Thread: Whats needed to swap a Gen II long block into a 18up Mustang GT?

Tuner in Training

Whats needed to swap a Gen II long block into a 18up Mustang GT?

I come from the GM world, and Im trying to figure out when this motor fails what it would take for me just to replace this long block ( with PD blower for intake ) back into the car.....As many of you know we are having trouble with our Plasma Bores. I dont need 1500hp capable modified Gen 3 block...i just need 800hp max...Im SO new to Ford and I cant believe how much trouble im having with my car. In comparision with GM I could go from Gen 3 to 4 by simply buying a 58x to 24x crank sensor translator and cam extension ect. What things are like that on the Gen 3? is the difference simply the block redesign ( supports surrounding bores and move back to 12mm head studs ) or are there sensors that simply wont work or have to be change.....
    The IRMS ( I think thats right the valves in the intake ) wont be an issue, as there with be an edelbrock tvs2650 on it. in fact ill have this with the IRMS and rails for sale if anyone wants it, hear its a 20hp gain. so I assume the heads have same port and entry angle? phasers are different? TB is different but will be reused just trying to think what all needs to be changed since im SO green just being forced into this about 2 years before I thought id have time to learn. Would it be easier to add the 12mm studs to the gen II block and just use the Gen 3 head making it even more straight forward?
    I just dont want to spend the 2700 plus for a sleeved block for 1500hp when I only want to run 800ish HP, when I can grab a whole Gen II pull out for that much. I thought id have a lot more time to learn this new platform but Baptism by fire, so humbling....

thanks
    Shawn.....

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by sgilbert1967 View Post
    I come from the GM world, and Im trying to figure out when this motor fails what it would take for me just to replace this long block ( with PD blower for intake ) back into the car.....As many of you know we are having trouble with our Plasma Bores. I dont need 1500hp capable modified Gen 3 block...i just need 800hp max...Im SO new to Ford and I cant believe how much trouble im having with my car. In comparision with GM I could go from Gen 3 to 4 by simply buying a 58x to 24x crank sensor translator and cam extension ect. What things are like that on the Gen 3? is the difference simply the block redesign ( supports surrounding bores and move back to 12mm head studs ) or are there sensors that simply wont work or have to be change.....
    The IRMS ( I think thats right the valves in the intake ) wont be an issue, as there with be an edelbrock tvs2650 on it. in fact ill have this with the IRMS and rails for sale if anyone wants it, hear its a 20hp gain. so I assume the heads have same port and entry angle? phasers are different? TB is different but will be reused just trying to think what all needs to be changed since im SO green just being forced into this about 2 years before I thought id have time to learn. Would it be easier to add the 12mm studs to the gen II block and just use the Gen 3 head making it even more straight forward?
    I just dont want to spend the 2700 plus for a sleeved block for 1500hp when I only want to run 800ish HP, when I can grab a whole Gen II pull out for that much. I thought id have a lot more time to learn this new platform but Baptism by fire, so humbling....

thanks
    Shawn.....
    I dont think your going to get much help here other than for tuning. This is also the ecoboost forum, not the coyote. 18 short is pretty different from the previous years. You know about the sleeve type and the bore in the 18 is also bigger. . You can just tie wrap the imrc out of the way. Holding them open downs gain anything that I have seen. They truck very nicely out of the way. No idea on the sensors, ecu or plugs. This is all really new and I only know one person that has even swapped an 18 engine. The 18 will take 800 hp all day on e85