Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bricked Pcm?

Bricked Pcm?

I went out to flash the updated file in Tim's VT earlier, there was an issue connecting to the hptuners server aborted. Checked my internet connection and all was good, with the key still on I tried to write again and it timed out. Try to start the car and the fans come on just like when you are doing a flash. I tried to do a write entire with both a modified file and the stock file, and it also timed out failed. The car is stuck in my work parking lot. I emailed support about it, but it isnt looking good at all. Has anybody else had this issue? After it had the failed to connect during the server request to Hptuners database, the fans were already running as if it was flashing a tune. When I tried again, the erase took longer than usual and then the write calibration which normally takes 40 seconds...showed 100 minutes, then 256 minutes, 788 minutes, then 1048 minutes before saying that it timed out and the write failed. Somebody please help, this is his daily anand only car.

Potential Tuner
    I really hope HP can figure this out. My wife is BIG mad. I can’t afford to be without my car. I was really enjoying my new found power the car had and all the other times we’ve made revisions have been a breeze up until this fiasco.

Potential Tuner
    We had done nothing out of the ordinary and everything my tuner was showing me the issues we were having. There wasn’t anything we could have done to cause this problem since nothing was done differently in regards to flashing the Ecu.

I never lost internet connection. And it was successful at Gathering resources. My internet connection was still good when it failed to submit the request to the Hpt database. Tried again without turning the key off or anything, and the second time the request was successful, but the erase process took longer than usual, it started to write but only got to 3% in Akron 8 minute period, then timed out and failed to write. Tired again and the same thing. Key off, back on, failed again. Now we have a no start condition.
    Last edited by 95Gturbo; 02-06-2019 at 06:35 PM.

Tuner
    I hope this gets resolved quickly and the details are reported here. I've been on both sides before so can fully understand the feelings here.

I just hope this does not deter future buyers from the product. I would not have much worries myself other than being out $500 as I can tune and log already and have spare ECU on hand. But to the avg joes out there.......... :-/

Quote Originally Posted by 95Gturbo View Post
    I went out to flash the updated file in Tim's VT earlier, there was an issue connecting to the hptuners server aborted. Checked my internet connection and all was good, with the key still on I tried to write again and it timed out. Try to start the car and the fans come on just like when you are doing a flash. I tried to do a write entire with both a modified file and the stock file, and it also timed out failed. The car is stuck in my work parking lot. I emailed support about it, but it isnt looking good at all. Has anybody else had this issue? After it had the failed to connect during the server request to Hptuners database, the fans were already running as if it was flashing a tune. When I tried again, the erase took longer than usual and then the write calibration which normally takes 40 seconds...showed 100 minutes, then 256 minutes, 788 minutes, then 1048 minutes before saying that it timed out and the write failed. Somebody please help, this is his daily anand only car.
    Have you opened a support ticket? If not, open one here.

Make sure to include as much information as you can that the "Submit a Ticket" form asks for. Most importantly, make sure to include your debug.dat

While we try to monitor the forums throughout the day, submitting a support ticket is the fastest way to get a resolution.

I sent an email on a running ticket I had when I first had issues reading the vehicle, which were resolved in a beta update. I'll open a new one this evening when I'm able to get to the car and get the debug data.

New ticket has been submitted. Ticket number is 162384.

Any updates on this? Tim is still without his car, no response on the ticket yet. Hopefully we get something soon.

Tuner in Training
    what year VT, and what is the calibration code on the ECU I.E CNFU-XXX_XXX_XXX...?

2016, not sure on the cal code because the car is sitting in my work parking lot 20 miles away from my house.

Did they ever help you with the issue?

They updated the beta to no avail. We are sending the pcm to them tomorrow to see if they can recover it. It's no longer responsive. It is unlikely that a bench flash will be possible so we will probably be having to get a replacement pcm. Hoping for the best and expecting the worst at this point on it.

HPTuners, why do we have to be on the internet to flash basically any vehicle that requires the MPVI v2? This is very inconvenient, as most times this requires hotspotting to a cel phone, which isn't the most reliable. If this can possibly cause bricked PCMs, then HPTuners isn't really a viable solution for tuning these vehicles if a drop in cel service/wifi can brick a PCM.

Can you get rid of this requirement, or have it only once when you first open the file, and not during writing?

Quote Originally Posted by SSKev View Post
    HPTuners, why do we have to be on the internet to flash basically any vehicle that requires the MPVI v2? This is very inconvenient, as most times this requires hotspotting to a cel phone, which isn't the most reliable. If this can possibly cause bricked PCMs, then HPTuners isn't really a viable solution for tuning these vehicles if a drop in cel service/wifi can brick a PCM.

Can you get rid of this requirement, or have it only once when you first open the file, and not during writing?
    Internet is required for only certain vehicles (not necessarily all MPVI2 exclusive vehicles) and any part of a read or write required to use the internet is performed at a non-volatile point. So a drop in cell service or wifi will not result in a bricked PCM.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark@HPTuners View Post
    Internet is required for only certain vehicles (not necessarily all MPVI2 exclusive vehicles) and any part of a read or write required to use the internet is performed at a non-volatile point. So a drop in cell service or wifi will not result in a bricked PCM.
    So is the ECU in question indeed useless for the car? If so what would have caused this to happen?

Well, it looks like Hptuners was able to recover the pcm abd is overnighting it back! They worked with us the whole way through. Will report back once it is back in and running.

Pcm has been installed and the car runs great. Thanks a million to the guys at Hptuners HQ. Good as new.

Tuner
    Glad it's working! Now back to tuning! ;-)

I am also glad to hear they were able to fix it for you! Makes me less scared everytime I hit write....