Thread: 2018 yukon 5.3 brand new with issues

2018 yukon 5.3 brand new with issues

Looking to see if anyone else has these complaints as well and or if you guys think they can be tuned out. Bought the wife a new Yukon, It now has 1100 miles on it and we are still not pleased. It shakes or vibrates at idle sometimes, it comes and goes. Pull up to a light and its smooth, sit there for 10 seconds and runs rough, smooths out sometimes then rough,not like completely dropping a cylinder, all most like the cam timing is changing. Upon start off there is a huge throttle lag and as you keep pushing the pedal it then lurches, twice now I have got it to bounce back and fourth. As it is accelerating light throttle it surges on its way up through the gears and you can feel the vibrations or shaking it was doing at idle. It is not in V4 mode when doing any of this. The factory tuning is terrible for low speed drive ability. Full throttle it's fine.

The wife hates her new ride.

The dealer says it's supposed to be that way.

I all ready lowered it and de-badged it, so we need to keep it. And dealer says I won't loose my warranty if I program it.

So, do you guys think this can be tuned to run smoother or would it just be an uphill battle, don't want to be fighting a mechanical issue. I don't need more power, but it needs to run smooth. I Have tuned stand alones, up to Gen3, and my D-max LML so I am familiar with tuning torque tables, just not on gas yet.

Any help or Ideas would be great.
    Thanks,
    Last edited by staytuned; 01-27-2019 at 10:34 AM. Reason: spelling

I have a 17 Silverado 6.2 A8. I wasn't happy day one with how the truck ran, shifted, etc. I started logging and making small changes which helped. The biggest help was getting a new TCM and then having HP do their thing to it. I was able to get the truck to run the way I want. No more weird idle issues, no clunky drivetrain and the throttle response is night and day.

I did find that V4 mode would activate at times and not register on the dash. Only caught it while logging one day and just happened to notice it. Not saying that is your issue, just something I noticed. I attached my most current PIDS list, so modify as needed. I do use this truck as a test mule so there are dual widebands permanently mounted and an actual ethanol sensor wired in and functional. This list should get you ready to sort through more data than you may want to see.

Good luck, keep us posted.

E92 Auto.Channels.Channels.xml

[QUOTE=DHC;556440]I have a 17 Silverado 6.2 A8. I wasn't happy day one with how the truck ran, shifted, etc. I started logging and making small changes which helped. The biggest help was getting a new TCM and then having HP do their thing to it. I was able to get the truck to run the way I want. No more weird idle issues, no clunky drivetrain and the throttle response is night and day.

I did find that V4 mode would activate at times and not register on the dash. Only caught it while logging one day and just happened to notice it. Not saying that is your issue, just something I noticed. I attached my most current PIDS list, so modify as needed. I do use this truck as a test mule so there are dual widebands permanently mounted and an actual ethanol sensor wired in and functional. This list should get you ready to sort through more data than you may want to see.

Awesome, thanks for the info. I love data so that will help a bunch. This has the T43 controller in it for the 6spd so it should be a bit easier. But I guess they eliminated the TCC pressure/offset values to help keep the TCC locked up full time. Which also bugs me, mainly because I own a transmission shop and know it is smoking the converter clutch all the time.

I did change the allowed convertor slip to 0 across the board for every table related to convertor slip. That change alone made the biggest difference in light to medium throttle acceleration, went from slightly jerky to smooth. I did change the shift and convertor schedules using the latest bluecat software. I spent a lot of time on the schedule getting it the way I want, I like a little more throttle input to make a down shift happen. I also spent a lot of time smoothing the DD tables. Making sure the throttle stayed open was easy, getting the pedal and throttle blade to move together was more of a chore, was able to get it after lots of very small changes and lots of smoothing.

Quote Originally Posted by DHC View Post
    I did change the allowed convertor slip to 0 across the board for every table related to convertor slip. That change alone made the biggest difference in light to medium throttle acceleration, went from slightly jerky to smooth. I did change the shift and convertor schedules using the latest bluecat software. I spent a lot of time on the schedule getting it the way I want, I like a little more throttle input to make a down shift happen. I also spent a lot of time smoothing the DD tables. Making sure the throttle stayed open was easy, getting the pedal and throttle blade to move together was more of a chore, was able to get it after lots of very small changes and lots of smoothing.

So you were actually playing with the driver demand tables ? I was wondering if that would help. Did you raise the top number as well like some of the other maps I've seen.

I played with DD for a long time. Messed up so many times it is embarrassing. Basically what I came up with is raise the 100% pedal line if blade closes, the control type changes from driver to TqMan, may not be exact terms but if you follow the data you will see it happen. Once I was able to keep the blade open 100% all the time I left the top line alone. I have also left the bottom line alone for a long time. I have now began playing with it more and more, basically cause and effect. I have mine so that it almost glides at highway speed until DFCO kicks in and in town and slower highways, >55, if I let off it immediately begins slowing down. I played with the middle sections of the DD tables little by little until blade movement almost always follows pedal movement. Small changes to the DD table goes a long ways. Don't forget when playing with the DD tables that peak torque table may also be a reason blade is closing. I spent over a month driving a 100% stock truck logging and trying to make sense of what, why and how. Word of caution, do not go down the rabbit hole of trying to back calc the DD tables, we are missing way too many tables and modifiers to even come close to getting the math correct. I may be wrong in that statement but I stopped trying to make perfect sense of it.

I would suggest getting the DD tables set to your liking before you play with the shift schedules. I went around in circles for a couple days before I decided enough was enough. One change one log, what was different, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by DHC View Post
    I have a 17 Silverado 6.2 A8. I wasn't happy day one with how the truck ran, shifted, etc. I started logging and making small changes which helped. The biggest help was getting a new TCM and then having HP do their thing to it. I was able to get the truck to run the way I want. No more weird idle issues, no clunky drivetrain and the throttle response is night and day.

E92 Auto.Channels.Channels.xml
    For some reason I can't open your layout, maybe it's locked ? Thanks, Jeff

Not sure why not. I didn't know you could lock a layout. Try these and let me know
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks for re sending but that didn't work either. You may have created them with an older version. My 4.2.12 says incorrect header.

Driver demand for throttle feel and minimum spark table to keep from dipping down at idle and shaking. I hated this with my Camaro when it was stock so I agree with your wife.
    2018 Camaro SS, LT4 Fuel System, LT4 S/C
    2020 Ford Edge ST
    1999 Pontiac Firehawk
    1987 Chevy Caprice, 6.0L TT 4L80 AWD
    ***Only AWD box chevy in the world***
    Next Level Tuning and Performance
    Tuning email: [email protected]

Not sure what the deal is. I am on 4.2.12 as well and everything on my end works as it should. Sorry I don't have a better answer.