Thread: Brickable Write Calibration on a V8_97_98_ECM, GM Gen3 V8 (1998 Camaro)

Lightbulb Brickable Write Calibration on a V8_97_98_ECM, GM Gen3 V8 (1998 Camaro)

I think I remember reading somewhere that the early OBD2 Camaro's were dropping Bricks. So now I have a client with one and it reads Brickable for the Write Calibration. So I have to Questions:

1. Can I go to the P01 PCM and simply "Write Entire" and still retain all the factory body controls so the A/C and all that still work? or Would I need a dealer to load the tune, then reflash and rebuild my tune?

2. What makes this PCM so Brickable? I am curious because I have a benchforce powerblock from EFI Connection. If I had to I could directly flash the PCM every Time, in order to bypass the car's internal wiring if thats the problem. Or is the PCM just a brick straight-up???

Thanks

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    they are more sensitive to voltage regulation. Additionally they are now 20+ year old ecm's, nothing lives forever.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Thanks Bill! Can always rely on you! Say, would you know If I could switch to an P01 PCM or any other PCM for that matter and still run this tune? I need to retain body controls is what I am worried about most, Like A/C.

Thank you!

Senior Tuner
    I've flashed hundreds of 97/98 blue/red PCMs. Have never bricked one. Don't believe everything you read.

Potential Tuner
    I have a 98 TA and I've wrote entire twice and written calibration probably 100 times tuning my idle, ve and drag strip tuning. So far so good and the car has over 150000 miles. I was a little worried about it due to some of the horror stories I've read, but no problems yet.

Quote Originally Posted by 2xLS1 View Post
    I've flashed hundreds of 97/98 blue/red PCMs. Have never bricked one. Don't believe everything you read.
    Well When It says Brickable! I use Caution! Thanks for the response

Senior Tuner
    Any P01 or P59 is brickable. E40s and E38s are brickable under certain conditions. That's just a generic warning HPT uses.

Potential Tuner
    Please excuse my ignorance, but is there a thread on the differences with the three writeable options. Write entire.... Write Calibration...Write VIN, Tune. New and trying to get a handle on how these options work and what exactly each write. Thanks
    Last edited by tedgtfan; 02-08-2019 at 12:03 PM.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    write entire...writes all data to the ecu
    write calibration... writes only the changes that have been made
    write vin... writes a new vin (caution can cause issues if done improperly)
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for your quick response and info. A lot to learn here.