Thread: Hi a newb here

Potential Tuner

Hi a newb here

Hello everyone,

I own a 04 gto with basic bolts ons with plans for a cam heads ect (normal stuff)

I bought hp tuner due to only 1 guy does it in my area and he has a back rap. Plus 1 tuning session HPT pays for its self.

Im not completely new to tuning as I was one of the first people to start tuning ATVs back when they 1st got fuel injection but this has a lot more goodies to play with.

Been watching and reading all I can to start playing with my stockish engine to get the hang of it.

Just waiting on my WB. Dang snow slowed everything down

Potential Tuner
    Guess my only question (I never see it discussed) Is the pop pop from a ls engine when you let off the gas/ down shift bad? I know in the atv world it was normally a lean condition and I could tune it out of it.

If the exhaust was hot enough and they was still fuel being sent into the exhaust when you let off, it will backfire/pop through the exhaust. Or if it's going into decel fuel cut-off, it may pop through the exhaust.

You hear this way more if you have aftermarket exhaust and no cats.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    If the exhaust was hot enough and they was still fuel being sent into the exhaust when you let off, it will backfire/pop through the exhaust. Or if it's going into decel fuel cut-off, it may pop through the exhaust.

You hear this way more if you have aftermarket exhaust and no cats.
    100% very loud on mine with headers and slp.

You can probably tune most of it out. Hard to know how everything is setup now and how on or off the airflow model is without seeing a log/tune.

You'll be able to straighten things out pretty quick using the wideband if they are.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.