Thread: Virtual Torque Model and Competetive Driving Mode/Active Handling

Advanced Tuner

Virtual Torque Model and Competetive Driving Mode/Active Handling

Does anyone know if C6Z06 Virtual Torque Model is used as an input for Competition Driving Mode, which I guess is controlled by external ABS unit?

Or do you think TCS or Active Handling is managed by E38 PCM? I doubt, but that's why I'm asking.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Pekka_Perkeles View Post
    Does anyone know if C6Z06 Virtual Torque Model is used as an input for Competition Driving Mode, which I guess is controlled by external ABS unit?(snip)
    My guess would be "No". When you enable "Competitive Driving" I'm pretty sure that's a request to the EBTCM to change it's SES calibration.

(snip)
    Or do you think TCS or Active Handling is managed by E38 PCM? I doubt, but that's why I'm asking.[/QUOTE]

The answer is both.

The PCM controls some parts of the actions the EBTCM takes when acting in the stability enhancement mode. For example, if the EBTCM "decides" it needs spark or throttle intervention, it's requests that from the PCM.
    Hib Halverson
    Just Another Tuner in Training.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Hib Halverson View Post
    The PCM controls some parts of the actions the EBTCM takes when acting in the stability enhancement mode. For example, if the EBTCM "decides" it needs spark or throttle intervention, it's requests that from the PCM.
    Indeed.

The way how E38 limits torque is of course spark and/or throttle intervention. I doubt spark cut is used in competition driving mode.

Anyway, I would guess it is the E38 itself, which decides what to do when there is "less torque please" -demand from EBTCM.

I mean, how could the external EBTCM know engine charasterics so well that it would itself calculate how much throttle or spark must be removed. To do that properly, it would need a torque model.

In other words - and I'm purely speculating - EBTCM sends a request to reduce torque, say, 50 Nm (lbft etc.) or 10%. And then E38 does exactly that. Because it does have the virtual torque mode and thus knows what will be needed to achieve that goal (spark or throttle limiting).

Any thoughts? Does this make sense?

I'm asking this, obviously, for a customer whose road race street car has a bit too much intervention with active handling mode.