Thread: 2005 48RE Cummins

Tuner in Training

2005 48RE Cummins

Would there be a way to set tow/haul mode as default? If not than can I copy over the tow/haul mode tables over to the regular tables to make it act the same? Or are there settings that I can?t get to that would be needed? I really have very little to no knowledge of transmission tuning.

Banned
    The shift schedule tables can only be adjusted so far before they will no longer be followed. Not sure if the tow/haul shift schedule will fall outside of what it will follow or not. To get the 48RE to follow exactly what you want requires user defined parameters and altering the right parameters. Not sure if HPT?s restriction on user defined parameters allows altering the required parameters either.

Banned
    If memory services me right, 19% throttle and above is when the issue of the transmission not following the shift schedule when set outside specific ranges.

Banned
    To give an idea of what?s missing in all tuning platforms for the 48RE transmissions, there are a combination of some 700 single value parameters, 2D maps and 3D maps. Somewhere I have a complete list and address location for a 2005 California calibration.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim P View Post
    To give an idea of what?s missing in all tuning platforms for the 48RE transmissions, there are a combination of some 700 single value parameters, 2D maps and 3D maps. Somewhere I have a complete list and address location for a 2005 California calibration.
    I'd bet if you submit them to support, they'd be willing to add them.
    2008 J2 F-350 CCSB

Banned
    There are 4 different calibrations for 2005 alone, I only have one of them completely mapped out, now add years 2004 through to 2007 and each different calibration for each year, every calibration the address for a parameter is different. Sending in for one years one out of four calibration addresses, doubt it would get added for just the one years calibration.
    Last edited by Jim P; 01-20-2019 at 02:36 AM.

Tuner in Training
    That?s kind of what I was afraid of. I?ve played with it a little bit and have yet to get a desired outcome from it. I?m thinking that it?s going to just be much more simple to do a valve body upgrade (which is planned anyway).

Thank you for the info Jim

Banned
    A valve body upgrade would be a big benefit but still won?t resolve being able to get exact desired shift results due to how the 48RE?s programming is set up from factory. The way it?s set up from factory is it does post shift torque calculations and other calculations and if you change the shift point to a point where the desired post shift torque and other parameters are no longer within expected or desired range it defaults to a different shift schedule resulting in not getting your desired shift point.

Banned
    With the right information, knowledge and understanding of user defined parameters and what the parameters do you can achieve really good results with the 48RE beyond what most believe.

Just another example to throw in here, the 2006-2007 automatic you can add an exhaust brake and it will work off the factory ecm, prior years companies sell standalone controllers for exhaust brakes to get them to work as the ecm won?t control the exhaust brake out of the factory. Through user defined parameters you can enable the factory ecm exhaust brake parameters and have it and the transmission set up to downshift, unlocking and relocating during downshifts and have the exhaust brake active down to 20mph.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim P View Post
    With the right information, knowledge and understanding of user defined parameters and what the parameters do you can achieve really good results with the 48RE beyond what most believe.

Just another example to throw in here, the 2006-2007 automatic you can add an exhaust brake and it will work off the factory ecm, prior years companies sell standalone controllers for exhaust brakes to get them to work as the ecm won?t control the exhaust brake out of the factory. Through user defined parameters you can enable the factory ecm exhaust brake parameters and have it and the transmission set up to downshift, unlocking and relocating during downshifts and have the exhaust brake active down to 20mph.
    That's excellent news. I was given an exhaust brake and was trying to figure out how to manage it without it costing a bunch of money. I'll have to look further into this for sure.