Thread: Looking for Books, WB Suggestions

Potential Tuner

Looking for Books, WB Suggestions

Hi all,

I read Greg Banish's book that is a great intro to tuning, however I am looking for something a little bigger. I found this online:

Beginning GM Tuning using HP Tuners Software

Hopefully someone has a used version of this or something similar I can buy? I would rather put $580 towards the MVPI Pro upgrade.

I also purchased GM Gen III LS Series Powertrain Control Systems, and soon I will be purchasing some forced induction ones.

Also might order Don LaSota's The Ultimate GM EFI Tuning Guide for HPTuners

My grandfather was an auto tech for 40 years, my first "job" was being his assistant, any help would be appreciated, I don't mind the harder reading material. It's easier than the technical computer stuff I am used to reading. Also looking for an excel table to help calculate optimal fuel ratio based on temp etc, if I can't find one I will slowly make it I guess.

Let me know if you have any good book / ebook suggestions, I would join HPA / TPS / ERM but won't have much time this year at least.

Also need Wideband Kit suggestions, my initial instinct said go with Bosch $159.99 on eBay.
    Last edited by AutoTune; 01-26-2019 at 06:16 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    How do you plan on using the wideband... perma install in car? Do you want it to output an analog/serial signal that you can datalog and do you want a physical gauge of some sort too?

Advanced Tuner
    Can't go wrong with AEM. Don't know your make/model year, but the OBD2 30-0334 is one of the recommended gages with mpvi2. That what I use and it displays/logs live in the HP Tuner software. It's plug and play other than the bung installation in the exhaust. Had the fastest update of them all 6 months ago. The price your quoting sounds like a sensor only. The AEM is a gage and Bosch sensor kit. You can go either way, but you'll need the pro version mpvi2, expander hub and pro link if you have no gage to read the sensor.

i would recommend hpacademy they only make video content but its explained in detail, they will teach you most things you need to know about tuning in general not just hptuner

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    talk to ED at ERM. Hes in here all the time
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Potential Tuner
    Thank you for all of the suggestions, I would like to get going on that this spring or summer.

I would hopefully perma-install on my truck, currently have 2 unused bungs in exhaust but not sure if position will work unless I modify driver side pipe (newer stainless)

My next step is to upgrade from standard to pro or v2 so I can add the extra data feed for WB

What about this "Ngauge" HPTuners thing I saw for sale?
    Will try to find and post link later

Also I would like to talk to Ed but first I need to get some good logs to share so he or whoever can see where I am at.. still setting up everything, had some medical issues last year that ate up my free time so now I am catching up

Also looking for book ideas still! Tyvm
    Last edited by AutoTune; 01-28-2019 at 08:14 PM.
    2001 Chevy Silverado 5.3L

Cold Air Intake
    Cleaned Intake Manifold, all new gaskets
    Stainless OBX Headers/Cats/Y Pipe/new EGR gaskets
    All new NiCopp brake lines
    New Fuel Lines
    Full front end rebuild, control arms/shocks/CV shafts/tie rod ends/hub assys
    Goodyear Duratrac Load Range E Tires
    New U Joints
    Coolant flush, Mobil One AFS 15k, Mobil One Gear Oil in Diffs, Fresh Tranny Fluid / Filter / Ring / Gasket, Power Steering fluid flushed + conditioner added, AC Recharged