Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wideband disappears when recording.

Thank you for replying...definitely agree that it would be great to hear anything at all from HPT... on it...try this, update firmware, etc.

I just wanted to follow up on this and go through my process of elimination to get this resolved:

Ran Putty, saw the data received flow was moving steadily and properly until suddenly it just ceased and Putty seemed to freeze as well. Very similar to what was going on in HPT VCM Scanner, except in VCM I still had full control post error. Tried to log using my old Lenovo dedicated tuning laptop. Data received perfectly without a problem for however long I wanted to log for. This led me to condemn Windows 11 OS, as everything else appeared sound and appeared to be working just fine. Did a full clean install of Windows 10 yesterday to rule out a potential lack of software support or potential undetected OS bug and wasted a good 6-7 hours while waiting for all my personal stuff to retransfer over to the laptop from my external HDD and SD drives.

Re- checked driver for Serial to USB adapter and found it was a vastly different version for Windows 10 vs 11. No problem as I knew this version was guaranteed good based on the version my old Lenovo laptop has. Re- disabled every single power saving feature including USB selective suspend and even ran max allowable parameters of 998 seconds instead of default 10 seconds for selective suspend for the COM port in the device manager > properties > advanced settings of the adapter driver (Prolific 2303 RA chipset).

Re- ran my logs, drop outs persisted. My next thought was that the USB port hubs themselves were not providing sufficient power to the adapter cable to allow for consistent connections leading to drops. Downloaded and used an application called USB Deview which allowed me to see the power activity at all times and the voltages provided to the cables and their respective devices connected to them. What I found was that the cable was digitally disconnecting from the USB port, as if it wasn't plugged in. What tipped me off to this was the disconnection sound when you pull a USB cable out of the port as the laptop and cable were sitting virtually undisturbed. Oddly enough this audible notification was not as pronounced on Windows 11 as it is on 10 so in hindsight I'm glad I reverted back as I would had never noticed this issue on W11 otherwise.

This drove me near to the point of giving up and condemning the laptop hardware itself BUT out of a last ditch effort after exhausting all of the options I explored and modified above I checked my computer BIOS version and happened to find that it was out of date and out of current revision (not by a ton mind you) so I went ahead and did the necessary steps needed to update. Plugged the cable back in after everything was brought up to date and re- checked my information outputs on USB Deview. So far no issues and has not disconnected yet after staying plugged in for more than 5-15 minutes. I am now at hour 2 or 3 and the connection has stayed rock solid consistent without showing gray bullet on the left side and reading "disconnected" in the program and shows a consistent draw of 100 mA. Perfect now and super stable just as it should be.

Definitely a lot more testing than I consider worth the hassle but considering the price of these AFR gauges I'm not about to go buy a new one waste all sorts of time running new wiring all over again that I literally just ran in my Camaro and possibly go through a whole new set of headaches given the unreliability of logging using pro features or even the 30-0334 AEM gauge.

I hope this helps someone in the future.
    Last edited by ZLRob; 09-20-2022 at 11:55 PM.

Good info..thank you! I still can't understand what changed in my situation after a simple re-poll. That's when I lost it. I can't see an out of date BIOS causing this at that specific moment.

Quote Originally Posted by cpd004 View Post
    Good info..thank you! I still can't understand what changed in my situation after a simple re-poll. That's when I lost it. I can't see an out of date BIOS causing this at that specific moment.
    You know, there seems to be an issue with serial data receive (RX) on newer laptops and PC's as well. I don't know if it has to do with out of date hardware compatibility or crap cables or what. The cables sold these days are sold with two flavors of chipsets only. One is Prolific and the other is FTDI. I actually got this recommendation from a guy on another forum, but always go with FTDI as there are too many TX and RX issues documented using Prolific chipsets as a lot of cheap knock offs are made and sold using that chipset. I was using a Prolific cable for a long time as I didn't know any better and you figure its just a simple cable, but I switched over to a Sabrent 6 ft. cable with the FTDI chipset. The computer picked it up immediately and downloaded the latest driver for it. The FTDI chipsets inside of the cable just work, and they always work. If you examine the USB manufacturer for the MPVI2 and it's associated included cable, you will also find that it is manufactured by FTDI. Now I see that there is a reason for that.

