Thread: No start after engine swap

Tuner in Training

No start after engine swap

So I am doing an engine swap on a 99 ford super duty with an early 2004 cummins. I set the skim switch to disabled and I still cant get the truck to start. It builds 6k psi rail and has cam and crank signal. Its like its not firing the injectors. I get no smoke out of the exhaust either like its putting any fuel into the cylinders. Is there something I am missing that I need to do to get it to start? Ive swapped other trucks but all with 2006 and newer ecms and never had issues with them running. Any ideas???

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 94heritage View Post
    So I am doing an engine swap on a 99 ford super duty with an early 2004 cummins. I set the skim switch to disabled and I still cant get the truck to start. It builds 6k psi rail and has cam and crank signal. Its like its not firing the injectors. I get no smoke out of the exhaust either like its putting any fuel into the cylinders. Is there something I am missing that I need to do to get it to start? Ive swapped other trucks but all with 2006 and newer ecms and never had issues with them running. Any ideas???
    I don't have any good answers for you, but I can tell you that the disabling SKIM cannot be done via VCM Editor (ie. disabling SKIM in the calibration will not work, and has only ever led to a no-start condition when I was experimenting with it on a PL platform). In speaking with an entity that has the ability to disable SKIM in Chrysler PCMs, it is something that is done in RAM, and not ROM. So, if HP Tuners is ever to add said functionality, it would likely be performed through the scanner rather than the editor.

Tuner in Training
    It wouldn’t start prior to disabling the skim switch either. I also know that I have swapped ecms from one truck to another as long as they were pre 2006 ecms as I didn’t think dodge/cummins didn’t actually use skim until 2006. Not flashing them or anything just bolt um up and they will start. I wonder if its got a burnt inj circuit or something.
    Last edited by 94heritage; 02-08-2019 at 08:01 PM.