Thread: Read my scan pls!

Potential Tuner

Read my scan pls!

I am new to tuning and looking for some help. This is a scan i did on my 25 min commute to work. Im driving an 04 CTSV no real mods, just Cold Air Intake, and mufflers/resonators removed. Everything else is stock. I really dont know where to start. I would like for someone to read my scan and tell me what tables to edit and why.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Needs more data, you are missing lots of information.

You need your injector pulse width avg for both banks, commanded EQ ratio or commanded AFR, knock retard, burst knock, cylinder airmass and anything else you think you should be logging.

I will say this, nobody is just going to flat out write you a book on what you need to change and why. Some readings and homework must be done on your end to figure out why things work the way they do and how many tables in the computer talk with each other.

For the most part on a stock vehicle like this, basically nothing "needs" to be done because it's more of a want thing. You can want it to act differently of respond a certain way to fueling changes, timing changes, torque mngt settings.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for the response I really appreciate it. I did that data log just a few days after opening the software for the first time so.....

I though there would be enough in the file that someone would be able to find inefficiencies in the stock tune. I am under the impression that a custom tune for your engine will always help the engine perform better than a stock tune.

I didn't think i would get a "book", but surely a good tuner has a pretty standard process that he goes through with every vehicle. Just like you could immediate see that i didnt log enough data and told me what else i need to pull to be effective.

For instance, with my limited knowledge, looking at that data. My spark advance looks very conservative, and my LTFT are too high. Would that be accurate?

Timing looks okay to be honest. Mid 20's is pretty darn good for making torque/hp. I have never thought it was worth it to run timing to the point of knock or to the very last horsepower. That particular log didn't show the channel be logged but it didn't seem to show much because the timing wasn't showing any real drop offs under power, more just a gradual decrease as the rpms get higher.

Fuel trims aren't bad either, a few spots they are a little high but it's not a constant thing were they are always up over 10%. It could be touched up. Also if the MAF hasn't been cleaned in a while, do that as well.

Yes, a tune can help it act better than stock. It's more so in how it responds to changes and not really gaining any huge power. Power enrichment changes, timing in the mid range can all do that kind of stuff.

Also without a wideband o2 sensor to monitor the real time air fuel ratio, you won't be able to do any full throttle fueling changes to try and clean that up and maybe pick up a little power. Factory tunes run them richer, likely down into the 11's and bringing that up to around 12.0-12.5 is a better spot to aim for.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    Thats excellent info thank you.
    So....
    After do i my cat delete and long tube install what can expect to see and what would likely need to be corrected.
    I will get a wideband soon.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by sctechnical View Post
    Thats excellent info thank you.
    So....
    After do i my cat delete and long tube install what can expect to see and what would likely need to be corrected.
    I will get a wideband soon.
    You'll see some out of wack fuel trims. Nothing catastrophic, but a tune will line them out.

What exactly are you wanting to achieve with a tune though? That scan you lived in the low load/rpm range with exceptions of a few WOT short bursts.

Check this thread out, I'll be using it as soon as weather cooperates.
    www.ls1.com/forums/f9/tuning-guide-i-found-based-hptuners-46733/

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for the link. I just want to make sure my engine is running as efficiently as possible for now. I will be making some changes soon and will need to be able to tune for this.