Thread: 02, LTFT and STFT HELP

Potential Tuner

02, LTFT and STFT HELP

I have a 2001 5.3 with a Howards Rattler cam (226/234 525 lift)springs to match cam and a 2800 stall turbo 350. My 02 sensors are reading 450mv at idle but only one is reading voltage in my graph. It runs and idles good with the STFT and LTFT in open loop, as soon as I put in closed loop my STFT go to -25 on one bank and +50 on the other and it is so rich it wont even hardly run. I am new to HP tuners and have the beginers book from the tunning school and have followed it word for word. Do I have a 02 problem or do I have a tune problem or both?? I have attached my tune and my log. I believe I have my scanner PID's right but I am questioning myself in every aspect. Please give me some advice, help or anything to steer me in the right direction. Anything would be greatly appreciated

Thanks, ChrisNew Rattler Tune 17 MAF disabled LTFT Enabled.hpt26 idle.hpl

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    if only one of your sensors B1S1 or B2S1 is reading voltage then you need to chase the wiring down and resolve the signal return issue to the ecu.
    your tune file shows the transmission is set to 4l60e... typically for a TH series trans you change it to non-electric and send a pressure switch signal back to the ecu so it knows when it is in gear. How are you telling the ecu when it is in gear?
    if your not doing anything to tell it that it is in gear then it will never switch between the two idle airflow modes.

do you by chance have a wideband at your disposal? installing one can help you sort fueling issues out very fast. if you do not have one then most users prefer the new AEM sensor because it has an serial rs-232 interface that reduces dealing with ground offset errors. AEM X-series
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Potential Tuner
    Yes I have a wide band on it AEM its on the passenger side down from the 02, its not an X series though,in the Log it is shows the commanded and the wideband AFR. So how do I use my wideband to track down the problem?

Thank You Chris

Potential Tuner
    In my channels I have it on mv and both read 450 mv at idle, but in my graph I could only find B1 and B2 in voltage, B1 has voltage and is on the graph but B2 has NOTHING no line not anything in the graph

the b2 may be using the wrong channel. the read error could be a problem with not using generic vs. forced option channels.

i would shut the o2 sensors off and run in open loop. use afr error by using the commanded afr channel and your transformed wideband channel.
    tune the fueling errors in this way all the way through wot. when your done the trim system should be very close in error upon re-enable.

so they are reading steady450? should be switching

Potential Tuner
    So what your saying is turn the maff off, turn the STFT off and the LTFT off, drive it and copy and past the error numbers in the VE. Then turn the STFT and the LTFT back on, Then tune the MAF to the new VE table correct?

The mv number move some in the channels maybe up to 480 and down to 400

Thanks, Chris

ve and maf are separate.

disable the trims and maf. use the wideband error to correct the fueling. copy the error from the scanner and paste multiply percent half to make corrections.
    once done enable the maf and repeat the same procedure on the maf table using the wideband.

once you are all done. you can re-enable trims and set the maf activation point to whatever you wish. the trims at this point should be about right.

to get the channels to read, i am saying you need to remove them and then re-select them for use in the charts.
    sometimes you select a channel and it asks for generic channel to be used. 99% of the time the generic channel will work so answer yes to the pop up window. if, this does not work then re-select the channel and say no. if it reads on the channel list then it should read on the charts.
    if you need to you can refresh the channels by connecting to the vehicle and then re-polling for channels.
    Last edited by cobaltssoverbooster; 01-22-2019 at 04:00 PM.