Thread: First ls swap and wanting reasurance the tuning is safe

Potential Tuner

First ls swap and wanting reasurance the tuning is safe

Not the first engine ive ever swapped but still fairly new to the ls world and tuning. Could anyone take a look at the log file and see if theres any major points I need to go over. I do still plan on fine tuning down the road but want to make sure im starting out right.

Engine is an lm4 5.3 with 799 heads and ls6 intake and ls6 injectors. Cam is a Texas Speed Low Lift 216/220, .550/.550 112LSA. Rebuilt by me with new bearings, rings and gaskets and heads. Using truck maf and I pulled the injector data from a 2002 camaro file. Car is a '97 volvo wagon with a 700r4. Seems to run decently but hoping fine tuning can pick up a little more power. Trouble spots i noticed were off throttle and coasting the rpm drops and sometimes coming to a stop the engine will die. Had some knock later in the drive but most likely old 87octane fuel and high load in 3rd gear. Will be picking up 92 next time im in town. Hopefully this is enough info to get started and certainly dont hesitate to ask for more. Thanks for the help!

first trip to town.hpl default, mil, o2 aem.+Channels.Channels.xml volvo 5.3 2002 silverado to 2002 camaro injector data, increased start up airflow, fans.hpt

If you can read up on wideband tuning your MAF curve and VE table to dial in the airflow model better and get fueling on point. That can really help with other minor issues too, then final idle airflow or timing adjustments will be much easier.

You're about a full point leaner under full throttle when comparing the commanded AFR against the actual AFR so for sure that will need work. Getting that close will allow you to play with the fueling more, generally commanding 12.2-12.5 on a truck engine is really safe.

I'd change up your PE settings too so it's not waiting as long to enter when you go full throttle. Lower the rpm delay down to like 1,700-2,000, lower the pedal hot/cold down to 60-70% instead of 90% and raise the map kpa to 80-85kpa. Also lower the enable torque down to 80%.

While you're doing stuff make sure you have no exhaust leak pre o2 sensor, no vacuum leaks and that you are running 58psi for fuel pressure. Little things wrong there can easily make your fuel trims max out at 25% at idle.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for the reply! I was finally able to get a gauge set up and take it for a test drive to do some tuning with the VE table. Looks like fuel pressure is stable. Need some more drive time to get some more data but the weather has not been great and i really only can take the car out on the weekends at the moment. Once i get the VE table the way i like it i will do some fine tuning and really be able to have some fun. I do need more data to finalize VE but do you have a suggestion of what i could do afterwords to smooth out and make it look better? What smoothing style works best. Thanks again!