Thread: Bringing HP tuned PCM back to stock?

Potential Tuner

Bringing HP tuned PCM back to stock?

Hello, I purchased a 2016 Charger Hellcat from an Auction (repo from BOA) and I'm trying to get the PCM updated via Mopar Tech Authority and when I try to flash it I get a error part not compatible. I found a sticker on the back of the PCM for HP tuners so I'm assuming its been unlocked from them. Just won't to know before I go and buy a new one from the dealer ($500) if the HP software would be whats stopping me from flashing it? This all started from the transmission being stuck in park and getting the code P1b14 and it has a TSB that states I need to flash the PCM to the newest software. I'v never messed with tuning so thought I'd see if any of you have a idea.

Thanks,
    Robert

Do you own HPtuners cable and software?
    9 sec Montecarlo SS

Potential Tuner
    I do not, I was just going through the factory programer and software.

I think it's because the HPT-unlocked ECUs have a custom bootloader in them. Find somebody with HPT hardware, it may be possible to flash an updated calibration to that ECU while keeping the tune changes.
    Normally HPT updates the ECU to the latest calibration when you first flash the ECU, depending on when it was unlocked it may already have the latest calibration. Difficult to know without more information.
    Send an email to support with the VIN number of the ECU, only they know if the process is reversible or how to flash with dealer tools.
    9 sec Montecarlo SS

Advanced Tuner
    You should be able to flash it with WiTech without issue. We do this often with HPtuners unlocked PCM's to get a base tune and have not had any issues. I would verify that this car does not have another module (like a Tazer) plugged in somewhere.
    Specializing in building and tuning 1000hp, daily driven, 9 second cars!

www.ostdyno.com Shop Phone: 724-368-9000

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    You should be able to flash it with WiTech without issue. We do this often with HPtuners unlocked PCM's to get a base tune and have not had any issues. I would verify that this car does not have another module (like a Tazer) plugged in somewhere.
    Mike, have you seen issues flashing (be it HP tuner or WiTech) the PCM with Tazer being plugged in? Reason I ask is I have flashed the PCM more than once without unplugging the Tazer (ever since I installed it in the trunk I forget it is there).

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Homer View Post
    Mike, have you seen issues flashing (be it HP tuner or WiTech) the PCM with Tazer being plugged in? Reason I ask is I have flashed the PCM more than once without unplugging the Tazer (ever since I installed it in the trunk I forget it is there).
    I just went through this actually your not crazy. None of the normal commercially available methods would flash it. I was able to flash it with some more advanced equipment. If you need help and want to send the ECU in I can fix it up for you.
    Hope this helps
    AJ

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by HemitunerAJ View Post
    I just went through this actually your not crazy. None of the normal commercially available methods would flash it. I was able to flash it with some more advanced equipment. If you need help and want to send the ECU in I can fix it up for you.
    Hope this helps
    AJ
    Thank you, but I am not having issues with the PCM. I was just asking if there are known problems with having the Tazer connected while flashing the PCM? I have done it by accident on a couple of occasions but did not seem to cause any problems.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Homer View Post
    I have not had any issues flashing tunes with an HPtuners module with the Tazer plugged in. I have had issues trying to get a WiTech module to work with the Tazer plugged in. You mentioned you were trying to flash a calibration from TechAuthority so I assumed you were using WiTech or some type of J2534 pass through device.
    Specializing in building and tuning 1000hp, daily driven, 9 second cars!

www.ostdyno.com Shop Phone: 724-368-9000

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    I have not had any issues flashing tunes with an HPtuners module with the Tazer plugged in. I have had issues trying to get a WiTech module to work with the Tazer plugged in. You mentioned you were trying to flash a calibration from TechAuthority so I assumed you were using WiTech or some type of J2534 pass through device.
    Actually that was rhall09.