Thread: 2016 Focus RS - Throttle Closing

Potential Tuner

2016 Focus RS - Throttle Closing

Hi, I'm working with a Focus RS, the fuel mix was corrected, a little more boost added and I raise some torque limiters but the car still closing the throttle when testing. Looking to solve this issue, maybe I have more modified tables than I really need. Attached are the original file, the modified file, also a log with the stock tune and a log with the custom tune. What I'm missing? Some turbocharger table modification? I will appreciate any help.
    2016 Focus RS Stock File.hpt2016 Focus RS Mod File.hptFocus Stock Tune.hplTest 4.hpl

It's difficult to tell exactly what is limiting you based on the channels you've logged, I'd recommend logging more channels to help you out. Log things like actual load and desired load to see if it is a set load limit that is being hit (like LSPI limits) versus a set torque limit.

Also log things like driver demanded torque and actual torque to see if it is closing the throttle due to actual torque being higher than the driver demanded torque. You should also be able to log something like maximum torque allowed to see if you're surpassing that limit somewhere.

I'm actually still in the process of getting setup with HPTuners stuff so I'm not totally familiar with all the data channel names just yet I'm still accustomed to cobb's...But I'll help where I can heh.

If you can log some of those things and then post the log here then I'm sure we'd be able to see where the issue is.

But just based on what I can see it looks as if your maximum allowed torque per gear is set to 420tq.
    Max_Torque_Gear.PNG

And your torque model is set to show roughly 420tq at 3500rpm and 450tq at 4000rpm+ at a load of 2.4
    Torque_Model.PNG

Your log is showing a load of around ~2.36 which would indicate you're hitting your maximum torque limit per gear that is set at 420tq.
    Load.PNG

It also looks like the requested torque in your throttle mapping tables is higher than the max torque that you have set per gear. That could be why the throttle closures are happening throughout the log. You may try just adjusting your throttle mapping so the max torque requested is 420tq and see if that helps eliminate most of the closures.

As a side note I would leave the torque model tables at stock values since those values are what Ford has determined the torque to be at a specific load and rpm. Generally if you change the model then your requested torque values and limits etc..won’t match the real torque output of the car. You might set a torque limit of 420tq in the tune but the actual torque produced could be 370tq if you had changed the model as an example.
    Last edited by fingertuning; 02-07-2019 at 01:27 AM. Reason: Typos and more info