Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Any tune basics for the 65RFE ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim P View Post
    Can PM me if interested in it. Would come at price though. Chances are I would be needing to do a bunch of mapping out as I don?t have many tune files of the 65RFE and the tune would have to be locked. I?m not giving out open tunes anymore that have deep level customization.
    I can respect it, I was just wondering if it could be done, and I figure if anyone knew it would be you. I'll let my customer know and see what he wants to do.
    04 GTX........ 8.91@151mph 392Ci G3Hemi NA 3600lbs 2.6HP/CI Naturally Aspirated
    05 GTxtreme 9:45@142mph 426Ci G3Hemi NA 4000lbs
    G3 Hemi Videos

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClS...5mXdDR5sOxs10Q

Potential Tuner
    Will this work for the 68rfe?

Banned
    I can tell you haven?t really read this thread because I clearly stated on the last page that I run full locked upshifts on my 68RFE. So yes, it can be done.

Potential Tuner
    I can tell you haven?t really read this thread because I clearly stated on the last page that I run full locked upshifts on my 68RFE. So yes, it can be done.
    Sorry Jim I did read the thread. I meant to quote the write up from Chad Pope on the first page. I just installed a revmax zero flex VB in my truck. Want ramp up line pressure and make shifts crisper and not lug maybe stretch out the gesrs a bit longer, make it act like it’s in tow/haul without the downshifts. I have an 07.5-09 truck, as I understand it these are more difficult to tune? I also have Anarchy EFI tunes on the truck. I’d like to not have to change them. Just want to use HP tuners to tune the trans and then maybe down the road after I take a course or 2 and do some serious reading I’ll jump into the ecm side of things.

I’m also a FNG. So please bear with me.

Thanks
    Tyler
    Last edited by TylerTunes; 06-18-2021 at 02:17 PM.

Banned
    Honestly the so called guide in this thread isn?t very good, not really right and not worth applying, especially to a 68RFE. Really there is a bunch of parameters missing to properly dial in the RFE transmission. The 07.5-09 68RFE is more difficult to get tuned, it?s quite unorthodox compared to 2010+.

No clue what FNG is.

Potential Tuner

No clue what FNG is.
    Fucking New Guy

Any tips on where to start?

Are locked shifts capable on my year?

Banned
    Yes locked upshifts are possible for your model year.

Tuner in Training
    Great read. I have 65rfe with 2700 stall. HRT stage 2 cam and a few other things. I understand more now and feel better about toying with it. Jeep has been running and driving 3 weeks now but I have been taking it easy so I don't kill converter. I have engine side tune safe and idles well /I will update after playing some

Tuner in Training
    Also interested in paying to get a tune on trans side.

Tuner in Training
    Lockup/unlock is based off of throttle position vs turbine speed. Getting rid of partial lockup between shifts is a whole other ball game. Raise up your unlock to part lock tables if you don?t want it lock up so early.
    That helped my HWY cruising. Thanks

Potential Tuner
    In the VCM Editor, when editing upshift and downshift profiles, both the X coordinate (trottle %) and the Y coordeinates (rpm values themselves) can be edited. I am curious, is changing the X coordinates (trottle %) is OK with the transmission controller?

I've changed them in my tune, the VCM Editor saves them, writes them to the PCM/TCM, the vehicle moves, but I need to be sure if the controller reads them and interprets them correctly.

I also saw several stock tunes from the repository for different vehicle models with the same 45/545/65rfe transmission with slightly different X cootrdinates.

Potential Tuner
    One more question - does anybody know what exactly TCC unlock, unlock to partial, partial to full, full to partial means?

For example if the TCC is in full lock, how "Full to partial" threshold makes it go out ot full lock? The threshold is in rpm, and i suspect it is a difference between something, or a speed of something, but what exactly?

Advanced Tuner
    I look at it as the screwing part

kinda pregnant

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkybg View Post
    One more question - does anybody know what exactly TCC unlock, unlock to partial, partial to full, full to partial means?

For example if the TCC is in full lock, how "Full to partial" threshold makes it go out ot full lock? The threshold is in rpm, and i suspect it is a difference between something, or a speed of something, but what exactly?
    TCC unlock means TCC unlock, TCC unlock to partial means TCC unlock to partial lock, etc etc etc. not really sure what you are getting at here. The TCC has 3 states it can be in, unlocked, partially locked and full locked and it needs set points to tell it when to move between the different states. The speed in the TCC tables uses turbine speed, it’s not an offset or a delta or a something, it’s turbine speed.

Potential Tuner
    Understood.

And another question - Torque Management can be disabled from "Engine" section, and from "Transmission" section.

If it is disabled in "Engine" section, but not disabled in "Transmission" section, could this cause problems? For example, TCM with enabled torque management sends the needed signals and expects something to happen, but nothing happens because the ECM with disabled TM won't allow it to happen?

Potential Tuner
    One more question about TCC set points - "Unlock to Partial Lock" and "Partial to Full Lock" are obvious - it will switch to the state when the RPM for a given trottle % is above the value of the table, but how about the "Full to partial" and "Unlock" thresholds? It will go to these modes if RPM are below, or above the value.

Here's what I want to achieve - with stock tune, on 3-rd (direct) gear, the TCC goes to partial lock relatively easy, but almost never goes to full lock. I made it go to full lock more easily, making unlock to partial lock and partial to full lock tables more or less similar to these for 4-th gear, but now it "sticks" to 3-rd in locked state too much for my taste - I have to push the pedal pretty far down in order to get it out of full lock. What can I do to make this needed push smaller? Can it be done by altering "Full to partial" and "Unlock" tables? Should I increase or decrease the values there?

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerTunes View Post
    Sorry Jim I did read the thread. I meant to quote the write up from Chad Pope on the first page. I just installed a revmax zero flex VB in my truck. Want ramp up line pressure and make shifts crisper and not lug maybe stretch out the gesrs a bit longer, make it act like it’s in tow/haul without the downshifts. I have an 07.5-09 truck, as I understand it these are more difficult to tune? I also have Anarchy EFI tunes on the truck. I’d like to not have to change them. Just want to use HP tuners to tune the trans and then maybe down the road after I take a course or 2 and do some serious reading I’ll jump into the ecm side of things.

I’m also a FNG. So please bear with me.

Thanks
    Tyler
    I am in the same boat. Replacing my Valve body this weekend with a Billet from Revmax, I want to up the pressure, was looking at purchasing an HP Tuner, but I cannot find anywhere weather it can up the line pressure on a 2008 68RFE. Were you able to do this?

Banned
    Yes pressures can be increased for the 07.5-09 68RFE with HP Tuners. It is missing lockup pressure gain for it though.

Potential Tuner
    Yes pressures can be increased for the 07.5-09 68RFE with HP Tuners. It is missing lockup pressure gain for it though.
    Thank you Jim!!! that is super helpful, I now feel confident in making the purchase and getting started!

Banned
    Only a fraction of parameters are available without custom mapping but the basics are there