Thread: New guy with a few questions

Potential Tuner

New guy with a few questions

Hello random internet people! I'm new to this site and tuning, but not to bulletin boards or wrenching in general. I've always been interested in learning to tune modern computer controlled cars, and I've decided that there is no time like the present to start learning. I've been surfing this forum a lot in the last few weeks, and I also purchased and read Engine Management Advanced Tuning by Greg Banish, which has helped a lot with my understanding of everything I am reading on this forum. I feel like I'm ready to start taking some baby-steps with regard to actually tuning my car.

My car is a 2010 Camaro SS LS3 M6. I'm building a street/strip car that I plan to race 1/4 mile with starting next Spring. The car has a CAI, headers, cam & 4.10s so far. I have been loading remote tunes via an SCT X4 handheld device to support the modifications as I've progressed with the build. I installed my cam a few weeks ago, and after several revised tunes from my remote tuner it is almost satisfactory. I'm still dealing with low RPM cruise and return to idle issues right now. Other than cleaning up this tune, my goal is to be able to make minor tuning changes at the track as well as tune for future modifications.

I'm about ready to purchase the MPVI2 interface and software. I have an AEM wideband, but I still need to get a bung welded in for it. Hopefully I can get that done this weekend. I know it needs to be upstream of the cat. I am assuming that placing it on the header collector near the ECU O2 sensor is ok. Other than that, I have a few questions that I am hoping I can get some feedback on:

1) The remote tunes I have been loading are .cef files. Am I going to be able to manipulate the tables (assuming it hasn't been tuner-locked) with the HP Tuners software, or will I need to reload my stock tune and start from scratch?

2) If I do have to start from scratch, what is the best way for me to get my hands on at least a base tune that would compensate for my current modifications to stock? I've read about a repository on here, but I haven't found it yet.

3) I haven't looked at the instructions that came with my wideband in a few months. It has been sitting on a shelf and now I just moved so I'm not sure what box it's in ATM. Hoping you guys can answer my question so I don't have to dig it out before this weekend. How does it wire to the rest of the system? I remember that there is a wire that you need to hook up if you wish to datalog. Do I just need to pin it into an empty slot on the OBD2 port?

Any help that you can give me will be much appreciated, but I can't promise that I won't have more questions!!

Pic for attention:
    Last edited by zlathim; 02-04-2019 at 05:53 PM.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    assuming the ecm hasn't been tunerlocked you would read the ecm using our hardware/software and use that file as your base file to modify.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    assuming the ecm hasn't been tunerlocked you would read the ecm using our hardware/software and use that file as your base file to modify.
    Thank you for the information.