Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Any tune basics for the 65RFE ?

Potential Tuner

65rfe

Quote Originally Posted by Chad pope View Post
    ok so lets first start with the desired acceleration charts. Go to your shift general chart and look at your desired acceleration offset line. start with making all those in that line( 0 ) . that's really going to take the slush box feel out of that tranny. next go to your general line and click on throttle interpret. make all of those 100. that is the variable pressure control. it changes pressure as the throttle is pressed. next click on shift pressure, then click on upshift. this is the duty cycle that determines how much pressure is running at any given point from torque output. same concept as the throttle interpret. make all those 100 . next scroll over to general on the shift pressure. start with the max pressure lock. this will not let the line pressure build any higher than what you put here. I have mine set at 190. I wouldn't go any higher than 180-190 unless you have a upgraded separator plate in the valve body. to much pressure makes cross leaks. next click on the min line pressure and make it the same as the max neutral pressure (125). next click on max line pressure, this is were you can set the pressure to how you want it to shift. if you like it firm and snappy ,start with 170-180. most like 160-170. just remember what you put your max pressure lock at and don't go above that. next click on pressure fluid temp and set to 0. we want control of the pressure not to temp lol. next click on pressure gain/gear and max out those values. next go to torque converter and then click on general. scroll to the tcc shift slip and tcc shift slip thresh and set those to 0. that is just unwanted heat. next go to manual and click on skip shift enable ect and max that out so it wont skip shift. next you can play with torque management. I have disabled all mine and I have a heavy crew cab with no issues for over a year with a very firm trans shift. I really hope this helps someone. there wasn't any writeup when I was playing with the 545 and the 65rfe tuning. let me know if I can help

I clicked on pressure/gain /gear table and you said to max out the values? I show 3 values the same .230 the the other 3 are lower values. What is the max number supossed to be and do I highlight column and input the max number for all?

Last Q. you said to input max line pressure at 170-180. My table shows a column of different numbers 1-21. do i put 170 in value box and hit = and make the entire column 170?

2013 grand cherokee hemi

Potential Tuner
    On the max line pressure yes just highlight the entire column and enter 170 in the value box and hit = as far as the pressure gain by gear, the max value will be in your bottom right corner of the page.to the right of were the descrition is if im not mistaken it think its .995.

Great read, any updates, how are these trans holding up?

ok so lets first start with the desired acceleration charts. Go to your shift general chart and look at your desired acceleration offset line. start with making all those in that line( 0 ) . that's really going to take the slush box feel out of that tranny. next go to your general line and click on throttle interpret. make all of those 100. that is the variable pressure control. it changes pressure as the throttle is pressed. next click on shift pressure, then click on upshift. this is the duty cycle that determines how much pressure is running at any given point from torque output. same concept as the throttle interpret. make all those 100 . next scroll over to general on the shift pressure. start with the max pressure lock. this will not let the line pressure build any higher than what you put here. I have mine set at 190. I wouldn't go any higher than 180-190 unless you have a upgraded separator plate in the valve body. to much pressure makes cross leaks. next click on the min line pressure and make it the same as the max neutral pressure (125). next click on max line pressure, this is were you can set the pressure to how you want it to shift. if you like it firm and snappy ,start with 170-180. most like 160-170. just remember what you put your max pressure lock at and don't go above that. next click on pressure fluid temp and set to 0. we want control of the pressure not to temp lol. next click on pressure gain/gear and max out those values. next go to torque converter and then click on general. scroll to the tcc shift slip and tcc shift slip thresh and set those to 0. that is just unwanted heat. next go to manual and click on skip shift enable ect and max that out so it wont skip shift. next you can play with torque management. I have disabled all mine and I have a heavy crew cab with no issues for over a year with a very firm trans shift. I really hope this helps someone. there wasn't any writeup when I was playing with the 545 and the 65rfe tuning. let me know if I can help
    I have to say, i tried these settings today. They are 10x better than factory, so much better and smoother shifting. One thing i did notice though was setting the 2-3 enable seemed to be more of a prime for 2-3 than anything.. it was making it feel like 3 shifts in between 1 and 3 lol.. so i just disabled it like factory and cruising by log and feel is was shifting all the gears fine.. thanks a lot chad.. great write up

Update. 2 hours later guy messaged me the update is shifting way too hard now.. course this coming from someone who had the dealership replace his trans.. going to turn it back down a bit today. Still good info and as always. No two transmissions are ever the same, trial and error. Either way thanks again for the tips and info. Always good to know what our changes are doing.

Advanced Tuner
    Glad I read through this thread. I have a 2013 5.7 JGC and I have always hated the shifting characteristics of the trans. I have the engine running the way I like it but those shifts bother the ship out of me. Going to mess with it this weekend. Thank you all!

