Thread: E38 ECU manual vs automatic

E38 ECU manual vs automatic

Hi!

I'm trying to use a E38 ECU from a Camaro 2013 with manual transmission in a enginge swap project with a 4L60E transmission. The problem I have is that I don't get any speed signal which in turn mess up the shiftings of the automatic transmission. Replacing the ECU with another E38 works fine so the problem is not the harness or anything outside the ECU.

Is there a diffence in the OS (not the tune) between a E38 ECU for manual and automatic?

Thank you for any tip or help!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Yeah, it matters. If the computer doesn't have any way of talking with the TCM, it won't know what to do at all.

You could flash the computer with a 4.8/4L60e file and just change the engine parameters to match what you are running, to me that would be a good route to think about.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Do you mean it need another OS or is it just the tune that has to be changed? I have modified the tune carefully according to another borrowed E38 that works fine in the car. However, this didn't solve the problem.

It needs the auto trans OS. Without it, the PCM does not have a way to talk to the TCM or the programming about what to do with it.

One additional benefit, the auto trans OS will return to idle differently than a manual trans OS. It will respond to the load of the torque converter more appropriately as you come to a stop or blip the throttle at a stop. Some of this can be tuned out but I still prefer to start with the appropriate OS. Going from auto to manual usually leaves a rev hang that won't return to idle until you stop. Manual to Auto could have the opposite affect.

The OS mostly is the same both on AT and MT, in most cases the OS changes every model year.
    but you want to run a complete file of an AT car, so best would be a full segment swap from an AT model. there are many more parameters in the segments than you can see in HPT.