Thread: 4L60E converter swap.. please help!!

Tuner in Training

4L60E converter swap.. please help!!

Hey everyone! I could use quite a bit of help. I'm getting the idea of engine tuning. But I swapped out my cam in my 2003 Chevy Avalanche and installed a 2400 stall converter. I need to set up my transmission to shift correctly. Itll drive but it wont shift until 3000 RPM. So any starting point or numbers would be appreciated! Thank you in advance! -Eric
    2003 Chevy Avalanche 5.3L 1500 4x4
    222/224 @.050 .566/.568 Lift CompCams
    706 Heads ported and polished with Lunati valvetrain upgrade
    2400 TCI Stall Converter
    DNA Headers
    Gibson cat-back exhaust
    Stage 3 BullyDog cold air intake

Is the engine side complete?

Like have you corrected the airflow and fueling tables so they are all in line?

The way the transmission functions is directly related to how well the engine calibration is. So if the airflow/fueling model is way out in left field, the transmission will struggle to act correctly.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    I did the base tuning for idle and airflow. Messed with spark a little for idle hang but no fine tuning as far as fuel trims and stuff like that. I'm takin ideas on that too. But yes, I got the basics done.
    2400 TCI Stall Converter
    DNA Headers
    Gibson cat-back exhaust

Tuner in Training
    here are the tune and scan files i have so far. i dont really get why long term is running so rich..
    2003 Chevy Avalanche 1500 4x4 Base 5.3L V8.hpt 5.3 Chevy Avalanche 1500 4x4 Scanner Log 1.hpl
    2400 TCI Stall Converter
    DNA Headers
    Gibson cat-back exhaust

That's not rich, that's lean.

Positive numbers mean it's running lean and making the computer try and fix it. You aren't logging your o2 sensor mv channels so it's hard to say if the drivers side o2 sensor is dead, because that side is a big issue right now. Could even be a huge vacuum leak or exhaust leak on that side.

Bank 2 is on struggle street too, it's being over worked.

Get a wideband o2 sensor into your logs and fix the VE table and MAF curve, then worry about your transmission shifting abnormally. It's very possible that the transmission will run far better once the entire airflow model is gone through. Everything from part throttle airflow/fueling and full throttle will have to be adjusted.

Also you are missing tons of stuff from your logs. Knock retard, injector pulse width avg, o2 sensor mv, throttle positon sensor, MAF sensor if you are running one, cylinder airmass. All that stuff should be in there.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Idk why my maf isnt pickin up.. all that is getting far beyond my capabilities right now. Is there a way to get me started in the right direction? I deleted my cats with my new headers and y pipe kit. I have front o2's but pulled my rear sensors but havent shut them off yet. I dont know what a wideband is. I know I'm a newbie and this will take some time but all help is appreciated.. as far as an exhaust leak I have a broken header bolt in the front hole and the back hole for my headers..
    Last edited by WhYsOsErIoUs; 01-20-2019 at 08:33 AM.
    2400 TCI Stall Converter
    DNA Headers
    Gibson cat-back exhaust

Potential Tuner
    You're going to need to make sure you don't have leaks in any system 1st, be it intake, exhaust or vacuum. you'll chase values till the end of time if you don't.
    A wide band sensor reads a larger range for your air to fuel ratio (AFR), you need one to do any full throttle tuning. They're also good as a sanity check for your stock O2's (also called narrow band sensor)
    Go into your tune in the engine DTC list and turn off anything that has to do with your rear (sensor 2) O2 sensors.
    As 5fdp said, trans can and will shift strangely with an incomplete, or jacked up, engine tune. I had an after MAF vacuum leak and chased it for a good while until I finally fixed it. everything that was giving me fits was remedied after i fixed the leak.

Tuner in Training
    Well I just changed my spark plugs and i think 4,6 and 8 were fouled out. Engine runs pretty good. Still gotta hook up the scanner. Sounds better and dont see any blue smoke.

[ATTACH]86224[/ATTACH

0x10: P0101 - Mass or Volume Air Flow A Circuit Range/Performance (Pending)
    0x10: P0353 - Ignition Coil C Primary/Secondary Circuit (Pending, Current, History)

I added Iso-Heet with injector cleaner too so i dont know how much that will affect my readings..
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by WhYsOsErIoUs; 01-20-2019 at 02:36 PM.
    2400 TCI Stall Converter
    DNA Headers
    Gibson cat-back exhaust

Potential Tuner
    I'm not sure what that would do, but I have heard (no idea if its true) that those kinds of additives can foul plugs and damage the O2 sensors.

I would be looking at a pretty bad exhaust leak with LTFT at +25 and STFT +55.

Tuner in Training
    What's the possibility of it being the coil since its misfiring in cylinder 3.
    2400 TCI Stall Converter
    DNA Headers
    Gibson cat-back exhaust

Move the coil to another cylinder then and see if it follows.

But really you can not have any intake leaks or exhaust leaks. If you have broken exhaust bolts you are surely on the high probability side for an exhaust leak. Read up on wideband tuning and buy one. Buy a book or purchase a tuning course because trying to learn on such a modded engine is going to take a long time and could cost you more money in the end if something gets screwed up.

Tuner in Training
    Well. Turns out my brain didnt want to work one day so I put my INTAKE TUBE BACK ON AND TIGHTENED IT DOWN.. lol But I was getting a misfire code for cylinder 3. So I pulled the plug, wiggled some wires and now it decided to work...except the misfire moved to cylinder 5.. what the hell do I have goin on??? Please help..
    2400 TCI Stall Converter
    DNA Headers
    Gibson cat-back exhaust

Tuner in Training
    Ok. I have been reading and youtubing but can you atleast tell me if, with the cam I have, could it throw my timing off enough that it will cause a P0300 code? I changed cylinder 3 and 5 coil packs n it's still molson and a have a light glow on my header on #8
    Last edited by WhYsOsErIoUs; 01-30-2019 at 12:31 PM.
    2400 TCI Stall Converter
    DNA Headers
    Gibson cat-back exhaust