Quote Originally Posted by Homer View Post
    Glad I read through this thread. I have a 2013 5.7 JGC and I have always hated the shifting characteristics of the trans. I have the engine running the way I like it but those shifts bother the ship out of me. Going to mess with it this weekend. Thank you all!
    Homer, I would recommend adjusting your torque reduction table under engine, fuel cutoff, dfco before anything. Raising these values can have a big effect on the way it shifts

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by luciddeath View Post
    Homer, I would recommend adjusting your torque reduction table under engine, fuel cutoff, dfco before anything. Raising these values can have a big effect on the way it shifts
    Thanks, electronic controlled auto trans tuning is quite new to me.

Thanks, electronic controlled auto trans tuning is quite new to me.
    Glad to help if I can. Torque management is your best friend when it comes to tuning transmissions like this. My gf's 5.0 shifts like a dream with minimal adjustments to clutch pressures.. I just wish we had more options on these.

Potential Tuner

Thumbs up Tune file

Quote Originally Posted by firefox7518 View Post
    Today I also changed the values in the ecm34542 table and boy this was the most noticeable change ever. Now my Durango feels as it has all the full power from the beginning from stand still. The sluggish feeling is gone completely. It's now like normal cable driven throttle bodies. Your foot now drives how much torque you command and not a silly setting lowering it to 25% of the real power the engine has! Of course you need to drive it now completely different as you have the full power all the time. A slight stutter in your toe (really) will now demand power and the cars wants to move.

With all my changes done now you have 1-4 full usable gears and no stupid 2-4 shifts and much faster downshifts to the gears. It now feels like a completely different car! If someone is interested in my changes let me know I would share it because as Tadias48 said it seems that all are keeping their secretes with this transmissions and engines. :-)
    Could I see your tune file please? And thank you!

This is a great thread, and thank you all for your input. How are the DC upshift offsets and Line pressure related to shift feel? Does one do one thing over the other? It sounds like they both make the shift firm. I'd like to maximize clutches, so I'm thinking that setting the line pressure high would accomplish that, but I'd like a firmer than stock shift, but the way it is now is a bit much. I have the line pressure at 170 as suggested and Upshift DC at 0.995.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Tadias48 View Post
    Figured it out. I kept hitting the tcc lock right before the 2-3 shift I just raised the apply speed to 2200+ and it solved it.
    Hi Tadias48,

Can you help me understand what table / setting you changed to address the tcc lock 2-3?

Many thanks,

Mouritz

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by firefox7518 View Post
    Today I also changed the values in the ecm34542 table and boy this was the most noticeable change ever. Now my Durango feels as it has all the full power from the beginning from stand still. The sluggish feeling is gone completely. It's now like normal cable driven throttle bodies. Your foot now drives how much torque you command and not a silly setting lowering it to 25% of the real power the engine has! Of course you need to drive it now completely different as you have the full power all the time. A slight stutter in your toe (really) will now demand power and the cars wants to move.

With all my changes done now you have 1-4 full usable gears and no stupid 2-4 shifts and much faster downshifts to the gears. It now feels like a completely different car! If someone is interested in my changes let me know I would share it because as Tadias48 said it seems that all are keeping their secretes with this transmissions and engines. :-)
    Hi,

Would you mind sharing your TCM tune?

Thanks,
    Mouritz

Tuner in Training
    Homer,

Can you maybe also share your tune? I've seen you have been very active on the forums and I used a lot of the guides you recommended to tune my 6.4L Hemi in my Jeep Wrangler... It is awesome!
    Now I'm working on my 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 and would like to look at your file as a reference.

I hope that is ok.

Thanks,

Mouritz

Tuner in Training
    Chad, awesome write-up! Really appreciate the knowledge share. Glad to see that so many enthusiasts on this forum, combined with the great support of HP Tuners and all the global knowledge... its a winner combination. Again just a BIG THANKS to you and everyone on here.
    Last edited by JWM_Jankowitz; 10-06-2019 at 10:35 PM.

Tuner in Training

Talking Need a bit more help please

I did everything as outlined in Chad's guide. All I can say is WoW! What a difference. I did however also followed what someone was mentioning as far as a lower duty cycle to make it less harder shifting... All good but... got a MIL P0868 - Transmission Fluid Pressure Low (Pending, Current, Permanent). Can anyone help guide me how to fix this in my tune...
    2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie 5.7 ECU (MJ) + TCM (MJ) WIP2.hpt

Appreciate any kind of help here.

Thanks,

Mouritz

Banned
    I wouldn?t recommend lowering shift duty cycle, can easily run into not get enough fluid fill to hold clutches

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim P View Post
    I wouldn?t recommend lowering shift duty cycle, can easily run into not get enough fluid fill to hold clutches
    Hi Jim,

Please let me clarify. I made the part throttle Duty cycle 1.25 higher from stock, hence this should not be the issue. Anything else that comes to mind. One thing that I did change and yet to try is that I have maxed out my Throttle Interpret. It was still at a curve.

Advanced Tuner
    Can anyone give some insight to tuning the torque converter in these things? I have it shifting really nicely based on the recommendations here, but the converter lockup is really odd. If someone doesnt mind sharing a tune file, that would be nice.

Banned
    What?s odd about it?