Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Turbo 5.3 help!

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    5F...convertor issue?
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Tuner in Training
    I have a triple d 3200 converter. seeing as I can't get to 3200 rpm consistently, How could I test this. I did notice in one of my drives, that my torque flat lines at 567ft/lb. I went through the torque tabs to see if there was anything that could be causing it, but I didn't want to change something unless I knew what it does. 11:40:52 and 11:41:49 in the attached log. I'll check if I can make power in 1st or 2nd.

CobaltSS- What would boost creep look like in a scan?
    Attached Files Attached Files

if you run wastegate spring pressure then you will notice a pressure that the spring regulates to. if boost keeps on trucking past spring pressure then its not an issue.
    your at such a low rpm you might not be able to tell at this moment.

i should reword my initial creep comment. this is a property that will not limit rpm. typically pressure shoots up and ends up making more power from pressure increase alone.
    this check is only to verify the position its mounted doesnt have issues.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Tuner in Training
    So here is an attempt to gain RPM in 1st and 2nd. I did notice that my TPS is getting random high signals. Didn't see them when I was trying to get over 3500 rpm. When I was a little over 50% throttle, it would accelerate and then bounce off the wastegate spring and not gain any additional RPM. I would assume that even if I was at wastegate pressure, I could still continue to accelerate?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    As a side note, these problems happen to start around the time I downloaded the latest version of HP tuners. Coincidence?

Tuner in Training
    I recently changed out the crank sensor thinking it may have gone bad. Did a relearn and in P/N the engine will rev to 6300 rpm and bounce off the rev limiter. I'm now thinking it has to be tune related and not mechanical. Any suggestions?

If you've been saving your previous files. Flash back to one you did a while ago just after you applied the new OS.

Flash that in. Then copy over any changes to that tune from your most recent stuff, flash that and see if anything changes. Maybe something is up with the current tune you are running.

That is a shot in the dark.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    I'll give it a go. What do you think about trying a colder plug? Maybe a TR7? I'm running tr6 @.028. Is it possible I'm blowing out the spark?

Tuner in Training

Question

If going from n/a to turbo would I only need to update the OS to the 2 BAR and that only? The others seem like they wouldn't be needed. Learning all help appreciated.OS updates.PNG
    Last edited by corn_bread; 12-24-2019 at 08:21 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Valve springs good? If it floats it will hit an rpm and just not accelerate anymore

Quote Originally Posted by corn_bread View Post
    If going from n/a to turbo would I only need to update the OS to the 2 BAR and that only? The others seem like they wouldn't be needed. Learning all help appreciated.OS updates.PNG

That would be just a start, yes. You still have to complete the calibration file with all the right data before running it and tuning it from there. Like injector data, map sensor data, creating a new VE table, setting up the power/boost enrichment and timing curves.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    That would be just a start, yes. You still have to complete the calibration file with all the right data before running it and tuning it from there. Like injector data, map sensor data, creating a new VE table, setting up the power/boost enrichment and timing curves.
    Springs are brand new and I do know that I am going to have to update a lot of data. I am just wondering about OS updates. Thanks for your knowledge and help.

So out of your 3 options 1 bar maf and speed density are no good for boost. They only give you real time tuning access to either the maf or a few sd tables. The 2 bar is is your only boost option. The major difference here is that you get extra fuel tables for the boosted region. Just because you select 2 bar os doesnt mean it's set up either. You need to verify your map sensor settings, make sure your only map channel in the scanner is the 2 bar map channel, setup the be fuel tables and go though to verify the fuel mode you want to tune.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by cobaltssoverbooster View Post
    So out of your 3 options 1 bar maf and speed density are no good for boost. They only give you real time tuning access to either the maf or a few sd tables. The 2 bar is is your only boost option. The major difference here is that you get extra fuel tables for the boosted region. Just because you select 2 bar os doesnt mean it's set up either. You need to verify your map sensor settings, make sure your only map channel in the scanner is the 2 bar map channel, setup the be fuel tables and go though to verify the fuel mode you want to tune.
    I really do appreciate all the help fellas!! I got n/a tuning down pretty good now for the next step. Thanks again!