Thread: Turbo 3800 camaro

Potential Tuner

Turbo 3800 camaro

I have a 1995 Camaro that ran on 10psi out of a 62mm Chinese gt35 for 4 months or so untuned then cracked a piston all of a sudden under light acceleration. I now have Keith black hypereutectic pistons, #105 comp cams springs, mildy hand ported heads, 1998 pcm(repinned), ac Delco platinum plugs(.035"), wideband afr gauge, full emissions delete(including o2's), 62mm turbo on 10-12psi. Also the trans has a fresh rebuild with a shift kit and 1-2 Corvette servo. I am extremely new to tuning but I want to learn everything I can. I tried modifying the tune all day yesterday and ended up with a car that idles horrible and won't accelerate. Now I'm back to the stock tune with vats delete. Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated!

Post the tune.

What injectors?

What fuel pressure?

Still running a MAF?
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Post the tune.

What injectors?

What fuel pressure?

Still running a MAF?
    Stock injectors, 60psi fuel pressure and yes still running a stock MAF. The problem I am fighting now is what seems like KR but it doesn't throw a code for knock and I have the knock sensors SES enabled for MIL on first error.

Why would knock throw a code?

It would just show up as knock in the scanner if you are logging the knock retard parameter.

Potential Tuner
    Why would knock throw a code?

It would just show up as knock in the scanner if you are logging the knock retard parameter.
    Oh i thought it would throw a code. my bad.. but i havent found how to log anything, im definitely a noob to tuning. how do i log for things like knock?

Add any channel you want to watch to the main channels list on the left side in the scanner. Once that channel is there you can add it or it will show up in the charts/graphs/gauges if it's already set there.

You want things like rpm, injector pulse width avg for both banks, knock retard, timing advanced, commanded AFR, throttle position, intake air temp, coolant temp, fuel trims, MAF sensor, MAP sensor etc etc.

Best thing for you right now is to go on Youtube and search " HPTuners basis" or " HPTuners tutorial"

This will give you the basics. It's much easier to learn from a video than from someones typed words.

You can also google " 3800 turbo " and find out a few things.

It took me a while to figure out HPTuners on my own. Luckily, the 3800 ECM is very ideal to learn HPTuners with.
    Last edited by ZeroBoostBuick; 1 Week Ago at 03:25 PM.

Your going to need bigger injectors, I plan on running 12PSI next year and have 60lb injectors running N/A, not too bad to tune with a wideband. On Camarov6.com theres a lot of info on turbo v6's. I plan on running the ST5 cam(Have VS cam right now) and double roller with some ported intakes and heads. Already have a few engine upgrades like L32 rods, 9:5.1 Diamond forged Pistons etc.
    1996 Camaro 3.8 M5 to A4 conversion, VS cam, 3" exhaust, 9:5.1 forged pistons, Clev.77 bearings, Comp 130lb springs/.105 pushrods, Manely modded retainers, Walbro 255, PLX wideband,65lb injectors, Every Suspesion mod. alot of other mods- GT35R Turbo.http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2441235
    2008 Silverado LTZ 6.0 L76 Dynomax exhaust K&N intake

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Skepsis View Post
    I have a 1995 Camaro that ran on 10psi out of a 62mm Chinese gt35 for 4 months or so untuned then cracked a piston all of a sudden under light acceleration. I now have Keith black hypereutectic pistons, #105 comp cams springs, mildy hand ported heads, 1998 pcm(repinned), ac Delco platinum plugs(.035"), wideband afr gauge, full emissions delete(including o2's), 62mm turbo on 10-12psi. Also the trans has a fresh rebuild with a shift kit and 1-2 Corvette servo. I am extremely new to tuning but I want to learn everything I can. I tried modifying the tune all day yesterday and ended up with a car that idles horrible and won't accelerate. Now I'm back to the stock tune with vats delete. Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated!
    Excuse me, let me get this straight, you're running 10psi on stock NA injectors with a high compression NA bottom end and you wonder why you chipped a piston? I've got the same turbo on a friend's car and we were maxxing out 550cc injectors on E85 at around that same boost. Scaled down for gasoline those would still be like twice the size of a stock NA 3800 injector. Message me on facebook if you want to chat about the setup and tune. https://www.facebook.com/zeph.hattan

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    my uncles car was a 9:1 3800 gt35r setup with 60lb injectors installed by some shop that said it would be fine. at 12 psi those piss ant things were at 93% . i put some id1k's in there and never went past 75. best thing i did to that car.
    rdrfabrication@gmail.com
    2016 GMC 3500 Denali Diesel
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Ecotec help can be found here:
    LNF-http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...357-LNF-Guides
    LSJ-http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...965-LSJ-Guides

Yeah , with the 65lb(60lb ) on our fuel pressure with just the cam and no boost their at 33%, I hope they can take 12psi. I have a walbro 255 pump so not worried about it. Ill just keep a eye on it. I hope I dont need bigger injectors.

Hopes and dreams are making those tiny injectors work even at 60psi, which is 16.5psi more than stock.

Tuner in Training
    Hopes and dreams are making those tiny injectors work even at 60psi, which is 16.5psi more than stock.
    Most 3800 cars are at about 52psi base pressure anyway, though to be honest I am not very familiar with the f-body ones.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by cobaltssoverbooster View Post
    my uncles car was a 9:1 3800 gt35r setup with 60lb injectors installed by some shop that said it would be fine. at 12 psi those piss ant things were at 93% . i put some id1k's in there and never went past 75. best thing i did to that car.
    Just to clarify, is this on E85? That sounds like a lot of injector duty for 60s on gasoline @ 12psi. Sounds about right for E...that's around where we were maxxed completely out on the 550s. 1000s are way overkill for a GT35 but nothing wrong with that I guess until you get above that 125# or so on E85 range then it gets fun trying to lean out the idle enough.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by ssms5411 View Post
    Yeah , with the 65lb(60lb ) on our fuel pressure with just the cam and no boost their at 33%, I hope they can take 12psi. I have a walbro 255 pump so not worried about it. Ill just keep a eye on it. I hope I dont need bigger injectors.
    At that base pressure you will most definitely be out of pump a bit before you are out of injector. Might want to step up to a 340 or add a boost a pump. Will give you the overhead to stretch that base pressure even further if you do need to stretch the injectors a bit.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    Would have gone to 80's but I liked the data support from ID at the time.