Thread: Bad rev hang after 1st flash

Tuner

Bad rev hang after 1st flash

Hey everyone,
    1st time tuning a Focus ST. After my 1st flash, I am getting REALLY bad rev hang. I disabled gear shift hang, launch assist and anti shuffle. Can anyone help? I tried to re-enable gear shift hang but nothing changed.

Even when you step on the throttle, it will stay at whatever the max rpm was, 4000, 5000 rpm, doesnt matter. The car also slowly climbs to 1500 rpm and stays there if its at a stop.

In the tune I uploaded, I changed the gear shift hang back on though.
    Nate Focus ST 1st mod.hptNate rev hang.hpl

I see a lot of changes at least for an initial tune revision, I would honestly recommend starting from stock and make only a small amount of changes to start. If you could post a stock tune file for the 2016 FoST so I can use it to compare to that'd help as I haven't yet got my HPTuners stuff all setup just yet, all I have is a 2013 FoST file to compare it to atm.

But I see you disabled the torque control module switch, I would leave that enabled since the Ecoboost is designed around a torque based control strategy. The LSPI tables look to have been changed but mainly in the higher RPM range? Your Fuel Enrichment Pedal position values have been dropped to a very low value (something like 65% is a better value) overall. Tip In retard table has been set to all zeros it looks like etc..and your decel fuel cut is not kicking on when you're off throttle for some reason.

I would start from a new stock tune file, do a log and see what limits for spark, torque etc..are being hit via the torque source, spark source data channels and then begin adjusting slowly. Do something like increase the max torque limits a bit (like 315tq) and update your throttle mapping to request that torque value and increase the WGDC max from the stock 85%. Do a log and see what is limiting you then, it will likely be a load limit somewhere or a TIP limit. Monitor your torque source and see which limiter you're hitting and adjust from there.

Although I can almost guarantee your current issues are stemming from the Torque Control Module being disabled.

I'd be glad to help where I can!
    Last edited by fingertuning; 02-07-2019 at 06:00 PM.

Tuner
    Fingertuning, thanks for your input. It seems like the Torque Control Module being disabled [I]was the issue. I have bought the Tuning School Ford Mustang book and have been following most of their recommendations, that's maybe why it seems like a lot of changes for a 1st flash. I know the Mustangs are much different, but a good portion of the book translates over to the ST.

Yes the LSPI tables have all been modified in the higher rpm's, I am still going to work on them.

I am trying to tune this the correct way so I appreciate your input. I noticed after I turned the Torque Control Module back on, I was seeing a "5 popcorn" limit and an "Anti cluck TipIn TQ" limit.

Here is the stock tune file and a short run of the limiters.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Ahh gotcha, looking at the log the anti clunk is a system built in that controls how quickly torque ramps in on initial throttle tip in and shouldn't cause any issues unless it happens for an extended period of time for some reason.

The popcorn limit would be a LSPI limit, you could raise those limits to avoid that, something close to this should be adequate values to start with at least LSPI_Limits.PNG

Then you should be able to start upping the torque limits and request a bit more torque in the throttle mappings as well as raise the TIP max limits.