Thread: Well I jumped in the deep end of the pool with no floaties on

Potential Tuner

Well I jumped in the deep end of the pool with no floaties on

I watched the mega mechatronics youtube series on how to tune your car. It looked easy enough, I understood all the concepts so I said to myself "what the hell? I can do this"

Checked the hptuners website, saw my car wasn't supported. Oh no, so I go on Google and find that sct does support my car. Cool!

Throw a few coins at them, wait a few days for their dongle to show up, start the software up and oh no... I have no idea what I'm doing.

Car is a 00 focus zetec engine, I have a spare motor with a bad head gasket so if I blow the current one up learning it's no big deal.

Question is, can I still learn from you guys on what to do or am I out of luck? All I've done is turn off the egr system so I don't get the mil codes lol

Advanced Tuner
    Not sure if you're going to find any SCT lifeguards here....

Potential Tuner
    It's a long shot lol but I'm hopeful

Senior Tuner
    I think many of us also use SCT but familiarity with that engine is the problem. You can learn a lot about tuning in general reading people's problems and solutions here though

Advanced Tuner
    I did learn a lot here! I just am not any closer to tuning my 6R80 to shift the way I want.. I would even be willing to spend money to learn but don't know who to pay. The cookbook don't have much about the trans from what I heard.. I need to know how to figure out the 'timings', not just someone to say "set X to this and Y to that"

Quote Originally Posted by blackbolt22 View Post
    I did learn a lot here! I just am not any closer to tuning my 6R80 to shift the way I want.. I would even be willing to spend money to learn but don't know who to pay. The cookbook don't have much about the trans from what I heard.. I need to know how to figure out the 'timings', not just someone to say "set X to this and Y to that"
    ShiftDiagram.PNG This diagram someone posted a while back helps understand the "timings" a little better if you haven't saw it already.
    2011 Mustang GT TT A6
    1998 Eclipse GSX Awd

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by bbrooks98 View Post
    ShiftDiagram.PNG This diagram someone posted a while back helps understand the "timings" a little better if you haven't saw it already.
    Thanks. I did save this one about mid year last year which made me dig deep and do a ton of reading. I believe I have a good understanding on what's going on and when. I'm going to try and study my logs more. I'm using solenoid pressures and shaft speeds. Is this all I need?

Potential Tuner
    i think most of my beginner questions were answered by a book i picked up from don lasota! ill probably only ask questions that would be more 'theory' related

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinosaur Mafia View Post
    i think most of my beginner questions were answered by a book i picked up from don lasota! ill probably only ask questions that would be more 'theory' related
    Can you elaborate on what the information helps you achieve? Are you saying if I buy the cookbook I can now tune a 6R80 or is it just theory of operation / recommended settings. Recommended settings are nice but without knowing why they are recommended it's not really helpful when adjustments are needed. There was also some controversy on clutch fill times with the recommended settings lol.

I need a way to look at the datalogs, drive the car, and make adjustments that won't damage the transmission. Sure I could experiment but what if I set something too high or low and smoke a clutch pack lol.

Potential Tuner
    The names of the fueling tables/spark tables were a bit confusing to me and the software was a bit daunting. he has a hptuners book on his site but i have no idea if i covers transmission tuning for your platform at all, my book does have a small section on it but i have a manual so i didnt bother to try and read it.

unfortunately im not the guy to ask, i literally just finished the section on "making the initial tune" and just saved the changes i made.

this is day 1 stuff for me lol

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbolt22 View Post
    Can you elaborate on what the information helps you achieve? Are you saying if I buy the cookbook I can now tune a 6R80 or is it just theory of operation / recommended settings. Recommended settings are nice but without knowing why they are recommended it's not really helpful when adjustments are needed. There was also some controversy on clutch fill times with the recommended settings lol.

I need a way to look at the datalogs, drive the car, and make adjustments that won't damage the transmission. Sure I could experiment but what if I set something too high or low and smoke a clutch pack lol.
    You can lower clutch fill times but increasing pressure will take more time and the ramp rate could also be increased. Locking the converter at a different mph will build up line pressure sooner or later. I've taken oncoming and offgoing pressures over 100psi at 450 torque which was the highest axis.

You need to datalog trans commanded gear, trans fluid temp, trans gear ratio will tell you if the converter is locked. so will TCC slip, engine rpm, input shaft rpm and output shaft rpm. Trans throttle position, TCC line pressure and line pressure desired. Shift solenoid A - D pressures.
    I think those are all of the channels I use for auto trans.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatwhite5.0 View Post
    You can lower clutch fill times but increasing pressure will take more time and the ramp rate could also be increased. Locking the converter at a different mph will build up line pressure sooner or later. I've taken oncoming and offgoing pressures over 100psi at 450 torque which was the highest axis.

You need to datalog trans commanded gear, trans fluid temp, trans gear ratio will tell you if the converter is locked. so will TCC slip, engine rpm, input shaft rpm and output shaft rpm. Trans throttle position, TCC line pressure and line pressure desired. Shift solenoid A - D pressures.
    I think those are all of the channels I use for auto trans.
    I think one of the first things I added to my channels were all of those trans channels you mentioned there. I have a 4C converter and I pretty much got it perfect though I would like it to lock up faster. The point of my post is I was looking for a way to figure out the times. For instance you say lower times and increasing pressure will take more time... I do understand that pressure and time correlate however say you increased pressure 50psi.. how much time would need to be added? How does one calculate this lol.

Senior Tuner
    Just know when trans tuning a 6R80, its all open loop with no feed back sensors. They are slow, slower than you want them to be. You are not seeing what the actual pressure in the trans is, just what's inferred that it needs from engine torque input. Just what the solenoids think they are doing.
    You can command anything you want, it might do it, it might not. You will not know what its really doing.
    fluid temperature, input speed, output speed is all you have to really look at for feedback. As long as there isn't too much slipping/ flaring you should be fine to get more aggressive. You got slippage, you need more pressure(engine torque) or time to build/ release pressure, depending on where the slippage is. no slippage you can reduce pressure(engine torque) or time.
    6R80, and 10R80 are very picky about fluid type and level.

Make sure you are in control of engine output torque, and you are not hitting some limit. If you are hitting a limit, you are not controlling your transmission, the limit is. Same goes for TC control. Its just another solenoid with no feed back other than engine RPM to input shaft RPM and slippage.