sometimes the transitions are weird. I'm tempted to add that in and see what happens. There's also 6 mapped points that never get used except for a few percent contribution to situations where the tables are being blended. So why have them enabled? Anyway, sorry for hijacking this thread and thanks again.

Senior Tuner
    I wouldn't trust what you are seeing as Whipple's exact calibration, but more of HPTs interpretation. Kind of the nature of trying to make a template that fits all of Ford's different OS's and strategies.

Yeah, I understand that, but I've had pretty good luck with the timing tables and the mapped points configuration working as shown in HPTuners. There are other things that don't seem to work, but following along with mapped point weightings during logs seems to correlate well with the HPTuners tables.