Thread: Upgrade Concern

Potential Tuner

Upgrade Concern

Saw on another forum that if you upgrade to version 4.x and write a tune, then absentmindedly use an old laptop with v3.x to read that same tune back in, your interface will get tamper locked or something and no longer work. Is that true? I am on V3xx still because I haven't had a need to upgrade, and am considering never upgrading if there is a poison pill that may kill my interface later. If this is true why does this happen?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Not true.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for the info.

Sorry to be a pain but can you or someone please confirm that if I upgrade to V4 and decide to go back to the version on my included USB stick (version 3.something), that this is not a problem. Or does the V4 upgrade also upgrade the MPVI or something and shouldn't be used with the USB stick version 3 again? Thanks for the quick reply BTW. Bill, you seem to be a one-man-show, they need to get you some help there LOL!!!!

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by 99DDTA View Post
    Thanks for the info.

Sorry to be a pain but can you or someone please confirm that if I upgrade to V4 and decide to go back to the version on my included USB stick (version 3.something), that this is not a problem. Or does the V4 upgrade also upgrade the MPVI or something and shouldn't be used with the USB stick version 3 again? Thanks for the quick reply BTW. Bill, you seem to be a one-man-show, they need to get you some help there LOL!!!!
    it shouldn't be an issue, however 4.x is lightyears ahead of what 3.x and previous versions were, with new supported vehicles, support for MPVI2, new tables, etc and best of all its FREE. There are very few reasons to even consider using older software.

Potential Tuner
    Trying to be vague here, but my main worry is not what HPTUNERS adds or removes, but instead what "outside influences" force HPTuners to add/remove.

I would be SO FRUSTRATED if I upgraded to some new version with no return path just to find that, say, some of my "offroad use only" options have disappeared. It's happened before apparently.

My main reason for testing an upgrade right now though was to see if a table was added for TCC lockup during cruise control as I posted in the I6 Transmission forum for my trailblazer. As long as I can always go back and just install fresh from my USB stick version that came with the MPVI I'm happy... will give it a try.

BTW I know you're busy based on your activity here but would really appreciate an answer to my post in the I6 Transmission section.
    Last edited by 99DDTA; 02-05-2019 at 02:36 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 99DDTA View Post
    Trying to be vague here, but my main worry is not what HPTUNERS adds or removes, but instead what "outside influences" force HPTuners to add/remove.

I would be SO FRUSTRATED if I upgraded to some new version with no return path just to find that, say, some of my "offroad use only" options have disappeared. It's happened before apparently.
    This!

How can i be reassured that what i can do with the software I'm currently using will not be disabled, hindered, be more cumbersome, and whatever else by a later version software?
    I have a burrito in my colon, yet refried beans come out...
    How i know it's from the same meal? I didn't ingest corn any other time.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    We'll cross that bridge if we ever get there. I know where you are trying to go with this thread but we aren't going there.