I'm glad your issue was less complex than my own. Resyncing and re- polling is always a good method if you are having issues. Sometimes something as simple as exiting out of the program and opening it back up helps as well.

Unfortunately there is no one fix solution to the serial data receive issue that seems to be relatively commonplace with the logging software now. I recommend downloading Putty to test your serial output to see what is happening and if it is true and I also recommend downloading USB Deview to find out all of the technical information output of each USB connected to your laptop or PC. Both applications combined make the diagnostic process of trying to trace down what the heck is going on a much less complex task.

Baud rate for AEM gauges using serial data is 9600
    Data bits: 8
    Parity bits: none
    Stop bits: 1
    Flow control: none

These are usually default settings, but it always helps to check the advanced settings under the driver of the cable in the device manager of Windows.

Like I said, total pain in the rear right? Haha.

I haven't had much time to get back into the wideband issue. I did update the bios on my Lenovo laptop that I only use for tuning. I haven't had a chance to see if it did the trick.

I'll have to dig in and check each point you made if the updated BIOS didn't make it stay.

Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by cpd004 View Post
    I haven't had much time to get back into the wideband issue. I did update the bios on my Lenovo laptop that I only use for tuning. I haven't had a chance to see if it did the trick.

I'll have to dig in and check each point you made if the updated BIOS didn't make it stay.

Thanks for the info.
    No worries!

One more thing I haven't mentioned which I noticed wonky is on the HPT software side. You cannot run the bluetooth on MPVI2 and try to plug in a singular USB for the serial data wideband. You HAVE to be physically connected to the computer with the MPVI2 otherwise it will not display the serial wideband data for some reason.

Once and if you are good there, there is an order of connection that should be done in order for things to work properly. The first one being the serial wideband USB connector THEN the MPVI2. If you do it the other way you may get a WB non display glitch on the logger as far as current values display goes. If you still continue to have an issue then exit out of the VCM scanner entirely and open it back up. Then it should start displaying everything properly. This method assumes you have good cabling and wiring all the way up to the USB and already get consistent display from it on the logger but are just running into random non displays on the graph side and channel side at initial record command.

Potential Tuner
    Hi guys I was having the same issues with my AEM wideband going through a serial to USB adapter. It was working great till a month or 2 ago where the wideband just wouldn?t log. I tried a new serial adapter, new software with the new serial adapter, and even a new wideband sensor Bosch LSU4.9 but nothing got it to log on VCM Scanner. Until I saw a video from Goat Rope Garage where he mentioned that newer laptops don?t open the serial port (something like that) unless there?s something connected when you power it on. So I plugged in the serial to USB adapter before I started up the laptop and boom it?s logging! I tried disconnecting and reconnecting the Serial to USB after that and see if it?ll still log but it did not until I shut it down and reconnected the serial to USB before powering up the laptop. Hope this helps someone out there because I was chasing my tail for two days over this. I think it might have been an update on my laptop but idk for sure

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for this discussion. Was having the same issue. Re syncing while the laptop
    and computer are connected to the truck did the trick.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapout Tuning View Post
    I had a customer with this issue today. Every time he would add the wideband to the VCM Scanner channels, then start scanning, it would disappear. Turns out I had forgotten to activate his Pro Feature license on the My Devices page of the HP Tuners website. Once that was done it still didn't work, until he clicked Resync. Then everything was completely fine.

At what point in the following list would you resync:

1. Delete the file in folder "documents>hp tuners>VCM scanner >vehicles".
    2. Plug your HPTuners MPV obdii interface and USB into your laptop.
    3. Turn on vehicle.
    4. Wait for Wideband to "boot up"
    5.Open Scanner.
    6. Connect to vehicle.
    7. Repoll for supported parameters.
    8. Scan.

Thanks!
    2005 Silverado 2wd Crue Cab, Daily Driver
    2005 370" LQ4, BTR Truck Torque Cam, 202/202, .511/.511 111
    LS6 Springs, LS7 Lifters, Trunnion upgrade
    Speed Engineering HAI, Stock exhaust with 3" I/O Flowmaster
    New 4L65E