Thread: Checksum error 2006 Silverado

Tuner in Training

Checksum error 2006 Silverado

I have been trying to read a tune on a 2006 Silverado 6.6V8 DSL Allison trans (HP Ver 4.2.1 - setting set at advanced)
    When opening the saved tune I kept getting checksum errors and after trying latest version software including beta the boys at HP Tuners advised to upload a fresh stock tune and start from there.

I have downloaded a few 2006 stock tunes from the repository but when I try to read them there is no information for the transmission just blank - engine shows but not the trans.
    So I downloaded 2005 tunes and they all work can view engine and trans - I then downloaded 2007 tunes and again I can view all aspects of those.

It seems that it is only 2006 tunes that I cant read the trans, can anyone offer a fix or comment as to why this would be.

Thanks

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    have you tried reading the calibration with the high speed communication option disabled?
    sometimes the computer doesnt appreciate the high speed read rate.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for your help, I will try that on the vehicle~ do you have any idea why the editor cant see any trans files (only Engine files) on only 2006 tunes from the repository, 2005 and 2007 work fine?

cheers

I would have to look into that with my software. It's been a while since i have opened a 06 file. I just know from past issues with various cars that sometime the comm speed is too fast and I lost reads on certain things.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    If the allison uses a separate tcm it might be one that we dont support.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner in Training
    I have tried the slower comm speed and I still get the checksum error, but it was a good consideration.

Bill with regard to the seperate TCM I downloaded and tried to read 3 seperate 2006 stock tunes from the repository and they all showed no trans which tends to support that theory however I have downloaded a non standard 2006 tunes from the forum and there is trans info showing. Has it been your previous experience with 2006 vehicles allison transmission to be this situation?

The original issue: When I scan the vehicle it scans the engine and trans registers as complete, it is only when I try to save the scan that it errors.
    The suggestion from the boys at HP is to load a fresh standard tune and work from there.
    My experience with HP tuners is limited and I am trying to find a stock tune for the LBZ2006 with the thought to upload it and start from there as advised - with the information at this point is this still the way forward?

cheers

i would connect to the truck and while in the scanner pull a vcm suite log (info button) .
    this should show the transmission serial data because it is vin transfer data.
    this info log can be saved and sent to hpt tech support to see if the transmission ecu is one that is supported.

in the scanner info log, assuming you have remained connected to the vehicle, all connected vehicle information should show up at the bottom of the info log.

i can pull a sample info log to post up but it would be for my LML cause thats all i have access to at this time.

This is the connection log from my LML. It has a Trans Control Module section. The data from the whole info log would be a requirement to get insight from tech as to weather or not your particular trans os (if it reads over just connecting) is supported.LML Capture.JPG

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for your advise on that I will give that a try tomorrow
    much appreciated
    cheers

Tuner in Training
    CobaltSS I tried to scan the vehicle, and it tries to gather information then comes up with an error. the suggestion is it cant read the vehicle.
    I notice the vehicle has Banks performance products fitted - I havent heard of them but according to the owner it had a plug in module originally, which was disconnected when he first got the vehicle - could this play any part like locking the computer etc

cheers

if it was not properly removed from the vehicle it could play a part in connection.
    im not familiar with which vendors lock ecu programming.