Thread: LDK/LHU w/ Opel Injectors, Knock Retard problems

Potential Tuner

LDK/LHU w/ Opel Injectors, Knock Retard problems

To start, the car has a stock flywheel, stock clutch, OTTP solid front and rear transmission mount, is rotated, stock top trans and engine mount. Used everything from the LDK, intake and exhaust manifolds, cams (obviously). ZZP intake tube with stock airbox, ZZP upper and lower charge pipes with their intercooler, spherical CABs.

Having low load, low rpm knock retard issues. This has been pretty consistent around 30-80% Air Load, below 3000 rpm. So when starting off from a stop sign/red light until 3000ish rpm.

I'm working closely with a very intelligent tuner who has tried many things but still can't narrow it down, VVT timing, main spark timing, DALs, MALTs, Optimum Torque, MBT, injector constant, injector corrections, injector spray angle. I have a log to do today which plays with the spray angle more. But I'm wondering if anyone else here knows what the problem could be? I don't hear any "clangs" like something hitting the chassis somewhere, I don't hear anything popping like raw fuel hitting the exhaust manifold, I'm honestly out of ideas. It's odd that opels in an LNF can be so easy to tune for while in the LDK they're a whole different animal.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    the solid mounts vibrate like a SOB. I had custom solid mounts from powell in my cobalt. set my knock sensors off all the time.
    i also notice low load knock on some factory clutch applications. more specifically the dumb floating flywheel setup found in the solstice/sky.

if you can afford to....i would purchase knock ears. unfortunately the mounts get noisy as hell and disabling the knock sensors and tuning off the ears becomes a much better option. once a true ignition table is programmed in off the knock ears then you can modify knock sensor settings to avoid the prone to trigger rpm ranges.
    haltech and link ecu sell some nice knock ears. i have used them both in the past. wish i still had a set.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Potential Tuner
    Tuner has 2 cobalts, both with same mount config and no dice. this is non floating flywheel (dual mass) it's just regular plate style. knock ears sound like the right way to do it but unfortunately college comes first. tuning was just to fix the injector issues and now we're getting into a whole new can of worms. I have a feeling i will never truly be able to see 0KR throughout the table on this car. The worst part is that cam specs are unknown, and playing with cams helped, but then car suddenly started acting weird again. I'm going to continue to work on it but I'm not the only one. I've seen a few logs with kr in the same spots as me.

I didn't know there was knock sensor tables? hmm.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    the calibration tables require you to use the user defined parameters function which is an account upgrade. This is not easy to use as it requires coding skills to make function.
    The tables i am talking about are the ones that designate the limits of control to the kr system. there is a table that designates maximum kr allowed to be removed. i find where it is prone to knock and lower the max allowed to 0 to disable kr control in that range. (** only if you can prove with 100* certainty that there is no kr in that range)

sometimes in the past i have had to change the desired load request in those ranges to try and load or unload the cylinder in that spot to change any harmonic that might be occurring.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Potential Tuner
    Yeah that sounds super complicated lol. Playing with only exhaust VVT and Injector Hom Single Low he's gotten it pretty low so far. Sticking with stage 1 dals,malts, and leaving all the timing effecting things off (IAT pulling timing, have the evap unplugged). I'm only slightly concerned about it as many people with the LDK/LHU have been reporting the random KR always around 40-60 % Air Load and <1500rpm (leaving a stop sign) and this never happened when I had the LNF in the car. More patience, more playing with spray angle and VVT. I'll see if we get it all resolved.