Thread: 06 Magnum 5.7 Fuel Tuning Help

06 Magnum 5.7 Fuel Tuning Help

Hey Guys,
    I've been tuning and drag racing old carbureted Mopars for many years and recently got into the computerized Mopar stuff. I recently bought a Charger Hellcat but it will be on the back burner for a while. In the meantime, I have an 06 Magnum R/T that I decided to play around with and learn some tuning. Anyway I just rebuilt the 5.7 engine and since I had the motor apart, I made a few minor mods that I need to adjust the tune for. The mods I have made from stock are: CAI; low temp thermostat; stock 6.1L camshaft; MDS lifter delete kit; 6.1L exhaust manifolds & full exhaust. The only changes to the tune I have made so far are to disable the MDS & EGR and adjusted the cooling fan settings. I have a few hundred miles on the engine now and need to adjust the tune as it is running lean as I expected. I have attached a log of cruising and on the freeway with some short WOT pulls. I also attached a copy of the tune which is basically stock. I have an AEM wideband installed in the tailpipe with Innovate clamp and have created a histogram error table in the log. Disregard the end of the log where the AFR goes to 20 as my clamp in the tailpipe fell out!
    My question is how should I go about adjusting the fueling?
    Should I just adjust the 2 VE tables using my histogram % error and continue to log and repeat?
    Is there anything I should be turning off or adjusting in order to log more properly? I do reset the adaptives before logging.
    I plan to do some good WOT logging and tuning at the dragstrip soon. Anything special I should be doing for that?
    Thanks and have a great day.
    Attached Files Attached Files

You are on the right track, set up a histogram for LTFT, adjust both VE tables until they close and can adjust separately if it bugs you or they are crazy side to side. Under airflow-->general, enable the sensed MAP and lower the PR threshold down to .01, especially with a different cam you don't want the PCM following the stock calibrated PR table for MAP.

Thanks for the comment Blue Bee. I'll make the changes in the airflow tab and then get started with LTFT histo and more logging. Should I modify the VE tables from data from both AFR Err and LTFT histo simultaneously or log and change VE tables for only AFR data then LTFT afterwards? Thanks again!

AS long as your O2's are good, do the closed loop VE tuning off of those, WOT off the wide band. Use VE cross multiplication and it will tune fast.

Awesome, thanks for the tips Blue Bee. I'll be out at the track this weekend for some WOT passes.