Thread: 2012 Dodge Durango R/T with 5.7 V8 stock VE looks wrong

Potential Tuner

2012 Dodge Durango R/T with 5.7 V8 stock VE looks wrong

Hi all

I'm from Switzerland and drive a 2012 Dodge Durango R/T with the 5,7l V8 Hemi. It's the 6 Speed transmission. New user to HP Tuners but have some experience with standalone ECUs like ECU Master, Holley or Megasquirts.

I have some questions about a possible issue.

I never did something to my ecu so it's stock and I just downloaded the stock tune. I then went ahead and wanted to compare a 2012 Dodge Ram with the same engine (I know that the intake etc. is different) just to compare some stuff. I have some weird hesitation (like fishbiting) issue on low RPM where the engine bogs and not really reacts as expected.

When comparing the VE Bank1 to the one of the Dodge Ram you will see the big big weird differences:

VE Bank 1 of my Durango:
    VE Bank 1 Dodge Durango.JPG

VE Bank 1 of a Dodge Ram:
    VE Bank 1 Dodge Ram.JPG

Doesn't look this completely messed up? How can this be? I even compared it to a 2012 Dodge Challenger with the 5,7l V8 and the VE map from Ram and Challenger were almost identical. At least they had a smooth map not such an erratic one.

Any suggestions on how do deal with that?
    Last edited by firefox7518; 02-06-2019 at 12:43 PM.

Potential Tuner
    I found a tune here in the forum from a 2013 Durango R/T and compared to this one the VE Map still looks off the place:
    2013 Durango VE Bank1 map:
    Attachment 86778

Hmm, so where to start here?

Advanced Tuner
    Does it have ANN/NN? If so the stock VE table does look like crap because it doesn't use it.

Potential Tuner
    Hi Jay

Yes it has it like the 2013 Ram too but the VE table of the Ram looks fine whereas the VE table of the Durango looks wrong. The Ram even have 7 Neurons instead of 6 of the Durango and Jeep GC. Thats why I was thinking that it is still using it for fueling too. The weights etc. are high mountains and deep valleys which would fit somehow to the bad VE in the same area which lead me to believe that the VE map is still used as the base and then from there the NN will apply or reduce more fuel.

And this also does not explain why the 2013 Durango has a much smoother VE map than my 2012 Durango.
    Last edited by firefox7518; 02-07-2019 at 12:38 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    I have compared challenger VE tables from Autos and Manuals and the Autos look like the Durango VE and the Manuals look like the Ram VE. Files attached so you can see for yourself.

2015 Challenger Manual 345.hpt
    2015 Challenger Auto 345.hpt
    Last edited by Homer; 02-07-2019 at 07:34 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by firefox7518 View Post
    Hi Jay

And this also does not explain why the 2013 Durango has a much smoother VE map than my 2012 Durango.
    It's because they aren't the same vehicle. If they are both stock, it doesn't surprise me. Why they are different...that I can't answer...Mopar does some strange stuff.